Confirmed with Link: Penguins Agree To Terms With Matt Cullen (1 year | $800k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
There's rumors from Russia that one of Russia's best defensemen, Ilya Nikulin, is set on moving to North America. He's quality, and very experienced, but question marks over how he's going to adapt to North America and how much he would demand. Worth a shot?

Ilya Nikulin

Russian article

Apparently he'd be a UFA as opposed to Plotnikov so i'd offer him 2y 4-5m total or 3y 6-7m. Jacob prefers an incentives ladden 1y deal but that would probably end up being more expensive & we're somewhat cap ****ed thanks to Shero...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It wouldn't be a guarantee, but it would be a better situation than what we have now. We all know injuries are going to hit, they do every year, going into the season with Cole as a 3/4 is a little unnerving.

I'd rather Cole as a 3/4 with Dumoulin on the 3rd pairing than Cole as a 4/5 and Dumoulin in the press box. So I guess it depends who would be sat. If we're replacing Lovejoy with the new guy, then by all means add somebody.

Last edited:

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
There's rumors from Russia that one of Russia's best defensemen, Ilya Nikulin, is set on moving to North America. He's quality, and very experienced, but question marks over how he's going to adapt to North America and how much he would demand. Worth a shot?

Ilya Nikulin

Russian article

Someone within the organization would have to be pretty familiar with his game to take a chance on him. Not the worst idea I have ever heard, I think we could do better though.

Badman

Jul 10, 2004
Stavanger, Norway
Apparently he'd be a UFA as opposed to Plotnikov so i'd offer him 2y 4-5m total or 3y 6-7m. Jacob prefers an incentives ladden 1y deal but that would probably end up being more expensive & we're somewhat cap ****ed thanks to Shero...

It would probably necessitate some salary shedding (Scuderi/Kunitz?), but there is a potential world class defensman up for grabs, albeit with some question marks.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
I'd rather Cole as a 3/4 with Dumoulin on the 3rd pairing than Cole as a 4/5 and Dumoulin in the press box. So I guess it depends who would be sat. If we're replacing Lovejoy with the new guy, then by all means add somebody.

That is basically my line of thinking as well, in no way do I want Dumo in the press box, I don't think management does either. Lovejoy and Scuderi need to be off this team, or in the very least:

Maatta-Letang
(Vet)-Cole
Dumo-Pouliot
Lovejoy

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It would probably necessitate some salary shedding (Scuderi/Kunitz?), but there is a potential world class defensman up for grabs, albeit with some question marks.

this is definitely the first I've heard someone call him potentially world class.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kunitz for Hamhuis:sarcasm:

I mean, weirder things have happened. Kunitz starts the year looking like he did 2 years ago, Vancouver quickly heads for the basement of the West and gets desperate.

Kunitz for Hamhuis with Lovejoy in the pressbox would be lovely. Or how about Kunitz and Lovejoy for Hamhuis :nod: I mean, it brings in a wing Sutter has some familiarity with. You always want to set your foundation players up for success, right? :laugh:

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
Kunitz for Hamhuis with Lovejoy in the pressbox would be lovely. Or how about Kunitz and Lovejoy for Hamhuis :nod: I mean, it brings in a wing Sutter has some familiarity with. You always want to set your foundation players up for success, right? :laugh:

With Benning running the ship, the possibilities are endless. He would probably throw us a pick as well.:laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I've seen a lot of solid vets who had been on the team all year (or longer) fail to help us in the playoffs.

They've had way bigger issues, though. Solid vets on the roster wouldn't help the laughable top 6 winger situation or Bylsma Bylsmaing or the garbage vets with guaranteed spots or the ongoing injury curse. The point is that adding someone after the team has been together for most of the season and expecting everything to be up to playoff speed isn't necessarily the best idea. Sometimes it works.

Having another top 4 defenseman would be great for their depth and probably best for the youth. Providing that Scuderi ****s off and Lovejoy is below them on the depth chart. I think the balance between youth and experience is key and the Pens have generally sucked at finding said balance for awhile now.

Badman

Jul 10, 2004
Stavanger, Norway
this is definitely the first I've heard someone call him potentially world class.

He's been a regular for Russia for a decade, sometimes as captain, and regularly one of the KHL's best defensmen. I think he's stayed in Russia so long by choice, not because there wasn't interest from North America. Although (potential) world class might be a stretch, I would be very surprised if he's not a solid top 4 guy for most any team in the NHL.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They've had way bigger issues, though. Solid vets on the roster wouldn't help the laughable top 6 winger situation or Bylsma Bylsmaing or the garbage vets with guaranteed spots or the ongoing injury curse. The point is that adding someone after the team has been together for most of the season and expecting everything to be up to playoff speed isn't necessarily the best idea. Sometimes it works.

Having another top 4 defenseman would be great for their depth and probably best for the youth. Providing that Scuderi ****s off and Lovejoy is below them on the depth chart. I think the balance between youth and experience is key and the Pens have generally sucked at finding said balance for awhile now.

The bold is my issue. But yeah, if its knocking Scuds and Lovejoy out of the line-up and not Dumoulin, Cole, or Pouliot, then by all means add another D.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
With Benning running the ship, the possibilities are endless. He would probably throw us a pick as well.:laugh:

Aww, poor Benning gets no respect. You know who would be a great character guy who could literally be used as foundation? Scuderi. So, this characterless Virtanen guy needs to go, right? Throw in Clendening.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
i agree that Polak's best comparable is Murray, but I totally disagree that he's better than Murray was 3 or 4 years ago. Poor man's crankshaft, if anything.

I think the Murray concerns (in regards to his comparison to Polak) are based on the Murray we saw in Pittsburgh, not the one that was a beast for San Jose during his prime. In that context (ie. the Pittsburgh version of Murray), Polak (currently) is a better player.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Yeah, so pretty much exactly what I said:

We could use more physical play, as I've mentioned myself, but you're acting as though that's the only issue that mattered, which is beyond myopic.

We needed another high-end winger.
Definite mission accomplished
We needed better scoring depth.
debatable. Last year:
Sutter 33pts
Downie 28pts
Comeau 31pts
Spaling 27pts

Bonino 39pts
Fehr 33pts
Bennett 12pts
Plots 0pts
Sundqvist 0pts

We needed to start looking to Euro leagues for cheap options.
May work out, may not.
We needed to improve on faceoffs.
I agree
We needed more size.
Don't see how this was improved, especially when you consider Borts and Despres.
We needed to move Sutter.
Total agreement here. I hated him.

And we got them. But your narrow focus just has this flashing 24/7 in your mind's eye:

NO BRUISERS
OFF-SEASON FAIL

Fail? No. The greatest offseason in history as some people think? Also no.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I love how that Caps fan projects The Plotnikov Beast & The Sundqvist Sunshine at 0 pts in his putrid equation while managing to 'ommit' Cullen. Awesome...

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I love how that Caps fan projects The Plotnikov Beast & The Sundqvist Sunshine at 0 pts in his putrid equation while managing to 'ommit' Cullen. Awesome...

Yeah I forgot him. ok include him and add up the points. LMK what you come up with.

Yeah I have 4600 posts on here cause I'm a Caps fan. lol

Quatro Quatro

May 29, 2014

I don't think better depth is debatable at all. You mentioned Comeau but he was a top six guy last year. Kessel replaces his spot in the top six. That's a huge difference. And what was the fourth line to start last year? Sill-Adams-Ebbett? Now it's going to be something like Plotnikov-Cullen-Bennett. Also a huge difference.

Yeah they didn't get tougher. But did they need to? In my opinion, no. They needed to establish some sort of identity instead of trying to go for multiple things at once. And they absolutely accomplished that.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I would take Douglas Murray if we don't have to trade two David Sprongs for him (I now refer to a mid-second round pick as a Sprong).

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I'm fine with this signing. Preferred Cullen over Santorelli or Roy. Especially at the cap-hit. Would have been fine with waiting to September to target potential waiver claims as well.

As one if JR's biggest critics; I'll give him credit. Got an elite winger in Kessel. Signed Fehr who I really wanted, at a very reasonable cost. Got rid of Sutter; acquired a player Bonino with a lower cap-hit and potential bigger upside. Have no complaints.

Still, I am in agreement with Terrapin that having a legitimate heavyweight presence in the line-up should be the team's biggest interest right now. Whether it happens via waivers, trade, or a signing. At least have someone for WBS. It can be **** show down there.

Want Sid, Geno, Phil, and Kris to feel that they have someone to handle the dirty business if need be. Balance on the roster is important. Even if this player is a thirteenth forward; It would be welcomed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Nobody's said or implied that. You're arguing against a stance nobody has taken.

As others have pointed out, Kessel pushes everyone down a spot contributing to depth (it's not a move to be looked at separately from depth), you missed Cullen, and projected nothing from two promising young players in Sundqvist and Plotnikov.

No **** Plotnikov may not work out. There are no guarantees for anybody coming over. The point is that we're finally exploring that resource for potential cheap, quality depth. I'll take that over a pool of "known quantity" bargain NHL retreads any day.

Bortuzzo and Despres were a size/snarl loss. They were also dealt last season and had no bearing on our playoffs. We're talking about improvements made over the summer.

The bottom line is that you're criticizing without offering any better alternatives, hiding under the rationale that you're not a GM. I'm not a GM either. But I still offer alternative ideas if I go out of my way to criticize.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad