McKenzie: Penguins Send Draft Pick to Vegas to Guarantee Selection of Marc-Andre Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
So in a span of a year we go from Pittsburgh wanting a first for Fleury to them giving up a pick just to get him off the team

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
So in a span of a year we go from Pittsburgh wanting a first for Fleury to them giving up a pick just to get him off the team

They want guarantee that they will take him and make him their #1. It's more respect than anything for him and he deserves it.

I have no problem with this

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It should be a compensation not to draft Rust or Cole and should be double what DAL would offer to take Lehtonen with only 1 year left, especially when Fleury has a NTC.

I don't recall Kari Lehtonen shutting out the Capitals in Game 7 of Round 2.

Yeah.

Pretty much, yeah. But keeping him instead of dealing him won the franchise their fifth Stanley Cup. Everybody, Fleury fans, non-Fleury fans, Pens fans, NHL fans from anywhere, would agree that without Fleury they do not win again.

So, in many ways this is like when the Pens traded for Bill Guerin, and they had to give up a better pick to the Islanders if they won the Cup.

You gladly give this up.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
But I thought reports of MAF's wife looking at schools/houses were false...

LOL

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

So in a span of a year, we go from a ton of hf posters thinking the pens are absolutely bent over the barrel screwed with NO other options than to buyout MAF to those same people having crow all over the face.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Only worth it for PIT.
There is no expansion benefit for Vegas, especially with his NTC.
I disagree. He's a quality goaltender and easily has more redeemable value if he plays decently. It's worth it for Vegas, even if the pick is not better than a 3rd.

That is an extremely selective memory you show there.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Sounds wierd but theres plenty of other great goalies GMGM could grab.

If I were him I'd take Bonino. Let the Pens deal with their own mess.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Are there 3 goalies that are better?

Do you really think part of his motivation is to stick it to anyone?

Why not wait and go after Bonino on July 1st?

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Will it be the 2017 1st or 2018 1st.

I thought it was going to be Matt Murray?

You'd take a UFA who can turn around and re-sign in Pittsburgh in a week if he wants to?

MAF getting done dirty by the Pens. It's a business, though.

They didn't trade him in February so he could finish out the year with the team and take another shot at the Cup. That's the opposite of doing him dirty.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I thought it was going to be Matt Murray?

You'd take a UFA who can turn around and re-sign in Pittsburgh in a week if he wants to?

They didn't trade him in February so he could finish out the year with the team and take another shot at the Cup. That's the opposite of doing him dirty.

Or they didn't trade him because there weren't many takers and they needed a reliable backup?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

How is he "getting done dirty" by the Pens? Fleury wants to be a starter, he lost his starting job here in Pittsburgh to Murray. GMJR tried to find a trade for him at the deadline, said he couldn't work out deal that made the team better than keeping him. Also said that he is glad he didn't because without Fleury holding down net while Murray was hurt we don't win the cup. With Murray back and winning a 2nd straight cup, Fluery still wants a starting goalie spot not a backup. So GMJR failing to move him prior, got Fluery to agree to waive his trade clause to go to Vegas and is sending a unknown pick(s) to make sure it happens. That's the definition of classy management.

You are ether uniformed or simply trolling.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Or they didn't trade him because there weren't many takers and they needed a reliable backup?

If there were takers now why wouldn't there have been takers then?

Fleury agreed to waive only for Vegas in exchange for staying for the rest of the season. That's been pretty widely reported and it worked out for both sides.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

Not long ago the obvious and smart decision was trying to force the Pens to buy him out. Now that that ship has long sailed since he voluntarily waived his clause for Vegas (essentially making the expansion draft a minor issue for the Pens), that is now defined as "dirty." I know a lot of people are hell-bent on making the Pens situation seem as difficult and harmful as possible, but it's just sadly not the case.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
How is he "getting done dirty" by the Pens? Fleury wants to be a starter, he lost his starting job here in Pittsburgh to Murray. GMJR tried to find a trade for him at the deadline, said he couldn't work out deal that made the team better than keeping him. Also said that he is glad he didn't because without Fleury holding down net while Murray was hurt we don't win the cup. With Murray back and winning a 2nd straight cup, Fluery still wants a starting goalie spot not a backup. So GMJR failing to move him prior, got Fluery to agree to waive his trade clause to go to Vegas and is sending a unknown pick(s) to make sure it happens. That's the definition of classy management.

You are ether uniformed or simply trolling.

If there were takers now why wouldn't there have been takers then?

Fleury agreed to waive only for Vegas in exchange for staying for the rest of the season. That's been pretty widely reported and it worked out for both sides.

Is it wrong for me to feel sad that the guy gave his whole career to the team and now is be festooned to an expansion team. I remember watching him through his whole career, he's a very lovable guy. Now we're seeing the business side of sports where they are going with the younger, better player. It just rubs me the wrong way, emotionally. I think that speaks to how awesome MAF is as a person.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Is it wrong for me to feel sad that the guy gave his whole career to the team and now is be festooned to an expansion team. I remember watching him through his whole career, he's a very lovable guy. Now we're seeing the business side of sports where they are going with the younger, better player. It just rubs me the wrong way, emotionally. I think that speaks to how awesome MAF is as a person.

Of course not. Nobody is sadder than Pens fans on the whole. This will probably be the second time in 30 years of watching hockey that I cry when a player is officially gone from the Pens. That doesn't mean the Pens did him dirty though. If there was animosity on either side this wouldn't be nearly as hard as it is.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
I dont think (hope) it's a first round pick. But this will work out well for The Pens in the end. They will only lose their backup goalie and gain that 5.75 mil in cap space going forward allowing them to make a couple of moves this offseason and sign their own RFAs. As long as this isnt a 1st rounder then this is a great deal for Pens. It's also good for LVK because MAF is still a very good goalie and a great guy who will be a great ambassador for the new franchise.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh

It is sad but Murray beat him out and he could stay but he would be a backup. I think if he gets the majority of the starts in Vegas the next two years then he will be happier than sitting on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad