Post-Game Talk: Pens/Caps: Pens crush the Caps spirits.... again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
First game I watched so far this season.

Very nice performance overall. Shots totals told the story about the game more so than the score, I think. Kept the Caps under wraps for the majority and we had many quality chances to score more. A bit absurd that we had nothing ES, but special teams were glorious.
Caps first goal was on Murray who was otherwise strong, and their second was one of those shifts where Geno's line ran around and got bugged down. More correctly one of those many shifts where the Kessel controller was off in his own zone.

We do need that C who can push McKegg to the 4th line, but otherwise the only problem on our team is that we get far too little dominance from a line as expensive as Geno and Kessel combo will always be. I loathed watching Kessel most of last season, and I am sure I am being unfair and snappy with judgement after just one game (that I have seen), but this one was exactly the same. There will be games where they will pick opponents apart, but the sum of that line looks a lot less than the parts. Especially with our diminished C depth, Malkin's line has to be able to go toe to toe with everyone and come out on top more than not. I much doubt this happens with Kessel there.

This is still unpopular opinion, look how many points they get etc...

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
They looked like the 15-16 pens the first 2 periods. 3rd was a little rough but caps are a good team there's gonna be push back.

Murray played really well but that glove hand is always gonna give me anxiety. Like how is it so much worse than every other part of his game? Just bizarre to me.

Watched on my phone with no sound at work. Didn't realize tom wilson wasn't in. Can't wait til reaves beats his ass.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think part of it is that Sheary is just a better LW than RW. And I think he works better with a guy like Hornqvist on the other side instead of Guentzel.

Agree that Sheary and Horny are a good pairing. Since Geno and Phil have issues together, I wouldn't mind trying

shesry-Geno-Horny
Hags-McKegg-Kessel

agaimst the Bolts. The Bolts have spread out their offensive firepower. Wouldn't mind seeing us do that more

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah I hate harping on faceoffs in regular season. I think they are such a greater factor in postseason. So we have time to fix that. I'll get Zigomanis on the phone if needed.

Faceoffs were an issue last year as well. And what better time to work on them than in the regular season?

That said, it is early and as you say, there is a ton of time to fix the issue.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I was one of the posters all for having 71 and 81 on separate lines a couple seasons ago. But you're just not going to get anything out of Phil with McKegg as his center.

Malkin and Kessel aren't dominant in terms of possession, but they can score their fair share. Kessel is frustrating in general, but you put up with it because he's one of a handful of players who can score unscreened, from distance and with the opposition playing it as well as they can.

I like the idea of rotating Sheary, Rust and PH on Sid's RW. And love Sheary and PH with a legit center at some point.

I think Rust has earned his spot on the top line for now.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I was one of the posters all for having 71 and 81 on separate lines a couple seasons ago. But you're just not going to get anything out of Phil with McKegg as his center.

Malkin and Kessel aren't dominant in terms of possession, but they can score their fair share. Kessel is frustrating in general, but you put up with it because he's one of a handful of players who can score unscreened, from distance and with the opposition playing it as well as they can.

I like the idea of rotating Sheary, Rust and PH on Sid's RW. And love Sheary and PH with a legit center at some point.

I think Rust has earned his spot on the top line for now.

How I feel about Rust is he is that shot out a cannon guy he never needs firmly cemented to one particular line in the top 9, he is the guy you plug on which ever line isn’t going and needs to get going. On which ever night or period L1? L2? L3? Isn’t going, put him there... odds are it’ll get at a bare minimum it’s energy up and earn some chances. And I love that, Rust has far and beyond become my favorite role player on this team.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How much time did Sid spend with Horny? If that pairing is back on a regular basis, that changes the selection maths a lot.

It would also change my mind on the contract issue a lot.

I would like it a lot if Guentzel-Rust takes as a combo and come play-offs, we've got two wing combos we can plug and play with Sid.

Also - to utter heresy - but if Sid & Horny is back, and Geno & Phil keeps being a curates' egg, what money on Guentzel-Malkin-Rust?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I honestly thought this would be one of those regular season games the caps showed us up in.... figured wed start 1-4 this year justbased on who we play and when... this was a great win for an early season

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Poor Caps. They can't even win their Stanley Cup game in October.

My guess is that their devious plan is to lose in the regular season in order to break the Magic 8 Ball and win in the post season.

Unfortunately they seem to follow the same script in this game as they did in game 7 last post season where they could not find anything when it counted and went quietly into the night.

Caps-Gm7-urgency.jpg

Look familiar to tonight?

It is one of the criticisms of that team that honestly holds water until they dig down and make it untrue. All the talent in the world, none of the heart when things get tough.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I think JR needs to break his rule about not negotiating during the season. If Rust sees a good bit of time with Sid and 2nd PP time, he's going to be much more expensive come June.

Horny is what he is and his value isn't going to change much but, selfishly, I'd like to not be worried about it all Spring.

ETA: Actually since it is a contract year and I thought Horny's skating has looked a bit better, maybe it's better to be safe and do it early as well.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My guess is that their devious plan is to lose in the regular season in order to break the Magic 8 Ball and win in the post season.

Unfortunately they seem to follow the same script in this game as they did in game 7 last post season where they could not find anything when it counted and went quietly into the night.

Caps-Gm7-urgency.jpg

Look familiar to tonight?

It is one of the criticisms of that team that honestly holds water until they dig down and make it untrue. All the talent in the world, none of the heart when things get tough.

Caps strike me as a team that doesn't seem to score enough of the dirty goals that you need in the playoffs. Most of their scoring plays seem to be on tick-tack-toe plays, rather than their stars scoring on rebounds and tips.

I think the Pens having guys like Sid, Jake, Hornqvist, etc. who almost live in a 5 foot radius of the net when they score is where they have a big advantage over the Caps. Those goals, IMO, translate better in the playoffs than the beauty passing plays that result in shots from 20 feet out.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I know that there are a lot of transplanted Pittsburghers in DC and Pens fans are always well represented there, but was it just me or was it abnormally loud when the Pens scored tonight?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I know that there are a lot of transplanted Pittsburghers in DC and Pens fans are always well represented there, but was it just me or was it abnormally loud when the Pens scored tonight?

Maybe it's a form of Stockholm Syndrome? Caps fans are so used to the Caps being the Pens bitch, they've started to actually cheer for the Pens now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've watched waaaaay too much hockey in opening week. I've just had a lot of free time , which is nice. In terms of quality, I think tonight's game was one of the best i've seen. Good quality up and down the ice. I didn't think it was a poorly played game by either team. As others have mentioned, the Pens purpose in the first 2 periods was awesome. Great system, speed, tenacity. The game was officiated tight. It kept things in check.

Thought the quality was very solid for regular season by both teams. Caps really pushed in the 3rd.

Letang had a great game. Don't really get the hate on him.

I disagree. He didn't have a bad game in any way, but he had a Letang-like game. Some great, some poor, and some head scratchers in the middle. The one play that constantly sticks out w/. Letang is when he is the weak side defender and he stays so freaking wide. It's something he always does and that's how the Caps got a pretty clear breakaway late in the game. Dumo is expecting Letang to help and support. Letang seems to get caught wide at times and it's strange because as a dman you are dots-in when the puck is moving from the middle.

At the same time he still had his moments of good, especially his read to jump in while Horny was battling in the middle of the net. That was a terrific read. He could have just been standing at the point and that goal doesn't go in. Just squirts to the weak side. Great read of the play and athleticism to get in and knock that puck in the net.

Pittsburghers are transplanted everywhere, but I have a crap load of friends in DC (and surrounding areas). There were multiple cheers for the Pens tonight. I would imagine the tickets would be available as the fans don't want to relive the last 2 playoffs quite yet.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Caps strike me as a team that doesn't seem to score enough of the dirty goals that you need in the playoffs. Most of their scoring plays seem to be on tick-tack-toe plays, rather than their stars scoring on rebounds and tips.

I think the Pens having guys like Sid, Jake, Hornqvist, etc. who almost live in a 5 foot radius of the net when they score is where they have a big advantage over the Caps. Those goals, IMO, translate better in the playoffs than the beauty passing plays that result in shots from 20 feet out.

While I agree with all that you said, give the Pens some credit as well.

A hallmark under Sully, especially in the playoffs, is keeping the opposing team to the perimeter when they are in the offensive zone. It ain't easy getting to the front of the net when you play the Pens in the playoffs. And make no mistake, the Pens treated this as if it was a playoff game and gave their all as if it were a playoff game.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Caps had 7 total shots while down in the third period, and did they have any shots for the last minute and a half with Holtby pulled?

That reminded me of the lack of will in Game 7 when down in the third last post season, and the amazing effort to shut them down by the Pens both then and tonight.

As for Pens' fans in Washington, there are Pens' fans everywhere. But even more so, Washington is a very very easy drive. Pens have always filled that arena, to the point that their owner blocked sales to those calling from Pittsburgh area code telephone numbers.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Who was the last guy they had who was reliable for those greasy sort of goals? Knuble? I think it's Knuble, and he was old as Hell when they had him. Laich did, but he probably washed up before Knuble did, even if he hung around for a few more seasons (not contributing).

I guess Williams can, but he's more of a mid range shooter who does a little bit of everything on the side. And he's gone.

That's a good observation. The Capitals have collected players who score on particular types of plays that are less commonly available in the playoffs than the "weird bounce" or "whack at the pads" stuff. Before and after the Neal era, Pens have generally had guys who specialize in scoring ugly. Even our star centers are happy to poke at loose pucks or jam it under a goalie's pads, if that's the only play (Letang, too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad