Confirmed with Link: Penguins Agree To Terms With Matt Cullen (1 year | $800k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
LOL! How anyone can have a problem with the signing is a mystery to me. It's a 4th line center who can contribute good, has decent wheels, really good on faceoffs. The more good faceoff men we got, the less Crosby has to do.

Because he's old? That's about it.

This ain't Craig Adams we're talking about here.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm fine with this signing. Preferred Cullen over Santorelli or Roy. Especially at the cap-hit. Would have been fine with waiting to September to target potential waiver claims as well.

As one if JR's biggest critics; I'll give him credit. Got an elite winger in Kessel. Signed Fehr who I really wanted, at a very reasonable cost. Got rid of Sutter; acquired a player Bonino with a lower cap-hit and potential bigger upside. Have no complaints.

Still, I am in agreement with Terrapin that having a legitimate heavyweight presence in the line-up should be the team's biggest interest right now. Whether it happens via waivers, trade, or a signing. At least have someone for WBS. It can be **** show down there.

Want Sid, Geno, Phil, and Kris to feel that they have someone to handle the dirty business if need be. Balance on the roster is important. Even if this player is a thirteenth forward; It would be welcomed.

Having a heavyweight does nothing to protect players. Look at the 2010 roster. Then look at the injuries we suffered

People are going to take runs at our best players, regardless of roster makeup. Better to have a team that can both make them pay on resulting PPs and survive a few injuries.

This lineup is not soft. It's time to move past this archaic thinking. It's 2015

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Yeah I don't see how better forward depth being better is debatable at all.

FY16 v FY15
Kessel > Comeau
Perron > Downie
Bonino > Sutter
Fehr > Spaling
Cullen > Goc
Plotnikov (even if he flops) > Adams
Sundqvist (even if he flops)> Sill

With Sid, Geno, Hornqvist, Bennett, Kunitz, Dupuis being the same, but the latter 3 presumably healthier to start the season, barring anything unforeseen in training camp/offseason.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Having a heavyweight does nothing to protect players. Look at the 2010 roster. Then look at the injuries we suffered

People are going to take runs at our best players, regardless of roster makeup. Better to have a team that can both make them pay on resulting PPs and survive a few injuries.

This lineup is not soft. It's time to move past this archaic thinking. It's 2015

Whether or not enforcers actually deter cheapshots, a large amount of players believe so. That and they like having their presence on the line-up. I'll take the players' word over those who state otherwise.

Not only that, but many players with that role do a lot in the community/dressing room. I don't really see a problem employing an enforcer at the league minimum while being the thirteenth/fourteenth forward. Especially when you have enforcers today that can play a regular shift.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Whether or not enforcers actually deter cheapshots, a large amount of players believe so. That and they like having their presence on the line-up. I'll take the players' word over those who state otherwise.

Not only that, but many players with that role do a lot in the community/dressing room. I don't really see a problem employing an enforcer at the league minimum while being the thirteenth/fourteenth forward. Especially when you have enforcers today that can play a regular shift.

Is PL3 still under contract?

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Yeah I don't see how better forward depth being better is debatable at all.

FY16 v FY15
Kessel > Comeau
Perron > Downie
Bonino > Sutter
Fehr > Spaling
Cullen > Goc
Plotnikov (even if he flops) > Adams
Sundqvist (even if he flops)> Sill

With Sid, Geno, Hornqvist, Bennett, Kunitz, Dupuis being the same, but the latter 3 presumably healthier to start the season, barring anything unforeseen in training camp/offseason.

I actually felt a tiny bit sick (****ing cheap beer) when i looked at F15 compared to F16, that's a helluva contrast for the better!

Way more depth, hands down for sure. You'd have to be a clueless moron or a poor man's troll not to see that.

"Obviously" - Mario Lemieux

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Yeah this is ridiculous. I see nothin beneficial of continuing to speak to anyone who thinks the nhl team needs an enforcer or tough guy. It's pointless and beneath anything I care about.

Good luck in the future endeavours to anyone with his thought process.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Still, I am in agreement with Terrapin that having a legitimate heavyweight presence in the line-up should be the team's biggest interest right now. Whether it happens via waivers, trade, or a signing. At least have someone for WBS. It can be **** show down there.

Want Sid, Geno, Phil, and Kris to feel that they have someone to handle the dirty business if need be. Balance on the roster is important. Even if this player is a thirteenth forward; It would be welcomed.

This is my main agreement with Terrapin as well, and it doesn't even have to be "heavyweight". What about a Lucic, Gallagher or a Shaw type? I sort of think Hornqvist could be that guy buy I have never seen a guy skate away faster during the after the whistle scrums then him. He stirs the pot a little in front and then bolts before he can draw the penalty or really piss off the opposition. Not a knock I love PH, and who likes to get hit in the face to draw a penalty? I just wish the Pens has a legit pest type guy, I thought Downie would be that guy last season. :(

And the above doesn't even address the fact that the defense is butter soft as well, and that once again it looks like no kids will get a shot to prove their worth (at least until injuries occur).

The Pens are absolutely a better team today than they were to end last season, but I think it is ok for some of us to question what type of team this years Pens will be.

I bet he prefers Adams.

I bet he prefers a kid gets a chance.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is my main agreement with Terrapin as well, and it doesn't even have to be "heavyweight". What about a Lucic, Gallagher or a Shaw type? I sort of think Hornqvist could be that guy buy I have never seen a guy skate away faster during the after the whistle scrums then him. He stirs the pot a little in front and then bolts before he can draw the penalty or really piss off the opposition. Not a knock I love PH, and who likes to get hit in the face to draw a penalty? I just wish the Pens has a legit pest type guy, I thought Downie would be that guy and last season. :(

And the above doesn't even address the fact that the defense is butter soft as well, and that once again it looks like no kids will get a shot to prove their worth (at least until injuries occur).

The Pens are absolutely a better team today than they were to end last season, but I think it is ok for some of us to question what type of team this years Pens will be.

I bet he prefers a kid gets a chance.

You know Shaw weighs 180 lbs right? He's really good, but we can match that kind of toughness.

And there really aren't players like Lucic other than Lucic.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Yeah this is ridiculous. I see nothin beneficial of continuing to speak to anyone who thinks the nhl team needs an enforcer or tough guy. It's pointless and beneath anything I care about.

Good luck in the future endeavours to anyone with his thought process.

I"m glad you enjoyed the Philly game last year when Scuderi got jumped, Rinaldo threw an elbow at Letangs head, then called on and laughed at the entire Pens bench. That was good times. At least Downie stepped up and got his ass kicked. This year it'll be Sid or Geno forced to handle that stuff. The Pens already tried being the moral authority of the league, and it didn't work out too well. But hey, maybe this time teams will play nice.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
You know Shaw weighs 180 lbs right? He's really good, but we can match that kind of toughness.

And there really aren't players like Lucic other than Lucic.[/QUOTE]

I never once called for a goon. But Chris Stewart would look a whole lot better on this team than Kunitz, Bennett, Dupuis, Cullen, etc.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
With who?

Ok then the Pens need to find a similar player and develop him.

Its not like our team is actually soft. Just about everyone we have will go to the corners, take hits to make plays, will crash the net, etc. Do we go out of our way to make hits as much as Shaw? No. But who on our team is going to shy away from a play because 180 lb Andrew Shaw might hit them? Bonino? Kessel? That's about it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I never once called for a goon. But Chris Stewart would look a whole lot better on this team than Kunitz, Bennett, Dupuis, Cullen, etc.

Eh. Over Kunitz or Dupuis? Maybe, just because they are old. Both were much much better than Stewart 2 years ago, but at this point maybe. Cullen is a center who can win faceoffs, so I don't know why you even included him. And Bennett really isn't comparable. He's about 100X more talented than Stewart, so its a matter of him staying healthy and putting it together. Chris Stewart isn't very good though.

And I brought up Lucic because the guy I quoted directly brought up Lucic.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

And there really aren't players like Lucic other than Lucic.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree but Stewart is pretty suspect defensively and has effort issues. If he isn't playing like a top 6 forward, he isn't of much value. Plus, he costs too much unless you can swap out Kunitz which the Pens have had trouble doing.

Nobody is trading for Dupuis and the other guys are too cheap to swap out.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Its not like our team is actually soft. Just about everyone we have will go to the corners, take hits to make plays, will crash the net, etc. Do we go out of our way to make hits as much as Shaw? No. But who on our team is going to shy away from a play because 180 lb Andrew Shaw might hit them? Bonino? That's about it.

Who steps up when things get a little nasty? And as much as people may wish otherwise, games do get nasty.

Also, who takes care of business in the other end? Who on D is gonna hold up going into corners, who's going to clear our net? Letang and Maata are our two best D. One has a hx of concussions, the other a hx of shoulder injuries. I don't want either one of them being overly physical.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Who steps up when things get a little nasty? And as much as people may wish otherwise, games do get nasty.

Also, who takes care of business in the other end? Who on D is gonna hold up going into corners, who's going to clear our net? Letang and Maata are our two best D. One has a hx of concussions, the other a hx of shoulder injuries. I don't want either one of them being overly physical.

Farnham will be there to get his ass kicked every time we play Philly or Boston. He is your Downie replacement. He's obviously not an ideal tough guy but he will go through walls for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad