Confirmed with Link: Penguins Agree To Terms With Matt Cullen (1 year | $800k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I'd like to see Cullen - Sundqvist - Dupuis as the 4th line and have Cullen take all of the faceoffs and then switch to LW.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Cap Space, he's our 5th Center when Fehr is healthy etc.

His pay is pretty much what you want in a 5th center.

I don't get the Sundqvist concern angle really either, it's his first season in NA. How is time in the AHL so bad if he doesn't outperform a 38 year old?

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
seems like decent insurance. sundqvist playing in the ahl and proving it in north america isnt the worst thing in the world as long as the team promotes him if he holds up his end.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fehr out to start the year. Roll with this for now, then if we somehow manage to be healthy when Fehr is ready to play, trade someone then to a team who has an injured forward.

That's the best I can make of this.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
OK, so maybe they don't feel comfortable that Fehr will be able to start the season and want Cullen in the lineup for the first two months or so.

But then what do you do with Cullen after Fehr is healthy?
Or put it another way, assume everybody stays healthy.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
First month:

PCH
Plots-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz-Bonino-Bennett
Duper-Cullen-Sundqvist?
Wilson, Farnham as call ups for the inevitable injury? Then Fehr slots in to Cullen's spot?

EDIT: I kind of wanted to see how Sundqvist would do as center in isolated minutes, can Cullen play wing? I guess hes good at faceoffs if Sundqvist isn't ready right away.

It could be that way.

Perron, Crosby, Hornqvist
Plotnikov, Malkin, Kessel
Kunitz, Bonino, Dupuis
Cullen, Sundqvist, Bennett
Fehr/Wilson/Rust/Farnboy/Zlobin/Sheary

Forwards are stacked.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I don't get the Sundqvist concern angle really either, it's his first season in NA. How is time in the AHL so bad if he doesn't outperform a 38 year old?

The concern here is that he may be in the AHL even when he does outperform a 38 year old. I think a lot of us are just scared of vets in that sense.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

If Sundqvist doesn't outperform anyone then whatever, it's a semi-block but not horribly brutal. If Sundqvist outperforms someone and doesn't get a spot then there's a serious problem. The worry with the Pens is always that loyalty to the vets that hurts the young players.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wasn't expecting this. Rather have him then Adams. For that price and one year he's fine for a depth guy.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
If they want a 4th line that plays limited minutes and can still score, then he's the guy that'll center it -- he'll also be able to jump in on the 2nd PP unit from time to time and help out. Tough to complain at the term and cap hit. I'd still think that one of Kunitz and Scuderi will be moved (if possible) purely for cap reasons. We're up against it atm.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
With Fehr starting the year out, there is a legitimate chance that we never actually have a fully healthy group of forwards. In that case, depth isn't really a bad thing, so long as we are willing to sit/trade a vet if we do get healthy.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
One thing JR said this summer, if someone can find the quote awesome, that he wanted there to be a couple of spots up for grabs in training camp for young guys to make the team this year. Let's say Fehr comes back in Dec.

Perron Sid Horny

Plot/Kuni/Bonino Geno Kessel

Plot Kuni/Bonino Fehr Dupuis

Plot/Kuni/Bonino Cullen Bennett

There's no spots open by Nov/December

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i suppose it's not so bad if you assume there will always be 1 guy out. still gonna be restricting nhl time for the younger guys

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
OK, so maybe they don't feel comfortable that Fehr will be able to start the season and want Cullen in the lineup for the first two months or so.

But then what do you do with Cullen after Fehr is healthy?
Or put it another way, assume everybody stays healthy.

Twilight can be buried. Assuming they're all healthy and no one is traded, or he gets claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad