Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Rangers 4 (OT): A Tale of Two Penguins Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Part of me wanted to see the pens lose that game.

Pens are now gonna keep on playing pond hockey til they lose a couple games in a row and realize they have to start playing the right way.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Pens are now gonna keep on playing pond hockey til they lose a couple games in a row and realize they have to start playing the right way.

Why? Pond hockey is fun to watch and they're winning. They can adjust to playoff hockey come spring.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I know it's always a risk thinking that a team will turn it on in the post-season, but I'd like to just take a second and point out that the last two years have seen us do exactly that- flip a switch. I'm not saying we will 100% do that this year, just that we've looked pretty lackluster the past two years in the beginning of the season, and we've found another gear under Sullivan in the post-season.

Again, no harm in thinking there's things to fix on the roster or with the system or execution. That's fine.

We looked how we are playing now the majority of the playoffs outside of a Game 5 and 6 in Nashville and that blow out in Ottawa.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I absolutely love where Maatta's game is at right now. It feels like he's back on track. Now with the core mostly on the wrong side of 30 the Pens need guys like Maatta to mature and reach a higher level.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I think this team can beat most teams in the NHL playing pond hockey, and will continue to do so until March with the exception of the odd big game against a rival and the odd reset game when the losses get unacceptable.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Didn't realize the playoffs were right around the corner. :sarcasm:

Reactions: NEPA

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Why? Pond hockey is fun to watch and they're winning. They can adjust to playoff hockey come spring.

I'd rather see the pens play the way they did against Nashville when they were motivated to play the right way after getting embarrassed by Chicago, or the caps game when they were motivated because it was the caps.

They aren't going to win a high percentage of their games playing pond hockey.

Pond hockey games are 50/50 games that either team can win, it comes down to what team finishes more of their chances and what goalie plays better.

Its also terrible for your goalies to be giving up 4 goals a game and seeing their save percentage start with an 8, eventually those guys will start to lose confidence.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
God knows what version of Chrome is on this computer but this site is the only one that messes with it. I feel like the ads are perpetually loading and slowing the entire thing down. As I type, this comment shows up about four words every three seconds.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think this team can beat most teams in the NHL playing pond hockey, and will continue to do so until March with the exception of the odd big game against a rival and the odd reset game when the losses get unacceptable.

I don't think they will win most games playing pond hockey, their 50/50 games that either team can win.

The Tampa Florida NYR games could of went either way.

If you want to win more then 50% of your games you play the way you did against Nashville and the Caps.

Like i said in my first post it will take a couple losses for them to get back to playing the right way.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pens have the best collection of high end forward talent in the league with three defensemen who can score goals (with Maatta regaining his rookie form).

I’d say trading chances is gonna go in our favor more often than not with Murray in net. And with a really underrated group of D-men.

You don’t want it to become a habit, but it is what it is this early in the season.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have no way of proving this, and i'm not even sure if i'm accurate, but it seems like the pens have actually lost more of these wide open games over the years then they have won.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

Pond hockey is fine in Oct...it's actually exciting to watch. If they played systems hockey now, everyone would be bored to sleep.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I have no way of proving this, and i'm not even sure if i'm accurate, but it seems like the pens have actually lost more of these wide open games over the years then they have won.

Most of the 11-12 and 12-13 seasons were wide open. We were regular season beasts. Problems came in the playoffs. And we have even more weapons now than before with Guentzel and Kessel.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I'd rather see the pens play the way they did against Nashville when they were motivated to play the right way after getting embarrassed by Chicago, or the caps game when they were motivated because it was the caps.

They aren't going to win a high percentage of their games playing pond hockey.

Pond hockey games are 50/50 games that either team can win, it comes down to what team finishes more of their chances and what goalie plays better.

Its also terrible for your goalies to be giving up 4 goals a game and seeing their save percentage start with an 8, eventually those guys will start to lose confidence.

To each their own. It's hard to worry about the big picture coming off of 2 straight cups. The great thing about being a Pens fan right now is that there is zero pressure with winning another cup any time soon. Anything we add is gravy at this point, so let's have fun!

Reactions: NEPA

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Challenge Malkin, and see what happens? And hopefully people will stop with the nonsense about Malkin and Kessel not working together.

Hopefully we keep these lines intact for 20-25 games. If the first line isn't on, the second one usually is. Either one can carry us through the first half of the schedule.

I wonder when our first loss in regulation with Murray starting is going to occur. If we only lose when Niemi starts, our record will be spectacular.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I feel like the PK is atrocious, and fixing that (along with the backup situation) will go a long way towards looking like the real Pens. Simple adjustments with a lot of time to do it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Challenge Malkin, and see what happens? And hopefully people will stop with the nonsense about Malkin and Kessel not working together.

Hopefully we keep these lines intact for 20-25 games. If the first line isn't on, the second one usually is. Either one can carry us through the first half of the schedule.

I wonder when our first loss in regulation with Murray starting is going to occur. If we only lose when Niemi starts, our record will be spectacular.
For the record, and not arguing one way or another, the OT play was actually an accident turned good. Both 71 and 81 went to the dman behind the net. All he had to do was put it anywhere on the ice that wasn't right into Kessel's crotch, and it's a 2 on 1 the other way.

Sooooo while I love they scored the winner, I don't look at how that play developed as a great thing.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I feel like the PK is atrocious, and fixing that (along with the backup situation) will go a long way towards looking like the real Pens. Simple adjustments with a lot of time to do it.

Sad thing is that Kuhn will get lauded (and rewarded with being dressed) with his shot blocking on the PK. Yea it's good to block shots but often times the puck just scoots to another offensive player while you're hobbled. Witness the TB PP goal with .01 secs left

Reactions: tom_servo

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
For the record, and not arguing one way or another, the OT play was actually an accident turned good. Both 71 and 81 went to the dman behind the net. All he had to do was put it anywhere on the ice that wasn't right into Kessel's crotch, and it's a 2 on 1 the other way.

Sooooo while I love they scored the winner, I don't look at how that play developed as a great thing.

Eh. Beggars can’t be choosers with Phil. At least he pressured a guy enough to cause the turnover.

They’ll always be a adventure in 3 on 3.

Hopefully the center we pick up will allow us to play 87, 71, and 81 separately at times. You can just roll them all OT then.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

after seeing our players hit the lone defender on the blue line on our break outs time and time again. i'm starting to think they coach them that way.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think they will win most games playing pond hockey, their 50/50 games that either team can win.

The Tampa Florida NYR games could of went either way.

If you want to win more then 50% of your games you play the way you did against Nashville and the Caps.

Like i said in my first post it will take a couple losses for them to get back to playing the right way.

My memory of last regular season includes a lot of pond hockey, a lot of playing a good period to take the lead then coasting towards disaster, and not much playing the right way. Oh, and a lot of winning.

Maybe my memory is wrong - although being 1st for Shots For and 4th for Shots Against least season says not - but consider this season's pattern. We played the right way after losing two and what happened? A few games later, we're squeaking by teams in wide open games and people are talking about the need to go back to playing the right way and needing some defeats to learn some lessons.

I'm sure we will play the right way for more than one period after our next couple of losses. But is it going to last? I don't see why it will. I don't see why anyone is expecting it. Sully's system takes a lot of focus and energy to play the right way and this team has been through the wringer, emotionally and physically.

And history says we won't need to play the right way all the time.

Reactions: tom_servo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I agree with this, but I'd be worried if we have to play a healthier more skilled team that plays Ottawa's style against us.

Eh, the only reason Ottawa gave the Pens fits was Anderson was playing out of his mind. Ottawa didn't "defend" any tougher than Columbus or Washington did, they just got a much better (and in comparison to Bobrovsky, much, much, much) goalie performance than those two did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad