Recalled/Assigned: Pavelec activated from IR; Hellebuyck assigned to the Moose.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Problem with that approach, and we've seen it continually under Maurice, is that it always results in him defaulting back to Pavelec when his challenger shows any sign of faltering. We saw it with Montoya two years ago, we saw it with Hutchinson last season, and now we're seeing it with Hellebuyck this year.

The day that Ondrej Pavelec is no longer considered our starting goaltender - whether that be through trade, buyout, or the Jets management/coaching no longer feeling obligated to declare him as such based on his contract - will be a very good day for this franchise.

Agree with the last part...but with Hutch, he struggled quite a bit his stellar sv percentage tumbling all the way down to a .913 I think ad then Pavs stood on his head to get us into the playoffs.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Agree with the last part...but with Hutch, he struggled quite a bit his stellar sv percentage tumbling all the way down to a .913 I think ad then Pavs stood on his head to get us into the playoffs.

Sure, it worked out last season.

More than anything, I just don't understand why anyone needs to unseat Pavelec and earn the crease from him. What has he done to earn it in the first place? Not going to say anything more, as it's getting into dead horse territory.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

More than anything, I just don't understand why anyone needs to unseat Pavelec and earn the crease from him. What has he done to earn it in the first place? Not going to say anything more, as it's getting into dead horse territory.

Well he was here when they got here...so I guess being first counts for something lol

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

There are 4.25 million reasons why Pavelec owns the starting goalie spot. 4.75 million reasons next season...

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
This may have been addressed already, so I'm committing a personal pet peeve of mine by responding to this thread without reading it in it's entirety.

I was interested in discussing why Pavelec wasn't sent down to the Moose for conditioning. He's been out for 33 games, this must have been an option.

As always, I'm cheering our Jets on tonight, but if Pavelec gets pulled, I'll be the first to suggest that this move is the first real evidence that a tank is underway.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Hutch needs games in net if he's ever to return to form.

After two seasons of playing 30 games each in the Bruins farm system, he was a free agent signing that played 55 games in total for our ECHL/AHL/NHL teams in 2013-2014.

He was the hot hand in Winnipeg, earning the starting job from Pavelec the following season, before faltering after the All Star break. His work load has decreased significantly since then.

The best thing for him would be to get sent down, but the best thing for him isn't the best thing for the Jets, who must feel he'd be lost to waivers if they tried this.

Quite a Catch-22 situation.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
A conditioning stint that he was not going to agree to...

"I said a few days ago that I am ready and I’m ready now," said Pavelec, who added a stint with the Moose, currently the AHL’s worst team, would only hurt, not help his return. After all, he’d been down that road before, in 2010 with Atlanta, an experience the 28-year-old made clear was not beneficial then and would be no better this time around.

"That doesn’t make sense to me," he added. "You want to be on the ice with the NHL players, that’s it."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Hellebuyck-368647871.html

Yeah, they do...

- for the player...Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, a team can send a player on a conditioning stint of up to 14 consecutive days with that player's approval.

- for the team... While in the AHL, the player will continue to receive his NHL salary and count against the salary cap.

This may have been addressed already, so I'm committing a personal pet peeve of mine by responding to this thread without reading it in it's entirety.

I was interested in discussing why Pavelec wasn't sent down to the Moose for conditioning. He's been out for 33 games, this must have been an option.

As always, I'm cheering our Jets on tonight, but if Pavelec gets pulled, I'll be the first to suggest that this move is the first real evidence that a tank is underway.

Here are the relevant posts from the last page. He basically said it didn't make sense.

I think he might have been worried about a Budaj-like performance, given how weak the Moose are this year.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Here are the relevant posts from the last page. He basically said it didn't make sense.

I think he might have been worried about a Budaj-like performance, given how weak the Moose are this year.

I think Pavelec bought himself an extra 2 weeks on IR by refusing the assignment. There's literally no downside to him on a personal level to take the assignment, he'd get paid the same and it can't go longer than 2 weeks, likely would have been 1-2 games. Now he's essentially jumping in cold against NHL competition after being out 3 months.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Pavelec bought himself an extra 2 weeks on IR by refusing the assignment. There's literally no downside to him on a personal level to take the assignment, he'd get paid the same and it can't go longer than 2 weeks, likely would have been 1-2 games. Now he's essentially jumping in cold against NHL competition after being out 3 months.

Tonight certainly has the potential to be a high scoring affair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad