Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Caps, 730pm NBCSN (Will vs Skill edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yesterday's game gave me a bit of hope, maybe the team and its main components will return to normal and start playing the way they should.

We saw crisp passing yesterday, all our passes were tape to tape and all the Penguins' passes were in the skates.

Well they had at least 2 guys sprinting into a breakaway chance any time there was a likely change of possession. They were clearly looking to shoot more and transition quickly. We can criticize the "effort" element but it's all tied together. The transition game and "crisp passing" doesn't happen if the motivation and energy isn't there.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Well they had at least 2 guys sprinting into a breakaway chance any time there was a likely change of possession. They were clearly looking to shoot more and transition quickly. We can criticize the "effort" element but it's all tied together. The transition game and "crisp passing" doesn't happen if the motivation and energy isn't there.

For sure, and I'd like us to play an aggressive offensive game. With all the different scoring threats we have, we should be able to put teams on their heels.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Hockey is a game where the level of effort and engagement make the most difference in outcomes of games. Its why coaching changes seem to have so much more immediate effect in NHL games than other sports.

The Caps definitely had a fire lit

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
D pinching more aggressively works so much better when the guys on the forecheck are actually skating and forcing the opposing D's to move the puck quicker. I wish that happened more often because it creates so much more speed through the neutral zone.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Everything clicking last night doesn't necessarily convince me that we can expect this moving forward. There are teams that play that type of game when "feeling it" and other teams that play it in their sleep. That type of crisp puck movement, going to the right spots, etc needs to be something Trotz emphasizes and works on in practice with regularity. Even if it means shifting his points of emphasis a tad.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
The Caps definitely had a fire lit

This is why in many ways, if the Caps have to play the Pens in the playoffs (which they inevitably will) I like to see them play each other in the first round. The Caps would pour a ton of energy into that series.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is why in many ways, if the Caps have to play the Pens in the playoffs (which they inevitably will) I like to see them play each other in the first round. The Caps would pour a ton of energy into that series.

that's crazy. very likely these are the two best teams in the east come playoffs. the capitals have never been past the second round with ov and you want to put the biggest obstacle in the first round?

That increases their chances at a first round out and increases the chances of a second round fade too. Lets skip them or play them in the CF

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We can't play them in the ECF unless one of the Caps or the Penguins ends up a wild card in the Atlantic division portion of the bracket (not very likely).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We can't play them in the ECF unless one of the Caps or the Penguins ends up a wild card in the Atlantic division portion of the bracket (not very likely).

I understand that. Its why the 1 and 2 seeds played in round 2 last season. My point was that Caps shouldn't be asking for a series with the Penguins in the first place and shouldn't want to play them any earlier than they have to.

I'd be pleased to see them lose in the first round.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I understand that. Its why the 1 and 2 seeds played in round 2 last season. My point was that Caps shouldn't be asking for a series with the Penguins in the first place and shouldn't want to play them any earlier than they have to.

I'd be pleased to see them lose in the first round.

txpd, deep down we all know the Capitals will have to beat the Penguins on their route to the franchise's first ever Stanley Cup.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
txpd, deep down we all know the Capitals will have to beat the Penguins on their route to the franchise's first ever Stanley Cup.

Rather see the Penguins take down the Rangers before that, though.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I doubt we will have many better games to catch this season, regular.

#SurfInTheirTears

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
So as I've mentioned before I live about an hour south of penguinville in Pennsylvania...ugh I know but the job brought me here...but days like today I live for. lol...I work in a large office with 4 desks, one in each corner. The other three guys are HUGE penguin fans. I work a late shift, the other three work early. I decorated the entire office in caps flags and posters. Two of them I know their password, changed their desktop backgrounds. Cannot wait for them to arrive tomorrow morning...:yo::laugh:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So as I've mentioned before I live about an hour south of penguinville in Pennsylvania...ugh I know but the job brought me here...but days like today I live for. lol...I work in a large office with 4 desks, one in each corner. The other three guys are HUGE penguin fans. I work a late shift, the other three work early. I decorated the entire office in caps flags and posters. Two of them I know their password, changed their desktop backgrounds. Cannot wait for them to arrive tomorrow morning...:yo::laugh:

Change their password to : letsgocaps1974

And no, that's not my password :laugh:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Change their password to : letsgocaps1974

And no, that's not my password :laugh:

If I wasn't already risking my job logging into other peoples accounts I would...but if they were locked out in the morning I'd be in trouble. :laugh: We share our passwords in case someone has someone locked out of a spreadsheet. lol

The entire building was mighty quiet tonight, I'll say that. :)

GO CAPS GO!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

That's hilarious...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If I wasn't already risking my job logging into other peoples accounts I would...but if they were locked out in the morning I'd be in trouble. :laugh: We share our passwords in case someone has someone locked out of a spreadsheet. lol

The entire building was mighty quiet tonight, I'll say that. :)

GO CAPS GO!

One of my friends is a Pens fan. It's gotten impossible to troll them now. It was easier when their team was underachieving like us. So instead I make fun of Fleury, that still strikes a nerve. Or I make fun of Malkin for having possibly the worst game of his life yesterday :laugh:

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky

Hahaha that's awesome! Wish there were caps fans around when I lived out that way in Brownsville area a few years back!

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

Troll level : EXPERT :yo:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Yea, but you know all they are to say is "Cup!!!" one after the other and that will cool the jets.

Don't poke the Penguin til its dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad