Penticton YoungStars Tourney (VAN/EDM/CGY/WPG) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Is Ferland actually good at fighting?
Search his fights on youtube, apparently he broke two jaws and an eyesocket even ended some poor kids career. Not sure he flat out dominates fights but his right hand is flat out lethal and he's tough as nails.

Think of a 6'1 225lb Jordin Tootoo with a harder punch.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You have to give him props for stepping up, but maybe he should have picked someone else to pop his fight cherry haha.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Search his fights on youtube, apparently he broke two jaws and an eyesocket even ended some poor kids career. Not sure he flat out dominates fights but his right hand is flat out lethal and he's tough as nails.

lets put him up vs Gazdic.

that would be fun to see

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
You have to give him props for stepping up, but maybe he should have picked someone else to pop his fight cherry haha.

Burke will teach him how to fight

But yeah why couldn't he gone after someone like Rankin or Slepyshev.. he had to go after nurse

Nurse looked like an NFL player when he was celebrating his fight win haha

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

But yeah why couldn't he gone after someone like Rankin or Slepyshev.. he had to go after nurse

Hailing from his good ol uncle and dad. Props to the kid for his first fight, but choosing to drop it with Nurse was a bad idea.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Slepyshev is 6'2 218. Probably not a great first fight either :laugh:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The guy has stones and didn't rolll over. That's what men do.

Yup, full marks for having stones in my books. He was impressive tonight in the O zone.

For the Flames I thought that their goalie was very good, Andersson and Kulak were impressive as well. I expected more out of Morrison though TBH.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I still don't see how anyone found that entertaining outside of the 3rd period

it was a drag tbh bc of the refs

Yeah the refs ruined the 2nd and early 3rd.

That unsportsmanlike penalty told me they didn't know what they were doing.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
lets put him up vs Gazdic.

that would be fun to see
Unlike Gazdic, Ferland can actually play. Gazdic is a monster heavyweight goon who may not see NHL ice again.

Ferland would probably try him though. He knocked out a 6'4 230lb Richard Nedomlel who hadn't lost a fight till then.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Flames fans have stuff to be very happy about. Bennett is going to be fantastic. And McDonald shows a lot of promise. Tough to peg goalies, but he's trending very well. They don't have too many big holes to fill on the adult roster. A true 1C and a true 1G are pretty much it. Bennett looks like he'll be the former. And there is a good competition to find the latter.

Drai and Nurse showed why Oilers fans won't shut up in their defense.

Very entertaining game, imo.

Reffing was iffy. But the flames got a 5 on 3 and the Oilers got a PS. I think those about even out.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Yeaaaahh no. Tootoo is 5'9 and has held his own against several NHL middle-weights. Ferland is a creampuff. He fought J.T. Miller and Tropp last year ffs.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Flames fans have stuff to be very happy about. Bennett is going to be fantastic. And McDonald shows a lot of promise. Tough to peg goalies, but he's trending very well. They don't have too many big holes to fill on the adult roster. A true 1C and a true 1G are pretty much it. Bennett looks like he'll be the former. And there is a good competition to find the latter.

Drai and Nurse showed why Oilers fans won't shut up in their defense.

Very entertaining game, imo.

Reffing was iffy. But the flames got a 5 on 3 and the Oilers got a PS. I think those about even out.

Agreed. Bennett has been unfortunately snakebitten the last two games, but I thought he's been playing really well. He could have at least 3-4 points by now. I think the NHL Flames need another young-youngish, true top-6 winger more than anything, though.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
Came here expecting Oiler fans to be planning a parade! Some are, most have the game in context though.

I though it was a really boring game. Lot of awkward hockey being played.
As for standout players?Calgarys goalie looked really good. Anderson on their D looked NHL ready. As for Bennett and Poirier? They spent more time on the bench watching than playing, which is fine.

As for Oilers, Drai looked good, well he looked ok. Nurse was solid. Chase looked good too.

Lot of scrubs on both teams played today. So many it brought down both teams skill levels.

Terrible game, yet I loved it too.

I must admit though at the end of the second period I thought the game was over. It was just so boring. Painful hockey to watch really. As for the guys that stood out today? It means nothing.

Good warm up for training camp!

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Agreed. Bennett has been unfortunately snakebitten the last two games, but I thought he's been playing really well. I think the NHL Flames need a young-youngish, true top-6 winger more than anything, though.

Thats the hope with Poirer, but it is more realistic to expect a middle six player. Good overall game minus the calls. As a fan who didnt like Drai or Nurse (prior to them being Oilers lol), they both caught my attention. Still think Drai needs more speed but maybe im wrong. Bennett tried to do too much out there, Poirier kinda just caught Bennett's rebounds while BvB did **** all. Impressed with Kulak, Bennett, Andersson, Lomberg, MacDonald/Gillies, and Mangiapane. Let down by Kanzig, and to an extent Fram because I already knew he was absolute garbage. The rest have just been okay. Early, but only Bennett makes the Flames.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Agreed. Bennett has been unfortunately snakebitten the last two games, but I thought he's been playing really well. He could have at least 3-4 points by now. I think the NHL Flames need another young-youngish, true top-6 winger more than anything, though.

Top 6 winger, probably. Young, maybe, but it doesn't really matter. If the player provides what the Flames need then young is a luxury. If they grabbed an effective vet via trade or FA, would it matter that much? At least in the short term?

The Flames are close, and a top 6 winger would certainly round things out. But as good as Monahan is, a 1C with the potential of Bennett and an elite 1G would both have a bigger impact. They are a fortunate team that they have the toughest part likely filled with Bennett.

I am hoping that eventually Alberta will be a road of doom that teams dread like it was in the late 80s.

Aceonfire*

Bennett looked gassed. He was all over the place in the Jets game, I think that wore him down a bit.

Young guys will do that. He is ridiculously talented though. Calgary needs to find some non-scrub wingers for him to play with though. Both in this tournament and in the NHL.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I get so pumped up for this every year, and as the games go on I realize its the same every year. Pretty much ECHL calibur hockey, so sloppy. 80% of each roster dont get a sniff of the NHL.

Am I high on that % ? In the last 5 years, how many players play in the NHL, compared to many attend?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Thats the hope with Poirer, but it is more realistic to expect a middle six player. Good overall game minus the calls. As a fan who didnt like Drai or Nurse (prior to them being Oilers lol), they both caught my attention. Still think Drai needs more speed but maybe im wrong. Bennett tried to do too much out there, Poirier kinda just caught Bennett's rebounds while BvB did **** all. Impressed with Kulak, Bennett, Andersson, Lomberg, MacDonald/Gillies, and Mangiapane. Let down by Kanzig, and to an extent Fram because I already knew he was absolute garbage. The rest have just been okay. Early, but only Bennett makes the Flames.

No I think you are right. Drai has stepped his first step up, and it's pretty effective at this level, but the NHL is a big leap. AHL time to continue to grow is the better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln