McKenzie: Penguins Send Draft Pick to Vegas to Guarantee Selection of Marc-Andre Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

With Nick Bonino also exposed, for example, there would have been the possibility that Vegas might not have taken Fleury. According to Bob McKenzie, the Penguins will send a draft pick to Vegas to ensure that the player they select is Marc-Andre Fleury.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
My theory back in January or something around there:

Pens want to get this done early, JR made it clear he wants to keep Fleury for the playoffs so a trade @ the deadline is something he wants to avoid and with Fleury's M-NTC, it could become somewhat challenging to trade him after the playoffs & before the ED with little time.

McPhee doesn't want to commit to any deals, especially when the player makes as much money as Fleury does, but if the Pens sweeten the deal with a good pick and make it impossible for McPhee to pass, he can make an exception and get it done.

Fleury and his family can relax and know what to expect, Pens keep 2 good goalies for the playoffs, free up cap space, avoid losing a skater and stay classy regarding Fleury.

Everybody wins.

Still think that's the case.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Hope it is only a late rounder.

It should be a compensation not to draft Rust or Cole and should be double what DAL would offer to take Lehtonen with only 1 year left, especially when Fleury has a NTC.

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
It should be a compensation not to draft Rust or Cole and should be double what DAL would offer to take Lehtonen with only 1 year left, especially when Fleury has a NTC.

This trade was likely made before lists come out. Thats why he exposed Rust and Hagelin. Won't include a first.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Likely 2017 3rd.

I guess DAL would offer nearly the same to take Lehtonen with only 1 more year on his contract. Vegas would still not have an expansion benefit from PIT when drafting Fleury. It would be different if Fleury would be traded to Vegas after the expansion draft.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm going to guess anywhere between a 3rd and a 5th, with the potential to be a bigger deal. It's going to be an insignificant asset.

It also sounds like it's just speculation from McKenzie, for what it's worth. It also wouldn't surprise me if this deal was done months ago.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
The thread title is misleading, McKenzie never said something about "Guarantee Selection".
This could just be a side deal after the expansion draft.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I know McPhee has said he wants to space the draft picks out over three or four windows so that all of those contracts don't expire at the same time.

If we're talking 1st-round picks, then from a Pens perspective, obviously 2017 would be best since they know its the last pick of the round.

Anything other than 1st round, it probably doesn't matter which year.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Only worth it for PIT.
There is no expansion benefit for Vegas, especially with his NTC.

Perhaps. Keep in mind, though, that expansion teams need a face and a name to attract new fans. In Fleury, they're buying a three-time cup winner (two of which he earned), the opportunity to make headlines locally when he wins his 400th career game -- which is a marketing opportunity to educate new fans and pump up his bonafides so fans think "hey, maybe this isn't just a crappy expansion team after all" -- and a guy who is universally regarded as one of the most likable people in sports. And he's pretty good in net, too.

This team won't be competing for the cup over the course of his contract, and the deals that GMGM is swinging -- plus the generous terms of the expansion draft -- put the franchise in a good position to organically grow. Now it needs to be able to sell itself to fans. And a player like Fleury helps the team do that. Will he do it as much as a Crosby or McDavid would? Of course not, but of those available, he probably was one of the best options.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Wouldn't it be cool if 1 team had 10 picks in the first round? Holllllllly COW would there be a lot of hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad