Post-Game Talk: #PAVELECTRICITY: Jets Win 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
How is that Thornburn can move up during injuries to play 15 and now the same can be said for Slater. The question is why hasn't Noel and now Maurice been able to rely on them for a few more minutes per game over the last 3 years. What am I missing?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
What a game! I can say I saw both of Pav's shutouts this year - the one tonight and the one at MSG.

Shutouts are so damn satisfying to see live. There were so many putrid Caps fans investing the arena. It was so great for them to have nothing to cheer for all game.

And Ovi was terrible tonight. Complete non-factor on offence and lousy defensively too.

Just a perfect game. :)

This, especially the adult ones standing up in section 117 during warm up claiming they were in their seats only to leave before the game started and never return.:shakehead

TNSE needs to do a better job of keeping fans out of seats that aren't theirs for the warm-up.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Hey so who was saYing they'd have to be CRAZY to start pavs tonight? No way he could beat the Caps? Hahaha

Nothing I love more than being proven wrong when it works to our advantage! I'll be as skeptic if Maurice decides to play Pavelec in both games back-to-back, and if that happens, I hope to be proven wrong again!:handclap:

Pavelec was great. 'Nuff said.

Myers played Ovechkin better than I've seen anyone on our team play him since Clitsome when he first joined the Jets.

Fefe keeps on producing after having been a great possession player all year long.

Toby and Myers have really long sticks. Also, that pairing is looking great.

We're winning these games with a third pairing that no one trusts (neither of whom would play if Buff and Chiarot weren't out), with our #1C out and with our #1PP player out, who's also a great possession player.

Again, O'Dell quietly really good in what little ice time he's given.

I thought Tlusty looked pretty good defensively.

Trouba is a beast. He makes small mistakes, and has the odd game when his confidence with the puck gets him into more trouble than it should, but normally, his ability to skate the puck out of trouble and get it out of the zone without losing possession is HUGE.

Chevy's trades at and before the deadline are looking pretty damn good right about now! I just hope that we manage to re-sign at least Stafford and Stempniak.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Kane hasn't even played a game yet for Buffalo. Buffalo obviously didn't make the trade for this season. When all is said and done, I bet the trade comes out as pretty even.

I'm perfectly happy with Kane/bogo for Myers/stafford without the two prospects and the 1st!

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Pavs played pretty good. ill stop there cuz finding faults in a shutout seems silly.
But to my mind the "d-zone play" of the Jets made this game.
Myers is the real Hero.
He completely shut Ovechkin down.
I can't even begin to say how incredible his performance was. Anyone who says different wasn't watching the same game I was.
Caps broadcasters were blown away by Meyers play.

By far the best player in the Big Trade.
No Myers no shutout. Period.
Honourable mention to Trouba Stu and the rest of the D for clearing the crease and keeping the Caps on the perimeter.
SSW!!!
55 is becoming what we hoped he could be.

Go Jets Go!!!!!

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Awesome game all around, some hiccups by a few folks but luckily they were able to recover.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
It only makes sense to split the games. If I had to guess, I'd put Hutch in against Edmonton. More of a chance to build his confidence. Then Pavs in against the Canucks. But maybe Maurice goes the opposite to give no sign we are taking the foot off the gas. We will see and I'll be okay with what the coach decides.

We win both games neither will I!

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
How is that Thornburn can move up during injuries to play 15 and now the same can be said for Slater. The question is why hasn't Noel and now Maurice been able to rely on them for a few more minutes per game over the last 3 years. What am I missing?

That they suck.

Noel did play them quite a bit. They were our 3rd line for large stretches of the first two seasons.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
While Myers deserved all the rave reviews he got, I thought Trouba had one of his best games in quite some time.

Trouba had a real bad first period but turned it around and had a really good 2nd and 3rd.

Latley when Trouba try's to do too much as he did in the first he gets in a lot of trouble, opposition teams have him figured out this year and when he plays a simpler game he is more effective. Still pretty tough to get a good read on the guy playing with Stu all season.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
are you on Jets team?

sorry Jet...but at least the Kings lost and the Ovechazilla has been slain to make you feel better. :)

Haha yeah I'm over it.

The Winnipeg Jets Hockey League is a joke anyway... I know a lot of leagues are that way but single knockout playoffs with one game for the Championships is dumb.

I used to play in the FHL and they dedicated a bunch of games to playoffs. First series was 3 games then 5 and 5.

We did get crushed though. Pretty sure they brought in a couple of ringers, but not much you are going to do.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ah, so Slater is the new whipping boy around here.

Pretty baseless in my opinion. He may not be the same Jim Slater he was a couple years ago but he is still effective on the PK, face off guys, and 4th line player.

I agree Rusty Cat. Huge amount of disdain around here for him.

He's a 4th line PK'er. I've seen pretty much nothing from O'Dell lately, and he doesn't have the faceoff or PK ability Slater has yet people want to go into the playoffs with O'Dell instead of Slater? No thanks.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
Say want you will about Trouba (and deservedly its mostly good), the boy has ice water running through his veins.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Yeah instead of "take Jim Slater to work" it could be renamed, "find Jim Slater a job", I've already suggested playing assistant coach for the Moose 2.0!

I think that is a great role for Jim within the organization. I'll be expecting an announcement sometime mid July.:) A line of Slater, Jaffray and Mike Keane.:sarcasm:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Every time the Jets got pinned in their own end Slater was on the ice. Every . single . one.

It appears Maurice does not agree with you though. He appeared to double shift Slater a few times at the expense of O'Dell. Either that or Slater was just failing to get off. He was on with Thor & Hali quite a bit.

People might poo poo Slaters faceoff ability but in the Playoffs faceoffs are magnified. Remember the Ellett goal?

I don't think that Slater is a 3rd line centre but 4th line guy who specializes taking faceoffs and PK he is pretty helpful.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I agree Rusty Cat. Huge amount of disdain around here for him.

He's a 4th line PK'er. I've seen pretty much nothing from O'Dell lately, and he doesn't have the faceoff or PK ability Slater has yet people want to go into the playoffs with O'Dell instead of Slater? No thanks.

O'Dell is almost mythical for some. He's a pretty average player who is decent with the puck, not very good without it, therefore he doesn't get the opportunity to handle the puck too much at this level.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I think that is a great role for Jim within the organization. I'll be expecting an announcement sometime mid July.:) A line of Slater, Jaffray and Mike Keane.:sarcasm:

We might also convince Roy, Gilhen and Ridley to come back.....;)

Seriously we might be looking at some pretty good prospects with the Moose 2.0 next season, Petan, Morrissey, Armia, Copp, Helly.......

O'Dell is pretty much a tweener with the tween being closer to the A than N!

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Now that is a better result! :yo:

Haven't seen the highlights, but sound like pavelec had another damn good game. Hey, I am not a huge Pavs fan, but if he keeps playing like this...

Good job Jets :nod:

Byefooglien

Siberia West
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
While Myers deserved all the rave reviews he got, I thought Trouba had one of his best games in quite some time.

I just really ****ing wish he would stop with those weak backhand shove passes up the boards on his strong side, whenever he gets double-teamed down low. None of the right-shot RWs, be it Wheeler, Halischuk, or Stempniak, are able to retrieve the puck before the incoming forechecker does, or win the battle and force the puck out if they DO retrieve it.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Nice one.

In all seriousness though, I agree completely. When he gets in trouble, it's often because he's too calm with the puck in his own zone, which I prefer immensely to another Stuart who just throws the puck away (often to Trouba) so that he won't make a stupid mistake.

Give me a D-man with the ability and the confidence to move the puck himself any day.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
People might poo poo Slaters faceoff ability but in the Playoffs faceoffs are magnified. Remember the Ellett goal?

I don't think that Slater is a 3rd line centre but 4th line guy who specializes taking faceoffs and PK he is pretty helpful.

The problem is that even when Slater wins a face-off in the D zone, he's so ineffective at moving the puck that they still get hemmed in way too often. Part of the problem is that Maurice insists on playing Slater way too much with Pardy and Harrison. That is a recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad