McKenzie: Penguins Send Draft Pick to Vegas to Guarantee Selection of Marc-Andre Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think it's your own secret how you can come up with 5.75M Foley should save without Lehtonen.
OMG is your math wrong
A hint for you, Lehtonen never made 5.75M in a single year.
Please spare us with your stupid posts.

No, but he did make more than that in each of the last 4 years (6.25m, 6.25m, 6m, 6m). :laugh:

So I'm not sure I'd be so quick to point fingers about math, being wrong and stupid posts. :laugh:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
No. You get to protect Murray and not lose a more valuable player.

And the cap space. Which is huge right now. Sign a backup like Condon and we will still have about 4.5M in space for RFAs.

Also, after the career Fleury has had for the Pens (ups and downs alike) and after the playoffs he just put together, having him leave like this doesnt sting at all. If we were sitting here with the only Pens cup being 2009, yeah, I'd be a little cheesed off. But today, I dont care that we're not getting a pick or prospect for him. He's played his part and helped deliver success. I thank him for the memories and wish him all the best.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Fleury is a slightly above average #1 goalie in the NHL. This isn't disputable.

McKenzie twittered today that Vegas will get a pick for taking Fleury. Why would pit do that if Fleury would be an above average #1 goalie? pit staff must be idiots.

In fact Fleury was #59 last season and pit will pay to get rid of him.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
No, but he did make more than that in each of the last 4 years (6.25m, 6.25m, 6m, 6m). :laugh:

So I'm not sure I'd be so quick to point fingers about math, being wrong and stupid posts. :laugh:

Yup plus, if what we were discussing was the money he would save by only having 1 yr of Lehtonen vs 2 years of Fleury, then the $ he would be saving would be Fleury's contract, not Lehtonen's. Which is... shockingly, $5.75mm/year.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Wouldn't be shocked if LV passed on Fleury. A waste to pay a guy that much to get shelled night after night.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
McKenzie twittered today that Vegas will get a pick for taking Fleury. Why would pit do that if Fleury would be an above average #1 goalie? pit staff must be idiots.

Can't be too stupid - they managed to construct a team that won back to back cups for the first time in the cap era and the first time in 19 years. :laugh:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

You're trying to assess his value in a bubble, and we all know the draft situation is complex.

It would be like saying "lol, the Wild cant get anything for Eric Haula, what a bunch of idiots". Losing one asset for nothing is worth the trade off.

Also, I assumed #59 was some kind of statistic you cherry picked, but if you're really saying he is second-to-worst starter/backup in the NHL then wow :laugh:

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

MOD, please merge my posts.

59 in what exactly? :shakehead

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
And the ones that insisted that MAF wouldn't waive his NMC.

Exactly. "But but but WHY WOULD HE DO THE PENS A FAVOR? They crapped all over him by playing Murray. Its a business not a friendship. He would make an extra million or so with a buyout." etc etc.

Wishful thinking that went nowhere. From where I'm sitting, this is the perfect result as a Pens fan. I dont care that we couldnt get a 2nd-4th rounder for someone. And thank god in heaven we never shipped him at this year's TDL. I mean, a fourth from Calgary would have been nice, but I'll take the Cup instead. :laugh:

Apr 9, 2009
USA

#59? What does that even mean? Why not 58?

If we're throwing out random numbers without context, I fit in this party. Just look at my username. It's a lot bigger than 59. What do I get?

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
listen lenny, im glad you're so concerned about the penguins asset management but honestly, riding the wave of back to back stanley cups its tough to really get upset even if they do get fleeced here.

I speak for all penguins fans, i assume, when i say we really appreciate your concern.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Sv%

Over the last 3 years Fleury ranks tied for 14th of all goalies with at least 60 combined starts over those years in the regular season.

Over the last 3 years Fleury ranks 12th of all goalies with 4 or more starts in the playoffs.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Lol what happens now to Penguins fans that guaranteed compensation would not be required. New avatar or something?

What happens to Pens fans that said there was a handshake deal between MAF and JR to waive the NMC for ED, and got laughed at because MAF "wouldn't be stupid enough to do that and not squeeze every penny he can". Business or something....

listen lenny, im glad you're so concerned about the penguins asset management but honestly, riding the wave of back to back stanley cups its tough to really get upset even if they do get fleeced here.

I speak for all penguins fans, i assume, when i say we really appreciate your concern.

Isn't this the poster that said the Pens were going to lose Murray to Vegas?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
This couldn't have worked out better for the pens. Don't lose Rust or Cole while gaining 6 mill in cap space.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Naw, the Pittsburgh staff are just brilliantly stupid idiots. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Naw, the Pittsburgh staff are just brilliantly stupid idiots. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Yup, he keeps pounding on the Pens for giving Fleury that contract. It really killed us. We got what we could get out of him, including holding onto him this trade deadline to have the luxury of 2 starters, which we needed both of in order to win the cup this year. And now we will be out of that contract without losing any other players or taking back any salary and with a seamless transition to our new starter.

Man, what a brutal job by the Penguins in handling the situation. All we got were 2 cups out of it (3 over Fleury's tenure), and absolutely no issues moving forward with no residual damage to our roster or cap space. Really brutal. :laugh:

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
LV had a couple of options for a starter via the ED. Seems reasonable to get something in return to guarantee ahead of time that MAF would be picked off. Pitt doesn't lose a young forward and doesn't have to find a deal that fits Fleury's no-trade list. Totally worth an asset.

Personally think he is a great fit for LV. As an Oiler fan, young goalies constantly bailing out even younger players' mistakes tends to break them in the head. Fleury and a few vet defencemen in the top4 would be wise plan for developing all the picks that are incoming.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Personally think he is a great fit for LV. As an Oiler fan, young goalies constantly bailing out even younger players' mistakes tends to break them in the head. Fleury and a few vet defencemen in the top4 would be wise plan for developing all the picks that are incoming.

Most rational people see MAF and LV as a great fit. MAF despite his flaws is an extremely likeable individual and a great teammate. After the 2nd cup, there was one line that said he was unhappy about not getting the net back - that's it - 1 line that only came out after the win. Why? Because he was the ultimate teammate and professional at every turn. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single bad thing said about MAF the person or MAF the teammate that was not related to his on-ice performance. And even then despite his poor playoffs for several years running, all you heard was good things about MAF.

LV will probably have several players front and center as they try to market their new team... but I'd be shocked if they get someone who'll be a better ambassador then MAF.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Pitts 1st 3 picks in the draft

31 is going to vgk the last pick in the 3rd shouldn't be enough

Could always be a pick next year. Reports are Vegas has lined up picks into 2018 and 2019.

If it's next year I'd speculate more likely to be a 2nd then a 3rd.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
Again, you can't look at MAF's save % last year and judge on that:

MAF, played sporadically this season as MM's backup and he was never able to get into a rhythm. He's the kind of goalie that needs to play a lot. So you can take his numbers this year with a grain of salt. The first half of the season last year while Mike Johnston was still the coach MAF was the Pens MVP the first half of the year. The team couldn't score and won a lot of 2-1 games because MAF played out of his mind. Even Sid couldnt score. He was playing really well when he got hurt right before the playoffs that season, Matt Murray took over and the rest is history. But the Pens arent even in the position to turn it around and win the cup in 2016 if not for Fleury.

So two years ago in his last season as a starter with a terrible coach for most of it he won 35 of his 58 games and had a .921 save %. I would take last seasons numbers with a grain of salt because he didn't play much. He's only 31 and I honesty believe he was getting better with age. He doesn't flop around as much as he used to and is more fundamentally sound. If not for Matt Murray, I would be happy to have him as the Pens starter for the next 2 years.

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If I'm Vegas I'm saying give me next years 2nd. Why take 31st when there is a great chance that the Pens won't win the cup again? Man I'd take 2nd round 2019 pick if Rutherford would let it go.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
They want guarantee that they will take him and make him their #1. It's more respect than anything for him and he deserves it.

I have no problem with this

No its not, its to make sure they aren't carrying a backup goaltender at a nearly 6 million dollar cap hit. They couldn't care less how Vegas uses him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad