Confirmed with Link: Penguins Agree To Terms With Matt Cullen (1 year | $800k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
I honestly could see him there to help Sundqvist learn how to do faceoffs and mentor him, worst case he's insurance if Sundqvist isn't ready. We always have 1, probably more forwards injured. Depth isnt the worst thing to have. Hopefully we offload Scuderi and get a little cap relief. Can't really complain

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Hopefully this means at least one of Kunitz or Dupuis is moving, otherwise the Pens "commitment to youth" looks farcical. Also so much for speed.

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
It's really not a problem.

If Cullen sucks and Sundqvist lights up the AHL you switch them. Someone claims Cullen? It's OK, he sucks.

Cullen is awesome and Sundqvist lights up the AHL? The roster is ****ing deep as ****. "Worst case" you have a nice trade chip in january.

Sundqvist needs time to adapt? Good, we have a good player in his place.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
How I think the lines will play out

Kunitz - Crosby - Kessel
Perron - Malkin - Hornqvist
Bonino - Fehr - Bennett
Dupuis - Cullen - Plotnikov

------------
Wilson , Sundqvist , Farnham AHL call ups

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
Really confused, what does this mean? Is fehr gonna play wing now? i thought we brought him in to play center??

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Another fear I have is that the Penguins will trade Perron instead of Kunitz to make the cap work when Fehr is healthy.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully this means at least one of Kunitz or Dupuis is moving, otherwise the Pens "commitment to youth" looks farcical. Also so much for speed.

This is my line of thinking. JR said himself he wants a spot or 2 open at camp for young guys to earn there chance because last few years there haven't been any. I think even Bryan Rust said something to this affect (that having spots open would galvanize the young guys knowing there is a legit chance)

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
The concern here is that he may be in the AHL even when he does outperform a 38 year old. I think a lot of us are just scared of vets in that sense.
...If Sundqvist outperforms someone and doesn't get a spot then there's a serious problem. The worry with the Pens is always that loyalty to the vets that hurts the young players.

I get that, but at a certain point you jump the shark with it.

If our coach's so misguided that he plays Cullen over Sundqvist when the latter is clearly playing better...then signing Cullen isn't the thing to be concerned with (particularly when it is in advance and none of these things have actually happened).

If Sundqvist doesn't outperform anyone then whatever, it's a semi-block but not horribly brutal...
If he can't outperform anyone how is there a "semi-block" or something say marginally brutal? It would mean he needs time like almost every player who turns (North American) pro which isn't a negative for me.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If Fehr can switch to center at 28 I think Bonino can switch to wing at 27.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If he can't outperform anyone how is there a "semi-block" or something say marginally brutal? It would mean he needs time like almost every player who turns (North American) pro which isn't a negative for me.

Because the younger player could be better by the end of the season than Cullen, or that NHL experience could set them up better for the next season. Not outperforming the vet in the preseason makes it a semi-block, it's what came to mind, rather than simply blocking the young player who looks better in the preseason. The semi-block at least isn't blatantly stupid and biased, even if it is potentially shortsighted.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Right and I'm not trying to have another 5 D after the deadline thing. It just seems risky unless they have a deal lined up to move Kunitz out prior to training camp.

I agree. Or Scuderi. We'll see how it works out.

Yes he will. I am willing to bet anyone here Fehr plays less than 41 games this season.

So we should put ourselves in a difficult cap situation because you don't trust Fehr's ability to stay healthy?

If Fehr can switch to center at 28 I think Bonino can switch to wing at 27.

Bonino can play wing, he's just not as comfortable.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
OK, so maybe they don't feel comfortable that Fehr will be able to start the season and want Cullen in the lineup for the first two months or so.

But then what do you do with Cullen after Fehr is healthy?
Or put it another way, assume everybody stays healthy.

Why do we have to "do" something with him? It's called depth. We'll have other injuries by the time Fehr is healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00