Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Rangers 4 (OT): A Tale of Two Penguins Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Gave you the 100th like for this. He wakes Geno up and touches an easy to see hand pass to allow us to score. I love Kevin Shattenkirk. He's the gift that keeps on giving.

He's stupider than Letang and that's saying a lot. So glad he's in our division....

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Maatta is quietly having a fantastic offensive start to this season. Masterful flip pass to Hagelin to spring him. 8 points in 8 games.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You can tell the future now, too? Great, what are tomorrow's lottery numbers?

You make fun of McKegg's faceoffs, guess what? He's doing better on faceoffs so far this year than Bonino ever did in Pittsburgh. But you'll ignore that because the majority of what you do here is just ***** and moan.

He has been above 50% in two games. Tampa and tonight. Let's not crown McKegg the faceoff king just yet.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He has been above 50% in two games. Tampa and tonight. Let's not crown McKegg the faceoff king just yet.

He was above 50% in the St. Louis game, Tampa Bay game and tonight. He's also at 50% on the year, which you're ignoring is better than anything Bonino did here.

McKegg on the year: 1 goal and 3 points in 7 games, +1 and 50% on faceoffs
Bonino so far this year: 1 goal and 1 point in 5 games, -2 and 47.0% at the dot
Bonino through 7 games last year: 2 goals and 2 points in 7 games, -5 and 48.9% at the dot
Bonino through 7 games in 2015-2016: 1 goal and 1 point in 7 games, even and 51.8% at the dot

But stats are for nerds, right? McKegg is only a 13th forward based on his play so far this year and Bonino is a 2C caliber player playing 3C.

McKegg has done literally everything that anyone could have hoped for from the 3C spot. If you're complaining about him, you just complain too much.

If you're ignoring the stats, that's a you problem. People can see right through your charade.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This club has an uncanny ability to look like crap for too much of a game and still end up with a positive result.

I mean, I'll take the win and stuff. But it would be nice to see a bit more of a consistently dominant team for 60 minutes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll make you a wager that McKegg isn't playing here by February.

K sure bud. You can just tell the future now, so why need to make a bet on it? You know exactly what's going to happen, since you know that McKegg is going to regress and in no way, shape or form can possibly become a better hockey player at the old age of 25.

McKegg has done nothing but suggest he's at least a fine 4C caliber player based on his play so far in Pittsburgh. Full stop. End of discussion. Thinking otherwise is just wrong, or the standard contrarian BS that usually comes from these discussions.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
K sure bud. You can just tell the future now, so why need to make a bet on it? You know exactly what's going to happen, since you know that McKegg is going to regress and in no way, shape or form can possibly become a better hockey player at the old age of 25.

It really isn't "telling the future." It is that he is literally Zach Boychuk 2.0 and does nothing impressive besides skate around the ice fast and throw some decent passes.

If McKegg is playing heading into the trade deadline, I'm going to be a little worried.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Remember all the people that wanted to ship him out?!?!

The best was the few posters wanting him taken in the expansion draft.

If some Pens fans on HF would have had their way, both Kessel and Maatta would be playing elsewhere right now.

And Hornqvist, and Malkin, and Crosby, and Letang, and Dumoulin, and whoever else. The board has had people trying to trade everyone. It's a high strung place.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If he didn't like his game he wouldn't dress him to begin with. Especially not at the expense of a younger, quicker player who has proven himself to be a solid bottom 6 player. I mean, Sullivan liked Wilson enough to even give him minutes on Malkin's wing in the pre-season. How do u go from that to sitting the guy entirely?

I find this point weird as well and thought maybe Wilson has a small injury? Has he been practicing with the team? I believe he has...

Reaves, may be a team thing where you heard JR sorta point to the team likes when he's dressed...dunno. <<<This makes the most sense to me at the moment.

But the Wilson vs Kuhnackl thing is weird. Perhaps it's as simple as they prefer Kuhn in and on PK duty than Wilson. Thats not too far fetched with this current roster. When/if JR finally gets his 2-way 3C that can PK, you'll probably see Wilson preferred over Kuhnackl again.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes, Zach Boychuck, a smaller skilled forward who couldn't translate big AHL numbers into NHL numbers, and Greg McKegg, a more defensive, speedy grinder center, are the same player. I don't even know why I engage in these discussions at this point. Some people make up their minds before even seeing the players and refuse to admit they're wrong.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, how he didn't fall ass backwards into at least a few more points will remain a mystery. I think the points right now can only be good for his confidence and he's playing more aggressively.

If he's even close to a ppg by the end of the season I'll eat dog food.

Bookmarked.

Even if he didn't have the midas touch in the attacking zone at the moment, I'd be so happy with his game right now. Just like I'm pretty happy with Schultz right now, even if his attacking game is currently a bit slow.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Maatta is quietly having a fantastic offensive start to this season. Masterful flip pass to Hagelin to spring him. 8 points in 8 games.
Definitely agree with Maatta and this is why many of us wanted to wait and see because he is so young and has gone through so much.

But the flip pass- I think he flubbed it a bit. I think he wanted it higher. But the flub was good because it had great english on it. I could be wrong. I think it was flubbed.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And Hornqvist, and Malkin, and Crosby, and Letang, and Dumoulin, and whoever else. The board has had people trying to trade everyone. It's a high strung place.

You could almost make quite the impressive 5-man unit for all the players HF Pens wanted to trade this off-season.

But that's what makes HF interesting. There are people I agree with, and then there are people who are wrong. :sarcasm:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This club has an uncanny ability to look like crap for too much of a game and still end up with a positive result.

I mean, I'll take the win and stuff. But it would be nice to see a bit more of a consistently dominant team for 60 minutes.
In October? I'll save that for the playoffs and in 2016 they did it. 2017 was a bit different since they were surviving injuries. They jumped out on NY like they were the best team in the NHL. That nice glimpse reminds us how good this team can and will be.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's the big thing I don't understand, and if someone else understands it, please explain it to me. Ruhwedel was signed by the Penguins last offseason as a 26 year old that only had 33 games of NHL experience. He was the standard Warsofsky or Gaunce type of guy, AHL depth that could pass as a NHLer over a short period of time. He did extremely well when called upon in the NHL, and cemented himself as at least a #7 defenseman caliber player. People actually argued over the summer that he should be getting regular minutes as the #6 defenseman this season, mainly when people were arguing against bringing in Hunwick.

So here's my question, why is that standard applicable to Ruhwedel, but not to McKegg? It can also be applied to Taylor Chorney, who did something very similar in 2014-2015. Why is Ruhwedel good enough to be a #6 defenseman, but McKegg isn't even good enough to be a 4C? McKegg is in the same exact boat as guys like Chorney and Ruhwedel, he's just a center instead of a defenseman. All of them were like 25-27 year old players who spent most of their pro careers in the AHL, and then had success with the Penguins.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In October? I'll save that for the playoffs and in 2016 they did it. 2017 was a bit different since they were surviving injuries. They jumped out on NY like they were the best team in the NHL. That nice glimpse reminds us how good this team can and will be.

Damn it, Cole. Let me have my moment of entitlement. I've had to endure a summer long of people complaining about Nick freakin' Bonino despite winning back to back Cups, so I'm allowed to be selfish in my own way at some point. :sarcasm:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think the main argument with Maatta is we are going to have to get cheaper on our D. We could likely replace him with a tag team of Hunwick and Cole (at like 3.5) and the fact after Sprong, Maatta is probably the most valuable trade chip we could move without totally demolishing our roster.

I mean, I'm open to trading Sheary, but I think moving him would have a huge effect on our wing depth.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here's the big thing I don't understand, and if someone else understands it, please explain it to me. Ruhwedel was signed by the Penguins last offseason as a 26 year old that only had 33 games of NHL experience. He was the standard Warsofsky or Gaunce type of guy, AHL depth that could pass as a NHLer over a short period of time. He did extremely well when called upon in the NHL, and cemented himself as at least a #7 defenseman caliber player. People actually argued over the summer that he should be getting regular minutes as the #6 defenseman this season, mainly when people were arguing against bringing in Hunwick.

So here's my question, why is that standard applicable to Ruhwedel, but not to McKegg? It can also be applied to Taylor Chorney, who did something very similar in 2014-2015. Why is Ruhwedel good enough to be a #6 defenseman, but McKegg isn't even good enough to be a 4C?
My advice to you - don't let one person speak for the masses. :)

Main goal - 3C. Once we get a 3C, I am damn fine with McKegg taking over 4C duties all season. Say magic strikes and we get Cully back, too, as our 4C. I want McKegg as our #13. Not Kuhn. Not Rowney. Not Reaves. I think he really fits this team and while he's extremely far from perfect, he's doing his part.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Damn it, Cole. Let me have my moment of entitlement. I've had to endure a summer long of people complaining about Nick freakin' Bonino despite winning back to back Cups, so I'm allowed to be selfish in my own way at some point. :sarcasm:
You did fight the good fight all summer, thus permission granted. You may have 1 PGT per month where you turn into KIRK and criticize everything.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

So here's my question, why is that standard applicable to Ruhwedel, but not to McKegg? It can also be applied to Taylor Chorney, who did something very similar in 2014-2015. Why is Ruhwedel good enough to be a #6 defenseman, but McKegg isn't even good enough to be a 4C? McKegg is in the same exact boat as guys like Chorney and Ruhwedel, he's just a center instead of a defenseman. All of them were like 25-27 year old players who spent most of their pro careers in the AHL, and then had success with the Penguins.

Maybe he can, but what exactly is a Kuhn - McKegg - Reaves fourth line going to be doing besides bleeding shots?

I'd take the argument that a Wilson - McKegg - Rowney line could be a good possession line, but I don't really see them scoring.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My advice to you - don't let one person speak for the masses. :)

Main goal - 3C. Once we get a 3C, I am damn fine with McKegg taking over 4C duties all season. Say magic strikes and we get Cully back, too, as our 4C. I want McKegg as our #13. Not Kuhn. Not Rowney. Not Reaves. I think he really fits this team and while he's extremely far from perfect, he's doing his part.

That was more so directed at anyone who doesn't think McKegg is a NHL caliber center at this time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sooooo pixie? Maybe 5 other users?

There's probably other people who actually believe that McKegg isn't a NHL caliber center at this point. They'll just wait until he goes scoreless for 7 straight games before they start coming out. Like the people who think Kessel sucks, they're going to come out when he has a bad game, not when he has a really good game.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
To add on from my last post:

The 3C JR eventually gets solves alot if it's the right type of player. Let's say the ideal best of the best at that position is a Staal or Kesler(he won't get them but the 2-way stalwart is more the point)

Hags/Wilson-Staal/Kesler-Rust/Phil/Sprong/Horny

And the 4th line becomes something like:

Wilson/Sheary-McKegg-Rowney/Reaves/Kuhn/Horny/Sprong

Those are the long term types of trios JR/Sully will be looking at and it's no wonder JR isn't settling for just anything @ 3C. He wants these types of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad