Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Caps, 730pm NBCSN (Will vs Skill edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Nicky can be one of the best players in the world when he's feeling it, but Sid is on another level. He has an extra gear when it comes to speed and net front plays. At his best, Nicky is a poor man's Crosby.

This statement makes me very sad because i have to agree with it unfortunately, Crosby has him on speed and net plays but they are separated by very little when it comes to everything else IMO. If Nick was more of a goalscorer there would be nothing separating them numbers wise and dare i say the Caps would probably have a cup too because his goals would have been that little extra boost to get over the hump in the playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This statement makes me very sad because i have to agree with it unfortunately, Crosby has him on speed and net plays but they are separated by very little when it comes to everything else IMO. If Nick was more of a goalscorer there would be nothing separating them numbers wise and dare i say the Caps would probably have a cup too because his goals would have been that little extra boost to get over the hump in the playoffs.

Nicky unfortunately can't be consistently dominant like Crosby, especially at ES. He relies far more on the PP to produce than Sid. They have similar skillsets, I'd say Crosby is better than him at everything except defense. Even that is debatable now with the way Crosby's been playing defensively since the end of last season.

There many things that if they had gone right would've pushed us over the hump. Kuzy not disappearing, GMGM not trading Forsberg etc.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Hmmmm i don't know what to make of Oshie struggling to answer what the team's identity is. The fact he had to think about it means it's still not clear? Hopefully it's because he was annoyed at having to look at that mouse Pierre and that threw him off his train of thought.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Nicky unfortunately can't be consistently dominant like Crosby, especially at ES. He relies far more on the PP to produce than Sid. They have similar skillsets, I'd say Crosby is better than him at everything except defense. Even that is debatable now with the way Crosby's been playing defensively since the end of last season.

There many things that if they had gone right would've pushed us over the hump. Kuzy not disappearing, GMGM not trading Forsberg etc.

Forsberg - i was driving the wagon on that one from the day that trade went down so i can concur 100%, worst move in NHL history. Kuzy i have to unfortunately agree with again. But just imagine how much it would help if Nick was a better goal scorer? Could you definitively say that the Caps wouldn't have had a much better shot at winning it all if that was the case?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Forsberg - i was driving the wagon on that one from the day that trade went down so i can concur 100%, worst move in NHL history. Kuzy i have to unfortunately agree with again. But just imagine how much it would help if Nick was a better goal scorer? Could you definitively say that the Caps wouldn't have had a much better shot at winning it all if that was the case?

Yeah but that's like saying, imagine if Ovi could play defense like Pavel Datsyuk and stickhandle like Patrick Kane. Nick is who he is. He just needs to find a way to hit the line with a lot of speed and put pucks on net like he did today. If he does that, he'll be a PPG+ player again, and the whole team will benefit from it.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Man what a great game. Finally they played the game we have all been asking them to play. They stayed aggressive with lead and continued to attack. Sure that means they gave up some chances against but Holtby bailed them out when he needed to. This is the style we need to play.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just got a chance to watch the second half of the game. That was fun. Love that the Pens coaches were complaining to the refs about unfair treatment. That breaks the irony meter. Really need Kuzy to find his game to give this team its full identity.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Very nice win by the boys tonight. Tomorrow will be a glorious day as I stroll around work and town in right dead in the center of Penguinville in my Ovechkin jersey. :handclap:

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
They need to find whatever stick the MONstars put Kuzy's skill into and quick. He's near the "maybe scratch him" zone.

I take the blame, he started sucking when I bought his jersey. It always happens. Mike Green, Brian Orakpo, Robert Griffin III, and now Kuzya. Always right when I buy the jersey...

haven't you bought a No.55 jersey in 2011? ;)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Riddle me this, chicken littles....

Does tonight's game now mean...that the sky isn't falling? Or is it more coal to the "they can't be motivated correctly, mental midgets, coached poorly" fires?

It's unrealistic to expect any team to blow out every opponent every night, but I believe their "normal" should lie some where between what we saw last night and the snoozefests we saw in Raleigh and Columbus.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Does tonight's game now mean...that the sky isn't falling? Or is it more coal to the "they can't be motivated correctly, mental midgets, coached poorly" fires?

Anyone can see the difference in their play tonight vs some of the uninspired play of the last several months. This performance looks more like the team that dominated early last season. One game does not equal winning the Cup, though. Sustaining this level of play is the issue, not talent.

The problem is still roster vs roles set by the coach, and the tendency to become complacent after "proving something". Trotz preaching defense then turning around and calling out his players for not having offensive aggressiveness is a mixed message. We've seen them dominate and play to their potential only to sink back into bad habits.

Let's hope they keep playing like this instead of what they'd been doing, and Trotz doesn't overcompensate with stifling defensive play the next time they give up a few goals.

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Ive been in the "too early to panick" wagon, so for me it just proof we can play at that level. I think we will start to see more of that, we have too much talent and half the team can't continue to slump all season.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
What a game:yo:

Nicky, shoot this ******* puck mooooooooore, please. His last 3 goals, deadly shots.:amazed:

It's like everytime we are on SH, we have a good opportunity to score, that's a good thing:handclap:

I wouldn't be surprised if Trotz changes the lines for the next games (or in 3-4 games). Now he knows 90-19-77/8-92-65 is working for the top 6, so maybe he'll save that for the PO and will continue the experiments.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Capitals or the Penguins?

Why would we care about that for the Penguins? Which team has 2 Cups and 3 Finals appearances in the Ovechkin era? One team has proven they can get over the hump. The other hasn't. So which one is less worried about a single game or week of bad play?

Come onnnnnnnn

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why would we care about that for the Penguins? Which team has 2 Cups and 3 Finals appearances in the Ovechkin era? One team has proven they can get over the hump. The other hasn't. So which one is less worried about a single game or week of bad play?

Come onnnnnnnn

pre playoffs, each season is different. yea, pens have two cups. concerns this season, what does getting blown out by a struggling team on a back end of back to backs with travel say? were that the capitals it would be said to say a lot.

my point is that nothing that the caps do now, positive or negative will make a lot of difference come playoffs. if they were perfect right now, all it would say is they are headed to another worthless president's cup.

Do the pens get more slack because they won last season? sure, but that same bunch played awful and got their coach fired last season too.

When the home and road games start to balance out, very likely the Caps will lead the division and possibly lead the conference. Then we will be back to saying they don't win right.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The thing about Nick's shot is that it seems to have more velocity and deception for goalies because they're looking for him to pass. On his first goal last night, you could see he had options entering the zone, and he's such a great play-maker that goalies can't get fully set for his shot because they think he's more likely to dish.

The same dynamic could be at play for Kuzy, but he needs to actually shoot when he gets opportunities like the one in the 1st period that he passed up.

What a night for Malkin, first the disallowed goal, and then he injures his goalie taking a dumb penalty that puts his team down 4 v 3 leading to a goal with 10 seconds to play in the 1st period. On a lot of teams, any player that did that might not see ice for the rest of the game.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
-Whining about refs
-Think that the NBC is anti pens
-Happy with the Ovi's injury (when he left the ice)

"Classy pens fans":sarcasm: :shakehead

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yesterday's game gave me a bit of hope, maybe the team and its main components will return to normal and start playing the way they should.

We saw crisp passing yesterday, all our passes were tape to tape and all the Penguins' passes were in the skates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille