Recalled/Assigned: Pavelec activated from IR; Hellebuyck assigned to the Moose.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Meh- besides sending Pavs on a conditioning stint with the Moose this was our only prudent move.

Shelter our #1= good
Not expose Hutch= good

Let Pavs carry the load- he does well- maybe some GM bites on trade day
- he does as advertised or worse- our GM wins on draft day

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Even at 50% retained (which I doubt the Jets will do) he is still a very expensive backup.

While true, it usually involves taking dead money back the other way. I don't think the Jets will be willing to do that to get rid of Pavelec for one year. They've had ample opportunity to get rid of Pavelec when it would have saved them money and improved the goaltending situation, can't see them making a move that will cost them money.

Agreed the Jets would definitely not retain money but if it has been decided that Helle is the man next year than they need to get rid of Pavs and take back whatever Chevy can get back they can't have Pavs as a backup, lots of things can happen from now till the deadline

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
This was the easiest move to make... believe it or not.

Lets just hope the Moose make the playoffs now and Hellebuyck puts up a better performance in the A while the Jets tank.
Let the tanking begin!

Moose? Playoffs? WTF?

To emphasize ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
While true, it usually involves taking dead money back the other way. I don't think the Jets will be willing to do that to get rid of Pavelec for one year. They've had ample opportunity to get rid of Pavelec when it would have saved them money and improved the goaltending situation, can't see them making a move that will cost them money.

Well, I think this year is a bit different than previous years. I don't think that the team wanted to cut Pavelec loose to replace him from outside the organization - now there's a goalie developed internally that looks ready to take over in the near future as the consensus #1.

This is also the first summer where there's some fairly major cap considerations to consider. If they can move that contract off the books for even 1 year, they can save probably at least $2.5m, if not $3, if they move Pavelec and just keep Hutch for another year at, say, $900k. If you retain half, you're still saving $1.5m - not really chump change (it's more than 1 whole Thorburn!). If you take Hiller's expiring contract for the rest of the season in exchange, then you save this summer when trying to re-sign your RFAs.

This is the best off-season to move on from Pavelec, better than the previous seasons. If they can somehow dump him by the deadline, it's a big win. If not, he's here for one more year and I'm 99.9999% confident that he is not retained beyond next season.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I think the plan is to go Pavelec/Hellebuyck next year as a tandem similar to Pav/Hutch last year.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't know guys, Pavs has been disappointing me for years, so now that we have a shot at the number 1 pick, I'm actually guessing that Pavs is going to become a brick wall and move us on up to "just missing the playoffs" range. :laugh:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I don't know guys, Pavs has been disappointing me for years, so now that we have a shot at the number 1 pick, I'm actually guessing that Pavs is going to become a brick wall and move us on up to "just missing the playoffs" range. :laugh:

This is my fear as well actually...................

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
Gentlemen (and ladies), our tank commander has returned.
My first thought also (as everyone else's, I see). But, now it wouldn't surprise me at all, if Pavelec would go for unbelievable hot streak, and get us just under the wild card spot, at the end of the regular season. Just to ruin the tank. :D

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
And they called me :loony: a month ago saying the Jets would send Helly back to the Moose when Pavs was ready.

That's cause it would have been crazy a month ago. At that point Helle was 9-5-1. If he had maintained that pace over the games played in the previous month the Jets would be in a playoff spot right now.

At this point it's obviously a no-brainer decision.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I agree, sip.

This has a GM "protect the assets, the season is screwed anyway" stamp all over it.

Not a Coach "I'm going down swinging and will try to win every game until the bitter end" flavor to it.

Hellebuck has been pulled in two of his last 3 starts. Maurice has lost all confidence in him. The decision is obviously ultimately Chevy's but I doubt Maurice cares. Pavelec is always been his go to guy. Hutchinson had a far shorter lease than Pav's ever did.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Count me in on the group that fully expects Pav to play well upon his return.

Because you think he's refreshed and motivated to take back his starter role?

Or because you're filled with an overwhelming sense of dread whenever Pavs is on the ice? And in this case the worst possible scenario is a string of wins leaving us in a non-playoff position with a middling draft pick?

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Hellebuck has been pulled in two of his last 3 starts. Maurice has lost all confidence in him. The decision is obviously ultimately Chevy's but I doubt Maurice cares. Pavelec is always been his go to guy. Hutchinson had a far shorter lease than Pav's ever did.

Yeah cheswick, there's no doubt Helle's very poor performance in those two games muddies the water. I wouldn't agree that's enough for Maurice to lose all confidence in him. But I can see the argument. Maybe you're right.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

If he really has than none of us should have any confidence left in Maurice. I mean he trots out the same crap on defence when he could easily change it up with the two guys that are wasting away in the press box and hopefully he could see his goalie being hung out to dry with complete breakdowns had a factor.

This just looks like the easiest decision was made. But I don't know I've given up on trying to make sense of some of these moves.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I don't believe that , if Maurice lost all confidence in Helly he wouldn't have started the Blues game . Maurice raved about Helly's game in St Louis , and the Jets better not leave Helly down with the Moose too long because it's a worse defensive team than the Jets :shakehead

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Yea I'm not sure what the big deal is here, IMO this is the right move. We aren't making the playoffs, I'd rather shelter Helley from the tank, hopefully increase Pavs' value a bit and keep Hutch in case theres eventually any kind of possible return for him

Shelter Helle from the tank? Have you watched the Moose this year? They're far worse off.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
We have 3 weeks to hope that other teams goalies go down to facilitate a trade.

What do you think hutch trade value was at his peak last year just before all-star break? A mid- first?

Pavs puts up good numbers at late season drive. Perhaps there is value. Maybe we get a third rounder for him.

AngelicAssassin*

And they called me :loony: a month ago saying the Jets would send Helly back to the Moose when Pavs was ready.

Called me worse names than that. This is the move that makes the most sense regards of the thinking of the tall foreheads here. With a couple weeks to the trade deadline why risk losing a G for free?

Connor's recent play indicates to me anyways that he could use more playing time with the Moose to work on things where the outcomes of games is by and large less important.

If Hutchinson gets placed on waivers and is claimed we are down to 2 G. Comrie is not ready to be brought up and Olkinoura, well hell to the no. If Hutcinson were claimed then any thoughts whatsoever of trading Pavelec unless a G is coming back go completely out the window.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
This was the right move regardless of the status of Hutch and Pavs. Kid was getting lit up. It just makes sense in every way.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Good for the tank...good for Hellebuyck...he had a nice taste but still needed some work and support....This also ensures Comrie gets some relief from getting shell shock...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad