Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Rangers 4 (OT): A Tale of Two Penguins Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I said this after last game but this proves it again, Crosby thinks the game at a higher level than anyone ever has. It's actually astounding that he wasn't the guy with the 4-point game. So amazing.

I'm not going to deny that the game tying goal was a great heads-up play, but I thought the rest of the game for him was pretty ugly honestly.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Maybe he can, but what exactly is a Kuhn - McKegg - Reaves fourth line going to be doing besides bleeding shots?

I'd take the argument that a Wilson - McKegg - Rowney line could be a good possession line, but I don't really see them scoring.
do you expect someone as good as Cullen? Because that means we have to get Cullen back. Or we need to get two 3Cs. I'd argue that those are one-in-the-same.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
An ugly win is better than an ugly loss. But man, that was sloppy.

Maybe we could stop taking stick infractions at some point.

It was almost worth it to see the look on Sully's face every time someone took a penalty.

I think the main argument with Maatta is we are going to have to get cheaper on our D. We could likely replace him with a tag team of Hunwick and Cole (at like 3.5) and the fact after Sprong, Maatta is probably the most valuable trade chip we could move without totally demolishing our roster.

I mean, I'm open to trading Sheary, but I think moving him would have a huge effect on our wing depth.

Wait. Are you advocating getting rid of Maatta at 4m and signing Cole at 3.5m?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
There's probably other people who actually believe that McKegg isn't a NHL caliber center at this point. They'll just wait until he goes scoreless for 7 straight games before they start coming out. Like the people who think Kessel sucks, they're going to come out when he has a bad game, not when he has a really good game.

Well, I guess I'm in the bad category. McKegg is doing really well right now but who the hell knows what we'll be saying about him in a month or two. Maybe we're talking about him as a real 3C, our 4C going forward or maybe he's a guy who couldn't keep performing at the necessary level. I think he'll be the 4C for the season once JR does something (check his pulse) but that could ultimately be an optimistic prediction.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's probably other people who actually believe that McKegg isn't a NHL caliber center at this point. They'll just wait until he goes scoreless for 7 straight games before they start coming out. Like the people who think Kessel sucks, they're going to come out when he has a bad game, not when he has a really good game.

Kessel's performance deserves more props imo - I think its got lost in the insanity. That was the Kessel I wanted to see - always looking for opportunities, some great shooting, even the occasional moment of use in the defensive zone. Maybe a bit lucky that they gifted that opportunity 3 on 3 when he and Geno both bit, but if its stupid and it works its not stupid.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Worrying in what way? A lot of the Pens sleep walked through a lot of the game, and much of the start of this season. And yet their record is good.

Malkin is a microcosm of this team right now. He had some rough spots tonight and STILL ended up with a goal and four points.

I only would be worried if I had doubts that they team could turn up the work ethic at will. The past two years has me believing. They can do what they want this regular season, taking it somewhat easy may even be smart. It is beyond obvious their skill will have them in the playoffs no matter what. So why dive to block a shot and risk an injury? Or why fight like Geno did? Don't worry, be happy, score goals. And wake me up at the end of April.

I don't see it as a matter of work ethic. It's not that I want them to skate harder or block more shots, I just want to see them play smarter in their own end. Making correct decisions. If they get beaten to pucks that's fine. If there is a bad bounce or a shot that should have been blocked that's fine. If the other team plays outstanding hockey and we're just not in it, that's fine. It's stuff like not picking up sticks around the net, watching the puck instead of making a play on it, making dumb passes that is bad. None of that requires more effort or sacrifice, it's just good habits.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Was searching for Sully's take and found it finally.
He said the mess of penalties in the 2nd really disrupted the flow.
That they were pressing in the 3rd and thats why it was so sloppy.
That they had lots of time and there was no need to press. "we can score goals without needing to press like we did" basically.

Also, i think Sully + Martin + Gonch would turn Shattenkirk into a really good version of himself here in PIT but that train has passed. Schultz is our guy now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wait. Are you advocating getting rid of Maatta at 4m and signing Cole at 3.5m?

Not advocating. I was one of the main defenders of Maatta on here the past two years.

I just understand the thought process in trading him. Obviously it is a short sample size, but we are paying twenty million to our top four and bleeeeeeeeeding goals. Part of that is losing Bones and Cullen, part of that is our top four being really good puck movers, but not necessarily the most sound defensive unit.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't see it as a matter of work ethic. It's not that I want them to skate harder or block more shots, I just want to see them play smarter in their own end. Making correct decisions. If they get beaten to pucks that's fine. If there is a bad bounce or a shot that should have been blocked that's fine. If the other team plays outstanding hockey and we're just not in it, that's fine. It's stuff like not picking up sticks around the net, watching the puck instead of making a play on it, making dumb passes that is bad. None of that requires more effort or sacrifice, it's just good habits.

It was not just being outworked.

The Rangers were a desperate embarrassed team at home. They simply did not have the horses but were playing as if their was their cup.

The Pens except for a couple players?

yeah-well-whatever-dude-im-on-vacation-man.jpg

Reactions: LiquorLicense

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
do you expect someone as good as Cullen? Because that means we have to get Cullen back. Or we need to get two 3Cs. I'd argue that those are one-in-the-same.

No. I just think this board's flavor of the week mentality when it comes to center solutions is insanely hypocritical. TB was an easy in for 3C after a prospect camp. McKegg is better than Bones after seven games.

There is a reason TB is in the minor and there is a reason McKegg is a career twenty game player with most teams. He isn't a real solution for a championship squad. He is Rowney part 2.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Regarding the d-zone - it's hard work. It comes with a crap load of moving your feet, supporting, stopping/starting, etc. Those shifts suck. It's hard work. They'll figure it out when it matters but I believe the holes you are seeing come with sometimes trying to make a lazier play because making the strong/smart one is a lot of work at times. So you see Sid fling a puck in a dangerous area because it's not worth taking a hit at this time in the season to chip a puck out. We are also doing a lot of standing/waiting instead of pressuring the right way.

Oh well. It's October. The dog days of the season are still to come. More lazy play WILL happen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No. I just think this board's flavor of the week mentality when it comes to center solutions is insanely hypocritical. TB was an easy in for 3C after a prospect camp. McKegg is better than Bones after seven games.

There is a reason TB is in the minor and there is a reason McKegg is a career twenty game player with most teams. He isn't a real solution for a championship squad. He is Rowney part 2.
If he can't keep it up, maybe. That's a real possibility. But right now he's playing good hockey. Far better than rowney. Good enough to get by at 3c. I don't see him keeping that level up, but he has room to fall while still being a solid 4c.

Sometimes a guy just needs a real chance. We were in a unique situation to give him one. We had a hole in a bigger role than he's ever played, with better wings than he's ever had, and in a system that focuses on his biggest strength. Maybe we get lucky and he's magically able to be our 3c. Maybe he is a solid 4c. Or maybe he turns back into a pumpkin. But right now he's playing well.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Um we are bleeding goals because our defensive system that we have won with relies heavily on shotblocking and challenging shooting lanes and forwards hustling in the defensive zone... all of tgat is high energy, high injury risk stuff best suited later in the season and playoffs...

The last two years we have had such issues... remember Fluery being blamed for bleeding goals last first half? Or us overcommitting to defense the year before under johnson and looking tired and offensively inept....?

Its the first half .... we aren't missing the playoffs... this isn't a finalized roster... it will be fine

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
In positive news my man has the Pens in good position for the conference, division and entire NHL early in the season with his projections.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Also im pretty sure Sullivan likes Rowney too much to bench him when we do add another center... im hoping he just gets moved to wing with McKegg, but ultimately if Mckegg gets moved as part of the package that brings us the 3c upgrade most want, I wont be wrecked... the guy has done everything that most here thought we might get out of one of the AHL guys if given a chance.... but I still think Blueger is the preferred long term bottom six C of the staff and FO... we didn't need a LTS with him, just a stopgap... any value he adds either on the ice for us or in a trade is gravy

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
In positive news my man has the Pens in good position for the conference, division and entire NHL early in the season with his projections.

I like this guy too but come on....after 13 days, you'd have to say 1) njd deserves more love and should be in the top four, and 2) wash should be dropped out of playoff contention and 3) no way the Pens as they currently are playing are winning the Presidents Trophy. Have to give the Metro lead at this point to CBJ. Just killing it so far.
Keep it real Micah....

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Negative: another one goal game.

It's not safe to play one goal games. Team needs to do better. No reason they should have to squeak by, or leave door open for opponent to get a lucky one and win.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
No one thinks McKegg is 3C material.....just that he's better than Rowney, Faster and fits our team better. I thought he was solid as a 4th liner in Florida. Anyone complaining about McKegg being 4C is just spoiled from Cullen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad