Confirmed with Link: Penguins Agree To Terms With Matt Cullen (1 year | $800k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Because the younger player could be better by the end of the season than Cullen, or that NHL experience could set them up better for the next season. Not outperforming the vet in the preseason makes it a semi-block, it's what came to mind, rather than simply blocking the young player who looks better in the preseason. The semi-block at least isn't blatantly stupid and biased, even if it is potentially shortsighted.

I'm just not buying Oskar Sundqvist and Matt Cullen as the poster children for this line of thinking.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This only makes sense to me if Kunitz is being traded for a defenseman, or something of that nature.

Having good defensive forwards could also hide the Pens lack of experience on the back end.

They have had depth at defense and not be enough because of lack of scoring. Now they should be scoring from everywhere, but they'll let a few more slide in.

I think depth period at forward is a huge thing, and much, much harder to do seeing there are more forwards then defensmen.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
This is a great sign. This is a guy we normally target at deadlines and lose assets. Toronto does bargain signings every year and those players are covered at the deadline. Not saying we'll be trading him, but we won't be trading FOR him. (*cough* Winnik *cough*)

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
The forward depth on this team is ridiculous lol, start the damn season already, I can't wait any longer.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
We needed another forward. We weren't playing with 12 forwards. Not sure why people don't get it.

Good for timely face off wins as well.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
I tried to keep it broader than just them.

I get the broader concept, but we're in a Matt Cullen signing thread talking about the implications re: Sundqvist so I don't understand the application of it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Cullen is a solid player, and good at faceoffs. Don't mind this.

It wouldn't hurt for Sundqvist to start in the AHL if it comes to that. I'm as high on him as anyone here but the guy hasn't even played in the AHL yet let alone the NHL. No need to rush him.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
I like it Cullen adds that veteran presence like we felt with Roberts and Billy G. Plus he can help us win key face offs as a 4th liner in playoffs. Best forward depth we've had in years:)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Lost track of him when he left Minnesota. I don't know if he's got anything left or not.

What I do know is that we've got too many guys at the moment for the number of chairs we got.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Times are changin, son!

Jk, idk. We'll see. Doesn't seem like there's much room for either player now.

Like I mentioned before, they may choose to move on from Perron before they think of moving on from Kunitz or Scuderi.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
This is a good signing. Cullen will be a great fourth liner...good on faceoffs...can play wing as well.

Sucks for Sundqvist, but experience in the AHL won't hurt him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I get the broader concept, but we're in a Matt Cullen signing thread talking about the implications re: Sundqvist so I don't understand the application of it.

Because it could apply. Cullen will be 39 this season, him becoming awful and the Pens regretting Sundqvist not getting NHL playing time is possible early in the season is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad