Post-Game Talk: Pens/Caps: Pens crush the Caps spirits.... again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Some still do not get that the Pens never traded a first round pick, except in the most technical way. They moved down around 20 spots. Other focus on the Russian kid that St. Louis took that the Pens obviously had no interest in taking. They almost certainly would have taken the same player that they took 20 picks later with the pick.

The cost never was the issue for the vast majority who had/have an issue.

Well, it can be both. I wouldn't want Reaves for free, but much of the discussion when the trade went down centered around whether he was worth dropping down 20 spots or whether Sundqvist had flopped and there wasn't as much about the fact he's just not very good at hockey and that the Blues largely got run over when he was on the ice.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The book on every butterfly goalie is to shoot high glove because they block the low portion of the net and there is more room glove side than blocker side.

The "Murray has a weak glove" theory was just a narrative started by Murray haters last year to try to convince us reasonable people that Matt Murray is the next coming of Jim Carey.
it's a sucker play used by all goalies.....if you can get players to shoot where you want them to, you have made it much easer to stop them. like showing them the 5 hole then taking it away

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm more interested in the long term for this season. I firmly believe adding youth to this lineup, along with a competent 3C, will ignite us for 3rd straight run at the cup. If we add Archie, Sprong and ZAR to our lineup with a 3C, who goes?

I originally thought Sheary would be gone, but when you see him get chances last night, I'm not so sure. Rust was another candidate, but there are times when he looks like he might be our best wing on the ice. Kessel? No one believes he's getting shipped this season. But if they are falling in love with Rust and Sheary the way I am, who knows if Phil could on the block. Horny makes some sense due to age and contract status, but games like last night nuke any thought of dumping him.
Hags brings a tempo to the team that they like.

This quest for a 3C is very difficult for JR, not because of who they want, more so who they will let go. Thinking through all of the scenarios, I would not be surprised if the 3C comes from trading our best prospects. I shudder at the thought of losing Sprong but I can't pinpoint who else they would be willing to trade.

My first bet is Sheary, but I'm starting to think Sprong is their second option. Yikes

I think you're making some big assumptions about Rutherford's interest in trading our top 9 wingers. I think he's looking to pay in picks and spares for some team's misfit, and that the WBS kids should be praying for injuries.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm on Ovy's side anymore. Even during intermission they were like throwing jabs at Ovy for being down against the Pens while he was the one who had shots and scoring chances. :laugh: I guess it comes with the territory of being the team's best, but boy is he ridiculed for every single thing Washington does.

And when is Holtby going to get crap for his performances against Pittsburgh? He was good last night, but how many times can he be out-dueled by Murray or Fleury. For his status, you think he'd steal a game or something, right? But nothing. They'll never call him out. It's always Ovy who is in the wrong.

IMO - #8 looked dangerous last night. He was one of the few.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Our bottom two lines have scored a combined two goals so far right?
Depending where Sheary was playing when he had his non-PP goal, yeah. He and Reaves would be the only bottom 6 forwards with goals. They have more assists than that accounts for though, so at least one of our D-man goals must have come with a bottom 6 line I think.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I'm on Ovy's side anymore. Even during intermission they were like throwing jabs at Ovy for being down against the Pens while he was the one who had shots and scoring chances. :laugh: I guess it comes with the territory of being the team's best, but boy is he ridiculed for every single thing Washington does.

And when is Holtby going to get crap for his performances against Pittsburgh? He was good last night, but how many times can he be out-dueled by Murray or Fleury. For his status, you think he'd steal a game or something, right? But nothing. They'll never call him out. It's always Ovy who is in the wrong.

IMO - #8 looked dangerous last night. He was one of the few.

On the other hand, it is always Ovy when they do anything good - both are stupid reactions. Backstrom is criminally underrated. It comes with the territory, as you said.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Depending where Sheary was playing when he had his non-PP goal, yeah. He and Reaves would be the only bottom 6 forwards with goals. They have more assists than that accounts for though, so at least one of our D-man goals must have come with a bottom 6 line I think.

Sheary's non PP goal came, iirc, so soon after a PP that it was still the same unit out there. Helpers from Rust and McKegg, who were both bottom 6 that game, although Sheary was on Sid's line that day.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sheary's non PP goal came, iirc, so soon after a PP that it was still the same unit out there. Helpers from Rust and McKegg, who were both bottom 6 that game, although Sheary was on Sid's line that day.
I'll call that bottom 6 with those two. But Rust, Sheary, and Horny are all going to see time with multiple lines I'd imagine.

It looks like last year our bottom 6 had something like 112 goals. But that's counting Guentzel, Kessel, Horny, and Sheary as our top 6 wings, and doesn't account for when Guentzel wasn't even on the team, when Horny was hurt, or when Kessel or Horny were on the 3rd line. It also includes PP goals, and doesn't factor in that both Bones and Cullen spent time centering different combinations of our top 6 wings throughout the year when Geno was out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'll call that bottom 6 with those two. But Rust, Sheary, and Horny are all going to see time with multiple lines I'd imagine.

It looks like last year our bottom 6 had something like 112 goals. But that's counting Guentzel, Kessel, Horny, and Sheary as our top 6 wings, and doesn't account for when Guentzel wasn't even on the team, when Horny was hurt, or when Kessel or Horny were on the 3rd line. It also includes PP goals, and doesn't factor in that both Bones and Cullen spent time centering different combinations of our top 6 wings throughout the year when Geno was out.

If Maatta returns to offensive form I think you can get away with Rowney or McKegg for Cullen. I'd prefer Rowney honestly. McKegg looks like one of those guys who looks like he plays hard, but ends up doing absolutely nothing in terms of production.

Letang And Schultz chipping in 10+ goals each and Maatta putting in 5 - 10 would be killer production from our backend.

I still think it needs an adjustment. Ruh almost fit better than Cole last night.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Even if McKegg moves down to 4C, I wouldn't be expecting much offensive production from that line as long as Reaves and one of Kuhn/Rowney is playing on it with him. He's speedy, but the line will still be a checking and pk line primarily. It's not like he's any offensive threat. He helps pin opponents in their own end and forecheck or cycle. He'd be better than Rowney but he's not going to be a Cullen replacement unfortunately.

Now if Sully would play Wilson, Archi, Sheary, Hags, etc on that line, that would be a big improvement. It could happen if Sprong or ZAR gets called up and Sully gets tired of playing Reaves every night but he'll still want one or two PKers on that line.

Please let Minn suck and trade us Cullen back....

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pens played a great game, it could of easily been a 7-2 game if it wasn't for Holtby.

I'v watched most of the caps games this year, they are a slow team, you got no chance at winning anything in this league if your a slow team.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

In 13 playoff games against the Pens, he's had:

• 0.908 Save% overall
  • 8 games with a Save% less than 0.920
  • 5 games with a Save% less than 0.900
  • 4 games with a Save% less than an 0.880
  • 3 games with a Save% less than an 0.860
  • 0 [zero] shutouts
Woof.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
In 13 playoff games against the Pens, he's had:

• 0.908 Save% overall
  • 8 games with a Save% less than 0.920
  • 5 games with a Save% less than 0.900
  • 4 games with a Save% less than an 0.880
  • 3 games with a Save% less than an 0.860
  • 0 [zero] shutouts
Woof.

I honestly have rarely seen a goal Holtby gives up that he shouldn't. Even the goals last night were all freak bounces.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Maatta returns to offensive form I think you can get away with Rowney or McKegg for Cullen. I'd prefer Rowney honestly. McKegg looks like one of those guys who looks like he plays hard, but ends up doing absolutely nothing in terms of production.

Letang And Schultz chipping in 10+ goals each and Maatta putting in 5 - 10 would be killer production from our backend.

I still think it needs an adjustment. Ruh almost fit better than Cole last night.

I like Ruh as a Maatta partner a lot. Everyone's on their right side and Ruh has some good foot speed for rescuing Maatta with. It helps that Maatta looks better along the boards this season. Not that Hunwick is bad as a Maatta partner, but there's not a huge amount in it. And maybe we're better off with the third rightie.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Yeah Cole is miles better overall than Ruh ever will be and I like Ruh

Do you think Cole gets outmuscled in front last night on the Ovi goal? Doubtful.

Ruh fits this team well, but we've got puckmovers like him all over the blueline. Got to have at least 1 guy who is tough in the corners and in front of the net

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah Cole is miles better overall than Ruh ever will be and I like Ruh

Do you think Cole gets outmuscled in front last night on the Ovi goal? Doubtful.

Ruh fits this team well, but we've got puckmovers like him all over the blueline. Got to have at least 1 guy who is tough in the corners and in front of the net

I think the issue with Cole is that they aren't pairing him with Schultz who has elevated his game, I don't want Cole with Hunwick or Maatta.

Of course Cole is the better player.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
OXlRYyj.gif

Hahaha! Perfect.

Nubs with more legendary imagery. Outstanding, sir.

The Penguins winning isn't enough to quell the sadness of the Indians losing.

Someone get me a beer

Dude, it's the INDIANS. Ferchrissakes they lost to the two most World-Series-Cursed teams in all history and recent history. The Cubs because they could never get there and the Braves because they always got there and lost anyway. You want my prediction? The Indians will NEVER win a Championship until they get rid of Chief Wahoo and denounce it and apologize for its use. It's a f***ing curse, man. Even Cerano wouldn't be able to lift it. (The Braves won't win again unless they play the Indians again. Book it.) If I'm ever a World Series Manager in the NL, I want to play the Indians. My destiny will be unobstructed by the fact that I've never managed a major league game. :D

Tellin' ya... I'm not ordinarily a jinx-logic type guy (at all) but the Indians are f-ing cursed and they will stay cursed until they do good in the world / renounce their sins. Search your feelings. You know this to be true.

And hopefully that applies equally to the rest of NFL history for the Redskins. Buncha a-holes. Don't have to be politically correct to see that. A little common decency and common sense please. Why not just name the two teams "The Buck-tooth Scheming Injuns" and "Evil Injuns" and get it over with? Go the full 9 on that. Damn near the same thing with that mascot logo and that name.

Man, that team needs a lot more than Hornqvist. They need a transplant. They are dead in the water..

Leonsis. ALL of their failures begin and end with him. His excuse-making, "we shoulda won it," "we got screwed" attitude has hung over that team for years and it ends up infecting the mgmt and players too. That said unlike the Indians mascot logo and Redskins, I hope he stays that way forever.

:thumbu:

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the issue with Cole is that they aren't pairing him with Schultz who has elevated his game, I don't want Cole with Hunwick or Maatta.

Of course Cole is the better player.

Tbf, they had changed that back up... then Cole ate a puck.

Much as I like Maatta-Schultz, I think splitting them up helps the team more and elevates the other dmen.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Our bottom two lines have scored a combined two goals so far right?

Reaves has as many goals as Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel and Kessel have, yet he continues to be the team's whipping boy.

We lost in OT to St. Louis, Reaves was not the reason we lost. We got destroyed in Chicago because we had no legs at all. Reaves was not the reason we lost. He helped us win vs. Nashville, and has been a net-neutral the rest of the games.

I suppose it's going to take a 3-peat for people to stop this ridiculous anti-Reaves crusade.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Sometime in the last month or so, I did a breakdown of Cullen's production based on who else was injured. If I remember correctly, his production when he should have been on the 4th line (when Crosby, Malkin, Bonino where healthy and played) was a 23 pt pace. His production when he was playing up in the lineup, he was almost a PPG player - it was absurdly high and completely out of wack with what his production was when everyone was healthy. Basically he had more points in the ~22 or so games when someone was hurt then he had in the 50 or so games he played when everyone was healthy.

It's likely in one of the last 2 season threads if someone wants to look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad