Recalled/Assigned: Pavelec activated from IR; Hellebuyck assigned to the Moose.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
You don't lower Buycks quality of competition to make him better. He wasn't sent down to "work on things". He was sent down so Chevy can hoard goaltenders. He will be back when the roster opens up.

I think that would be a huge gamble for the Habs. That would be a lot of cap,on goaltending next year and Pavs contract would be near impossible to move.

Going down to the AHL worked well for Adam Lowry..

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
You don't lower Buycks quality of competition to make him better. He wasn't sent down to "work on things". He was sent down so Chevy can hoard goaltenders. He will be back when the roster opens up.

I think that would be a huge gamble for the Habs. That would be a lot of cap,on goaltending next year and Pavs contract would be near impossible to move.

i looked at next year's cap situation. pavs's contract isn't that horrible. but the Habs don't have anyone cap-wise they can trade back except Desharnais. considering a nhl back-up may get $1 mil, having Pavs is really $3 mil above his price. for 1 year, that's not horrible.
Habs have $10 mil in cap space next year. Pavs would eat $4 mil of that. i don't see anyone on their roster that would be brought back at a raise other than Smith-Pelley. so it is possible.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am 100% no longer worried about what we do with our goalies for the balance of this season.

If we can move Pavs for the salary dump I would be on board but either way, extension notwithstanding :help:, we are headed into the last year of his contract next season so the lost half decade is nearing an end.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Pav would have to agree to a conditioning stint. He can't be assigned to one against his will. Also the TD might be a factor. Maybe there's hope someone calls for Pav or hutch

A conditioning stint that he was not going to agree to...

"I said a few days ago that I am ready and I’m ready now," said Pavelec, who added a stint with the Moose, currently the AHL’s worst team, would only hurt, not help his return. After all, he’d been down that road before, in 2010 with Atlanta, an experience the 28-year-old made clear was not beneficial then and would be no better this time around.

"That doesn’t make sense to me," he added. "You want to be on the ice with the NHL players, that’s it."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Hellebuyck-368647871.html

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Yup. It's too early in his career to state that he's going to be an NHL level starter, or a bust. He's a good prospect, and that's about all that can be said with certainty at this point.

Agreed, and to be clear, I wasn't saying his potential is overrated. Just the here and now. This all started because I felt he wasn't a good enough goalie at this time to deserve being named to an all-star team. I still feel that way.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Suck that Helly has to go down.
But he should learn from this and get better for next year.

He started well and faded a bit last 5-6 games.

He'll be better next year.

Wow, Helly started 18 of 20 games, he faded because Mo over-played him, you don't have a young goalie starting every-game like Mo did and not expect to burn him out a bit, sorry this is entirely on the coach!

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
The important part is Helle got a lot of experience in the NHL and knows what to expect next year when he slips into the starting role, and who knows if Chevy can pawn Pavs off at the deadline Helle will be right back in the net this year.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I am 100% no longer worried about what we do with our goalies for the balance of this season.

If we can move Pavs for the salary dump I would be on board but either way, extension notwithstanding :help:, we are headed into the last year of his contract next season so the lost half decade is nearing an end.

My thoughts as well, ps. We can finally see the end in sight of this debacle.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone who thinks Pavelec won't be the presumptive starter next year is going to be disappointed. The right move would've been to waive him and bury him on the Moose to backup Comrie for the rest of this season and next.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Anyone who thinks Pavelec won't be the presumptive starter next year is going to be disappointed. The right move would've been to waive him and bury him on the Moose to backup Comrie for the rest of this season and next.

I think it will be whoever earns the crease; Pavelec or Hellebuyck.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Wow, Helly started 18 of 20 games, he faded because Mo over-played him, you don't have a young goalie starting every-game like Mo did and not expect to burn him out a bit, sorry this is entirely on the coach!

I noticed you changed the game stats but regardless, he's been in 26 games on the Jets, plus another 10 on the Moose. Last year he played 58 games in St John's. He would have to play 22 of the last 29 Moose games to equal that number, and given all the back to back games, I doubt he even gets in another 20. I don't think the workload was above what he should be used to.

Looking at the game logs here:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/helleco01/gamelog/2016/

One could argue the wheels started coming off after 14 games. Is that really enough to start feeling burnt out? Overall, I think getting him into this many games has been a good experience for him.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Guys, here's a dark timeline. What if we resign Pavelec next season for a few more years at 3+ million?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I noticed you changed the game stats but regardless, he's been in 26 games on the Jets, plus another 10 on the Moose. Last year he played 58 games in St John's. He would have to play 22 of the last 29 Moose games to equal that number, and given all the back to back games, I doubt he even gets in another 20. I don't think the workload was above what he should be used to.

Looking at the game logs here:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/helleco01/gamelog/2016/

One could argue the wheels started coming off after 14 games. Is that really enough to start feeling burnt out? Overall, I think getting him into this many games has been a good experience for him.

I heard somewhere in the media that he had started 30 out of 33 games played, the number seemed I high so I checked and voila!;)

Regardless, I still contend Mo overplayed him, not something you do with a young netminder!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Guys, here's a dark timeline. What if we resign Pavelec next season for a few more years at 3+ million?

I operate on: theres no amount of anxiety that can change the future. If they do that, I'll be the first one in these threads leading the charge with my pitchfork.

Until then: life is too short to worry about "what could happen". My assumption is that they see their drafted prospects (Helle, Comrie, et al) as their future in goal. Guess we'll see.

Just speaking for myself, of course.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I operate on: theres no amount of anxiety that can change the future. If they do that, I'll be the first one in these threads leading the charge with my pitchfork.

Until then: life is too short to worry about "what could happen". My assumption is that they see their drafted prospects (Helle, Comrie, et al) as their future in goal. Guess we'll see.

Just speaking for myself, of course.

Agreed. We could all think of 100's of bad what if scenarios. I prefer to think of the more likely (at least IMO) positive future scenarios.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Because Mo knows Hutch isn't a viable option if you want to win games. His mind set was to get this team into a position to make the playoffs. His only option was to ride Buyck hard until Pav came back and let him rest at that point.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

"I said a few days ago that I am ready and I’m ready now," said Pavelec, who added a stint with the Moose, currently the AHL’s worst team, would only hurt, not help his return. After all, he’d been down that road before, in 2010 with Atlanta, an experience the 28-year-old made clear was not beneficial then and would be no better this time around.

"That doesn’t make sense to me," he added. "You want to be on the ice with the NHL players, that’s it."

I wasn't aware that he got a choice. ..

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. We could all think of 100's of bad what if scenarios. I prefer to think of the more likely (at least IMO) positive future scenarios.

The most likely positive scenario is a Hellebuyck/Pavelec duo next year - hopefully with Hellebuyck establishing himself as the #1. And Pavelec as the backup earning $4.75M...?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I wasn't aware that he got a choice. ..

Yeah, they do...

- for the player...Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, a team can send a player on a conditioning stint of up to 14 consecutive days with that player's approval.

- for the team... While in the AHL, the player will continue to receive his NHL salary and count against the salary cap.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth

Yeah well, I'd like my NHL's team players to be on the ice with a true NHL goalie but we can't have everything all the time can we.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Best deal chance would be to trade Ladd and take Pavs with; because we could lose Ladd for nothing and still have Pavs. We have players that need new contracts for players we Want to Keep. Pretty much the only thing left for The Jets this year to watch, after the trade I imagine people will start looking for their bandwagon teams and avatars.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I think it will be whoever earns the crease; Pavelec or Hellebuyck.

Problem with that approach, and we've seen it continually under Maurice, is that it always results in him defaulting back to Pavelec when his challenger shows any sign of faltering. We saw it with Montoya two years ago, we saw it with Hutchinson last season, and now we're seeing it with Hellebuyck this year.

The day that Ondrej Pavelec is no longer considered our starting goaltender - whether that be through trade, buyout, or the Jets management/coaching no longer feeling obligated to declare him as such based on his contract - will be a very good day for this franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad