Peak/Prime Lemieux vs. Gretzky - Adjusted

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
Gretzky would be the best player still but wouldnt be a top scorer.The game has changed and the gretzky skillset wouldnt make him a scorer of 41+ goal on his best year.
Ok, so you are saying a 21 year old Gretzky would score 50 goals less if playing today? If that is true, then Mike Bossy would only score 10 goals today….

Morgoth Bauglir

Master Of The Fates Of Arda
Aug 31, 2012
Angband via Utumno
Here's a few examples of how it happened back then:
Edmonton 13 Vancouver 0 (Edmonton gets its only PP at 9:33 of the 1st, Vancouver gets all the rest (6) of the PPs)
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19850138

Edmonton 12 Chicago 9 (the Oilers' only PP cames at 16:53 of the 1st while leading 4-0)
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19850291

Edmonton 12 Detroit 3 (Edmonton gets 2 PP; 9:39 of the 1st with the game tied, 6:34 of the 3rd)
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19850724

Given the disparity here (and on the season) it makes me wonder if the league was targeting the Oilers for some reason.

Capitaine Subban*

Ok, so you are saying a 21 year old Gretzky would score 50 goals less if playing today? If that is true, then Mike Bossy would only score 10 goals today….

Mike has different skillset, and is more dependable of his center but would be a sniper still.Likely be 35-50 goalscorer for 7-8 year straight if playing with a center like Nicklas Backstrom.

To me, the adjustment greztky allegedly took by becoming more a passer by 1991 season,he would have no choice to took it to dominate
the league as a point getter.

And again, i still think a prime Gretzky would get like 40g 100a on his best kinda balanced year. I think his speed, deking ability, wrister, slapper, size, strenght werent enough to overcame the new nhl defence, size, goalies ...

Btw im sorry for my bad english, im trying :)

Copmuter*

One Gretzky stat (among many) that always turns my head is that, in 1984-85, he scored 73 goals -- and only 8 on the power-play. I mean, how is that even possible...?

In '82, he scored 74 at ES or shorthanded. (68 at ES, which is the all-time record)
In '84, he scored 67 at ES or shorthanded.
In '85, he scored 65 at ES or shorthanded.

How many of those were scored 4 on 4?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
And again, i still think a prime Gretzky would get like 40g 100a on his best kinda balanced year. I think his speed, deking ability, wrister, slapper, size, strenght werent enough to overcame the new nhl defence, size, goalies ...

... quite alright, your doing very well..... well enough to be perfectly understood. ;)

And as such, Im afraid I disagree with you. A talent like Gretzky, he would have found a way, upped his game. No, not into the stratospheres of the high-scoring 80's era, but certainly he would I think be scoring more than 50, 60 goals at peak.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Mike has different skillset, and is more dependable of his center but would be a sniper still.Likely be 35-50 goalscorer for 7-8 year straight if playing with a center like Nicklas Backstrom.

To me, the adjustment greztky allegedly took by becoming more a passer by 1991 season,he would have no choice to took it to dominate
the league as a point getter.

I can understand why you might think that, but by 91 Gretzky was already a 12 year vet. How many people are still elite goal scorers 12 years into their careers? Including his year in the WHA, it was his 13th year of pro hockey. As I mentioned earlier, Gretzky has more 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+, 80+ goal seasons ever, not to mention the only 90+ goal season. He's tied with Bossy at 50+, but if it weren't for an injury he was on pace to beat Bossy there as well. Gretzky has some of the greatest longevity as an elite goal scorer of all time. No one has more 40+ goal seasons than him.

The reason it looks like he had trouble adjusting was because of the back injury that nearly ended his career combined with the fact that he was getting old and had played a lot of hockey by then. But honestly - look at SV% and goals/game scored averages from 91-94. They're a little lower than the late 80's, but not by much. There were no significant improvements in goaltending really around 91 or 92 that would account for Gretzky's sudden drop in goal scoring ability. It had nothing to do with changes in the league - Gretzky suffered a major injury that nearly ended his career. And he was getting old.

Again, no one is saying he'd still get 92 goals in today's game. But to think that he'd somehow experience a 60% drop from his best seasons when league scoring rates have only dropped by half that would require something really specific to only Gretzky. Considering he holds every major goal scoring record there is, I think it isn't unreasonable to think he'd be capable of winning at least 1 Richard.

Capitaine Subban*

I can understand why you might think that, but by 91 Gretzky was already a 12 year vet. How many people are still elite goal scorers 12 years into their careers? Including his year in the WHA, it was his 13th year of pro hockey. As I mentioned earlier, Gretzky has more 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+, 80+ goal seasons ever, not to mention the only 90+ goal season. He's tied with Bossy at 50+, but if it weren't for an injury he was on pace to beat Bossy there as well. Gretzky has some of the greatest longevity as an elite goal scorer of all time. No one has more 40+ goal seasons than him.

The reason it looks like he had trouble adjusting was because of the back injury that nearly ended his career combined with the fact that he was getting old and had played a lot of hockey by then. But honestly - look at SV% and goals/game scored averages from 91-94. They're a little lower than the late 80's, but not by much. There were no significant improvements in goaltending really around 91 or 92 that would account for Gretzky's sudden drop in goal scoring ability. It had nothing to do with changes in the league - Gretzky suffered a major injury that nearly ended his career. And he was getting old.

Again, no one is saying he'd still get 92 goals in today's game. But to think that he'd somehow experience a 60% drop from his best seasons when league scoring rates have only dropped by half that would require something really specific to only Gretzky. Considering he holds every major goal scoring record there is, I think it isn't unreasonable to think he'd be capable of winning at least 1 Richard.

Nice post, i totally get what u r saying. I cant find the average time on ice in the early 80s but I remember top forward used to play every night 25 min with alot of pp sometime 28 min. (on nhl.com the 97-98 season Adam Oates averaged 24 min a game and grandpa gretzky 21min, last year crosby averaged 21min the most for the centers), Im pretty sure young Wayne was playing 24+ min a night (when he was owning my Habs i tought he was always on the ****ing ice :) )

My earlier argument was his skillset(speed,wrister,slapper,size...) against the new nhl reality (goalies, defence,size, speed ...) would oblige him to be more like an EPIC Joe thornton like player to succeed without getting hurt and to maximize productivity .Adding the fact that ALL nhl teams now pretty much roll with 4 lines he would have tougher time to get more chance to produce.

Im not stubborn and read carefully ur argument so I'll change my statement: Wayne would get around 50g 100a on his best goal scoring season but still wont get the Richard trophy because some scrub winger on his team would win it;).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
... quite alright, your doing very well..... well enough to be perfectly understood. ;)

And as such, Im afraid I disagree with you. A talent like Gretzky, he would have found a way, upped his game. No, not into the stratospheres of the high-scoring 80's era, but certainly he would I think be scoring more than 50, 60 goals at peak.

Re: the bolded, that's exactly how I see it.

I mentioned Crosby as an example earlier of someone who doesn't have a particularly overpowering shot and relies on "quantity of shots" rather than quality of shots who actually scored 51 goals and who paced for 64 goals. If Crosby, with a similarly underwhelming shot power, could score 50+, I just don't believe for a second that Gretzky, at his absolute peak, couldn't score 60+ at some point.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
I agree with your point in general, but a 92-goal season is not automatically better than an 85-goal season. It depends on the context. But even if Mario had the best goal-scoring season between the two of them, that would not be enough to put him ahead overall.

Mario was on pace to have a better scoring year than Wayne ever had in 92-93 and still ended with 69 goals in 60 games.
His 85 goal season was in 76 games played.

Copmuter*

Re: the bolded, that's exactly how I see it.

I mentioned Crosby as an example earlier of someone who doesn't have a particularly overpowering shot and relies on "quantity of shots" rather than quality of shots who actually scored 51 goals and who paced for 64 goals. If Crosby, with a similarly underwhelming shot power, could score 50+, I just don't believe for a second that Gretzky, at his absolute peak, couldn't score 60+ at some point.

I'll say it again...

Crosby was stronger before he entered the league than Gretzky ever was during his career

Crosby at 18...

pic03.jpg

And Gretzky (age unknown)...

normal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Game 7, series on the line, prime vs prime... I'm taking Lemieux

Lemieux's playoff records...

Goals in a single period (4, shares record)
Goals in a single game (5, shares record)
Points in a single period (4, shares record)
Points in a single game (8, shares record)
Best goals per game in the playoffs at .710 (Bossy is second with .659)

Gretzky and Lemieux each played 6 game 7's. Gretzky had 12 points and Lemieux had 6 points.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I'll say it again...

Crosby was stronger before he entered the league than Gretzky ever was during his career

Crosby at 18...

And Gretzky (age unknown)...

A very good demonstration of how little strength determines effectiveness as a hockey player.

Malkin is a beanpole too. Apparently he is pretty good though?

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
True, I'm just wondering if they'd have been so brazen as to use the officials to tilt the playing field against them as opposed to changing the rules to their disadvantage.

I don't have any stats to back it up, but it always seems that the team with the lead gets the shaft on penalty calls. 80s Oilers had a lot of leads, and big ones too. Why give the Oilers a PP when they already have a 3 or 4 goal lead? The bigger the blowout, the greater chance of fisticuffs or a brawl. Refs don't want to deal with that, they want the lopsided game to end so they can have pizza and beer. :)

Morgoth Bauglir

Master Of The Fates Of Arda
Aug 31, 2012
Angband via Utumno
I don't have any stats to back it up, but it always seems that the team with the lead gets the shaft on penalty calls. 80s Oilers had a lot of leads, and big ones too. Why give the Oilers a PP when they already have a 3 or 4 goal lead? The bigger the blowout, the greater chance of fisticuffs or a brawl. Refs don't want to deal with that, they want the lopsided game to end so they can have pizza and beer. :)

Good point :)

Although, I'm wondering if that's a phenomenon that started in the '80s. I just checked the '76-'77 Canadiens and their PPOs where pretty even.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Why give the Oilers a PP when they already have a 3 or 4 goal lead? The bigger the blowout, the greater chance of fisticuffs or a brawl. Refs don't want to deal with that, they want the lopsided game to end so they can have pizza and beer. :)
Or it could just be a score effect. Teams with the lead are more likely to play defensively, which means the opponents will have the puck more often, which means the team in the lead will take more penalties. Most penalties come when your team does not have possession of the puck.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Or it could just be a score effect. Teams with the lead are more likely to play defensively, which means the opponents will have the puck more often, which means the team in the lead will take more penalties. Most penalties come when your team does not have possession of the puck.

That makes sense in theory, but I do not believe it accurately describes what happened with the Oilers, as seen in any of the boxscores posted by Uncle Rotter.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

The Oilers? In the regular season.. Defensively?

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Mario was on pace to have a better scoring year than Wayne ever had in 92-93 and still ended with 69 goals in 60 games.
His 85 goal season was in 76 games played.
And? Once again, my point is that raw numbers do not determine "better" because they ignore context. 1992/93 had a context of an unusually high number of players scoring very high numbers of goals.

That makes sense in theory, but I do not believe it accurately describes what happened with the Oilers, as seen in any of the boxscores posted by Uncle Rotter.
True, it may not apply to the Oilers specifically. However, the Oilers did tend to give up shots than they took.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If we were to run a scientific experient. Complete with Time machines, genetic cloning and NHL dictatorship and all that fun stuff. Said expirement would have:

Gretzky and Lemieux at their absolute peak (pick whatever age that is for either).
0 injuries sustained - they play full season at full health
SAME TEAM - SAME Linemate, same opposition, etc
SAME year (so, run the expriement with Gretzky, use time machine and swap him for Lemieux and redo)

With everything else constant. I would expect Mario Lemieux to outscore (points, not just goals) Gretzky. I'm fairly confident too that a lot of the posters on this thread who are arguing Gretzky > Lemieux would also pick Lemieux above Gretzky. But it's close.

If you look at actual facts though - peak, prime, career - Gretzky is ahead of Lemieux in every category. Not by a lot, but definately ahead. And it's a testament both to Lemieux's bad luck (injuries, etc), but also to Gretzky's abilitiy to overcome the odds and compete and be the best no matter what, so more power to him.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
With everything else constant. I would expect Mario Lemieux to outscore (points, not just goals) Gretzky. I'm fairly confident too that a lot of the posters on this thread who are arguing Gretzky > Lemieux would also pick Lemieux above Gretzky.

Based on what?

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
If we were to run a scientific experient. Complete with Time machines, genetic cloning and NHL dictatorship and all that fun stuff. Said expirement would have:

Gretzky and Lemieux at their absolute peak (pick whatever age that is for either).
0 injuries sustained - they play full season at full health
SAME TEAM - SAME Linemate, same opposition, etc
SAME year (so, run the expriement with Gretzky, use time machine and swap him for Lemieux and redo)

With everything else constant. I would expect Mario Lemieux to outscore (points, not just goals) Gretzky. I'm fairly confident too that a lot of the posters on this thread who are arguing Gretzky > Lemieux would also pick Lemieux above Gretzky. But it's close.

If you look at actual facts though - peak, prime, career - Gretzky is ahead of Lemieux in every category. Not by a lot, but definately ahead. And it's a testament both to Lemieux's bad luck (injuries, etc), but also to Gretzky's abilitiy to overcome the odds and compete and be the best no matter what, so more power to him.

This isn't a full season, but this is playing on the same team -- sometimes on the same line -- with (and against) the best players in the world:

Amazing highlights, aren't they? Gretzky would have tied Lemieux for the tournament scoring title with his assists alone if he had not scored a single goal (of course that didn't happen, and Gretz won the Canada Cup scoring title just as he always did in his prime by scoring some goals). And if you look at the one game where Gretz and Mario played on the same line (game 2 vs Russia), Gretz outscores him 5 points to 3 (all 3 of Lemieux's points were goals assisted by Gretzky).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad