McKenzie: Penguins Send Draft Pick to Vegas to Guarantee Selection of Marc-Andre Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
No, because Vegas won't be a competitive team while Fleury is under contract. Why handcuff yourself to that cap hit when suitable, much cheaper options are available?
i think they want to pick Fleury to be competitive. Fleury makes you competitive even if that means he's not going to carry you in the playoffs.

it's just Las Vegas making the most out of anything and everything
1x

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I just want to point out that the majority of you said that the Pens wouldn't have to give up anything for the Knights to take Fleury. Clearly not realizing that taking Fleury was more a favour to Pittsburgh than it was Vegas. I'll wait for y'all to own up to being wrong.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=133264477&highlight=#post133264477

You will no doubt find that many Pens fans could conceive of giving something minor, whether pick or prospect.
Just like you can find oodles of non-Pens fans arguing how GMGM really should have JR over a barrel.
Also more so than the 31st pick would indicate.

Surely, some will look back in very adamant posts and think "should not have gone there".

Personally, I can rationalize a late first, but given when the deal was likely made it would just be a 1st, and in that case I'd honestly be a bit miffed.

Anything else to get the certainty, cap-relief and no Murray problem.... big win for the Pens. Not a loss for Vegas mind, as surely GMGM see some of those extracurricular talents many of us have harped on about. But surely a more than decent end result for the Pens.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I just want to point out that the majority of you said that the Pens wouldn't have to give up anything for the Knights to take Fleury. Clearly not realizing that taking Fleury was more a favour to Pittsburgh than it was Vegas. I'll wait for y'all to own up to being wrong.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=133264477&highlight=#post133264477

The draft pick is more about protecting other players exposed to Vegas like Rust. Well worth it considering MAF played a huge role in another Cup!! If that is being wrong than great!!

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
No, because Vegas won't be a competitive team while Fleury is under contract. Why handcuff yourself to that cap hit when suitable, much cheaper options are available?

You realize there's a cap floor right? I doubt they go much above that and Vegas won't be terrible. Their D and G could be decent. Forwards will be weak though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
i think they want to pick Fleury to be competitive. Fleury makes you competitive even if that means he's not going to carry you in the playoffs.

it's just Las Vegas making the most out of anything and everything
1x

A goalie duo of Fleury and Mrazek/Grubauer/Raanta, with Linus Ullmark sitting in the minors this year would give them a solid core of goalies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You realize there's a cap floor right? I doubt they go much above that and Vegas won't be terrible. Their D and G could be decent. Forwards will be weak though.

Exactly. They need to come up with 55.4 million, and Fleury helps with that. Vegas will probably want a lot of younger guys to build around, and those guys tend to be cheaper, so having a couple of highly paid veterans like Fleury makes a lot of sense.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
As I have stated before, they are accumulating picks to take players and then trading all of those players for picks. They will draft their entire inaugural roster this year.

Do it McPhee. All teen team. The Vegas Golden Teens.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

The majority also said that there was no way MAF would waive his NMC and the Pens would have to buy him out or Murray would be lost. When is the owning up for that going to start? We've known he waived for quite some time now and the people who insisted he'd force the Pens hands have been strangely silent on the subject.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Probably a good thing considering that he's significantly worse than MAF, despite ONLY getting paid 750k less then him. :laugh:

Don't know what's so funny, Lehtonen will make 5M, Fleury 11.5M.
Beside Lehtonen there are more than a dozen goalies who were better than Fleury and earn only peanuts.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this will be a 2nd or 3rd. Maybe even just a 4th. It's not exactly a favor to take Fleury. He's still a great starter. McPhee seemed to want Fleury, but to guarantee he takes Fleury, you've still got to give a little something

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Beside Lehtonen there are more than a dozen goalies who were better than Fleury and earn only peanuts.

And Lehtonen's cap hit is higher. And your measure of who is "better" based on your hand-picked stats doesn't actually make it true.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

lol, whatever.

This implies that Lehtonen is better than Fleury - which couldn't be further from the truth. And while there are a dozen goalies better than MAF, some of whom do in fact only earn peanuts, none of them are actually available in the expansion draft.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh

:biglaugh: There are at least 12 better goalies than Fleury that also barely make anything!? :biglaugh:

Yup. That's enough HFBoards for one day for me. :biglaugh:

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh

You a wrong. MAF, played sporadically this season as MM's backup and he was never able to get into a rhythm. He's the kind of goalie that needs to play a lot. So you can take his numbers this year with a grain of salt. The first half of the season last year while Mike Johnston was still the coach MAF was the Pens MVP the first half of the year. The team couldn't score and won a lot of 2-1 games because MAF played out of his mind. Even Sid couldnt score. He was playing really well when he got hurt right before the playoffs that season, Matt Murray took over and the rest is history. But the Pens arent even in the position to turn it around and win the cup in 2016 if not for Fleury.

So two years ago in his last season as a starter with a terrible coach for most of it he won 35 of his 58 games and had a .921 save %. I would take last seasons numbers with a grain of salt because he didn't play much. He's only 31 and I honesty believe he was getting better with age. He doesn't flop around as much as he used to and is more fundamentally sound. If not for Matt Murray, I would be happy to have him as the Pens starter for the next 2 years.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
And Lehtonen's cap hit is higher. And your measure of who is "better" based on your hand-picked stats doesn't actually make it true.

Who cares about cap hits, Vegas will likely not be a cap team. But Foley would save millions with Lehtonen instead of Fleury.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Who cares about cap hits, Vegas will likely not be a cap team. But Foley would save millions with Lehtonen instead of Fleury.

You do understand the difference between 2 years and 1 year right? He only makes 750k less this year and next year he will have a different goalie instead of Lehtonen, not just saving the full $5.75mm.

So if they got a Raanta or someone and extended him for 5 years at $2.5mm AAV, then that makes him more expensive than Fleury? $12.5mm>$11.5mm. Brilliant logic.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Not really. With Lehtonen he'd get a sack of **** that couldn't do anything - for which he'd have the pleasure of paying him 5m. With MAF he gets a legitimate #1 goalie who is actually useful to his team, and for which he'd pay him 5.75m a year.

The latter is significantly more valuable to Vegas then the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad