Recalled/Assigned: Penguins Recall G Tristan Jarry

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Trying to think of it this way: We are playing two games in a week, three games in ten days. If Zatkoff has to go it's reasonable to think we could be down 2-1 in that time if no one's come back yet. I don't think that'd be a terrible scenario if someone was able to come back next Thursday, which seems like a lifetime away.

You hope that Murray either isn't hurt or just tweaked his neck and a week to week and a half is enough.

crossicepass

Sep 7, 2008
Zatkoff+Jarry is ECHL level of goaltending.

:( Mostly true.
Still can't believe HCMS started Murray.
You'll have Zatkoff v. Lundqvist and I don't care if the Pens have prime Lemeiux and Jagr, they're not winning **** with that match-up.
btw, Murray v. Lundqvist, IMO, isn't all that much better.
Really need a healthy Flower to be back and starting Game One.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Zatkoff has a career NHL sv% of .915 in 35 games. His sv% this season is .917. The NHL average sv%, compiled mostly from NHL starting goaltenders, is .915.

.915 = .915
.917 > .915

In other words:

Bmu30fHCUAAwEqp.jpg

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
Zatkoff has a career NHL sv% of .915 in 35 games. His sv% this season is .917. The NHL average sv%, compiled mostly from NHL starting goaltenders, is .915.

.915 = .915
.917 > .915

In other words:

Bmu30fHCUAAwEqp.jpg

Numbers can be deceiving. Zatkoff's play has ranged from good (even by NHL standards) to ECHL level. If we get bad Zatkoff, the team starts running around, pressing rather than playing within the system which has been the key to their recent success. You saw a little bit of that on Saturday and it could have gotten really ugly.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

.915 = .915
.917 > .915

He does not pass the eye test and gives you no confidence that he could get it done. He gives up almost three goals a game. Over half of his games were against teams not in the playoffs.

TB, STL, and the Devils lit him up for 4 goals, Boston lit him up for 6 goals.

There is a reason that he was demoted to the press box. The Pens obviously did not believe that he was getting it done, nor did they have any faith in him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

.915 = .915
.917 > .915

In other words:

Bmu30fHCUAAwEqp.jpg

The team seems to play differently in front of him. They were really back on their heels once he was put in in Philly. And the wingers started collapsing down low after that point shot went in and he was just kind of waving his arms around. It was deflected, twice, but he wasn't screened and in general I think he just doesn't instill confidence like Murray or Fleury do (though few do).

So it's not just a matter of having slightly weaker (but still average) goaltending with Zatkoff, it's also a question of what effect does starting our 3rd stringer have on the team in front of him?

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
that's gonna suck. all that excitement leading up to the playoffs... and it's injuries for us once again :cry:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Really wishing Sullivan had started Zatkoff in the Flyers game. Had nothing to play for and everything to lose with an injury.

Obviously couldn't predict an injury to Murray, but would have been prudent since he was arguably the most important guy on the active roster behind Crosby and Letang.

Let's hope for swift returns from Fleury and Murray.

Sullivan really ****ed up not starting Zatkoff yesterday. There was no reason to play Murray. He wasn't going to forget how to be a goalie not playing the last game.

And one could always make the argument that MM needed more games before the playoffs started with all of 12 under his belt.

It's very easy to criticize him at this point over it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
But Barclays or Madison Square Garden aren't open all week. Both are pretty packed for next week, the only options really are a Wednesday or Friday start unless they want either back to back games or like 4 days between games.

It's going to be a Wednesday or Thursday start. There's no way they wait until Friday.

A Wednesday start day would work, but I think that's the only day that works well outside of Friday. Tuesday or Thursday wouldn't work since Barclays is booked for Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. It's not wishful thinking to say that the series will start on Friday, I just think that's the 2nd most likely day after Wednesday.

Why are we talking about Barclays - we play the Rangers.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Step back from the cliff, guys. I abhor Zatkoff at this level, but I suspect he can get us through the first round against either New York team. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

He doesn't even need to get us through the first round - just the first two games. Game 3 is probably over a week away - given that MAF has been out for a while, one would hope that he would be back for game 3.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
I disagree with the all of the folks saying not to panic. This has all of the markings of a complete disaster. We were supposed to get an update on Murray today, instead we get Jarry called up and a lot of "we don't know yet" crap. My guess is that they want to sell as many tickets as possible before they reveal that Zatkoff is our starter. The time for panic is now, my friends!

TheFlightlessBird

May 29, 2009
I disagree with the all of the folks saying not to panic. This has all of the markings of a complete disaster. We were supposed to get an update on Murray today, instead we get Jarry called up and a lot of "we don't know yet" crap. My guess is that they want to sell as many tickets as possible before they reveal that Zatkoff is our starter. The time for panic is now, my friends!

Calm, cool, collected. Just how it should be handled.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

How many pairs of underwear do you go through a day? :laugh:

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
And one could always make the argument that MM needed more games before the playoffs started with all of 12 under his belt.

It's very easy to criticize him at this point over it.

And he was fresh, not like he needed a day off.

I understand hindsight, but I could easily see feeling he needed as much experience as possible.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Quoted for posterity. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad