Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

ivan-drago-i-must-break-you.gif

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Minty leads the team in PP ice time. I wonder if Drysdale coming back will cut into that.
If anything, Drysdale probably should cut away most ice time from our lower-rabked Dmen. Minty isn't going to magically disappear, and I have a very hard time believing he will hit a real wall this season already. Next season? Maybe. But this season I think he's just going to pounce on his opportunities.

Reactions: lwvs84

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I would love to get Fowler off the PP to help manage his minutes, but if they insist then this would be my preference.

Z-Mac-Leo-Terry-Minty
Killorn-Strome-Vatrano-Fowler-Drysdale
They're going to switch one of the first line forwards with Killorn, almost guaranteed. He's the "net front presence" and IMO has actually been doing a pretty good job of it.

My guess is that he's swapped with McTavish

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
They're going to switch one of the first line forwards with Killorn, almost guaranteed. He's the "net front presence" and IMO has actually been doing a pretty good job of it.

My guess is that he's swapped with McTavish

Maybe, but I don’t see why Mac can’t be that net front presence and more importantly he’s a guy who actually wins faceoffs and thus Carlsson or Zegras won’t have to take them.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Mac is maybe the only one on the team whose one-timer is a weapon. I like him in the right faceoff circle ready to hammer the puck.

He’s arguably our best all around goal scorer, which is just another reason I wouldn’t remove him from PP1 because of his goal scoring versatility. I’d remove Terry for Killorn, he’s the most one dimensional goal scorer we have, can run the second unit from the left half wall with his shot or Vatrano one timer as another option. In Terry’s highest goal scoring season I’m almost certain he played on the 2nd PP and we all, including myself, bitched about it but it worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Duck Knight

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I could live with thatd if they let JD be the offensive force d on the two. Otherwise, Fowler should just get some extra rest.
I assume Fowler prob aint worried about Powerplay timed... if anything he prob would hate to lose those mins.

I think his 5v5 mins will be cut down with JD back... i also think JD plays on PK a little(if i remember correctly) and should take some time off his total there.

Ive mentioned before, but i also think Mintyukov is on a bit of a program himself (not as talked about as carlsson)... and i think the team is keeping his mins down a bit to hopefully prevent that rookie wall. But i think at some point youll see minty get more time on PK, which would take some more of those tougher mins off fowler.

Hopefully they bring fowlers average down to 22ish, but allow him to get PP time... and just less 5v5/pk time.

Reactions: Rybread86

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I assume Fowler prob aint worried about Powerplay timed... if anything he prob would hate to lose those mins.

I think his 5v5 mins will be cut down with JD back... i also think JD plays on PK a little(if i remember correctly) and should take some time off his total there.

Ive mentioned before, but i also think Mintyukov is on a bit of a program himself (not as talked about as carlsson)... and i think the team is keeping his mins down a bit to hopefully prevent that rookie wall. But i think at some point youll see minty get more time on PK, which would take some more of those tougher mins off fowler.

Hopefully they bring fowlers average down to 22ish, but allow him to get PP time... and just less 5v5/pk time.
I just can't stand to see a PP run by a guy with a muffin from the point with nothing else to contribute. You give up your advantage when the point shot is so weak that teams don't feel the need to defend it. Either put somebody who can rove like Scotty did (and I'd hope they develop JD as such), or somebody with a cannon to be respected. Regardless of where his overall minutes come from, it needs to stop being the PP.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I just can't stand to see a PP run by a guy with a muffin from the point with nothing else to contribute. You give up your advantage when the point shot is so weak that teams don't feel the need to defend it. Either put somebody who can rove like Scotty did (and I'd hope they develop JD as such), or somebody with a cannon to be respected. Regardless of where his overall minutes come from, it needs to stop being the PP.

Cam has many goals on the powerplay over the last 3 seasons as Hedman and Karlsson and is 13th in the league among defenders in that regard. His shot isn't incredible but it feels like you're focusing more on power than results, and the results are that Cam is at the high end of the league for PP goals.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Cam has many goals on the powerplay over the last 3 seasons as Hedman and Karlsson and is 13th in the league among defenders in that regard. His shot isn't incredible but it feels like you're focusing more on power than results, and the results are that Cam is at the high end of the league for PP goals.
Well, I'm looking for the PP to be threat from as many places as possible. Starting with a good shot from the point. Add a net front presence willing to mix it up and deflect shots and rebounds as well as guys with a powerful one timer from the half wall.

It seems like all Cam does is skate around and occasionally fire a muffin somewhere hoping for the best. I can't dispute the numbers but I can't believe that among Minty, JD, Luneau, and Z2 we don't have 2 guys that can bump him off the PP.

Reactions: Deuce22
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Cam is in the same tier as OEL/Giordano/Pietrangelo in terms of PP scoring since he came into the league, and that includes long stretches when he was sharing ice time with guys like Pronger/Niedermayer/Visnovsky.

If you think it should be easy for any 20 year old to come in and knock him off you're expecting a top-20 PP-running D in the league, regardless of whether you think all Cam's doing is skating around aimlessly and firing weak shots. Maybe this is the year, we'll see.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Cam is in the same tier as OEL/Giordano/Pietrangelo in terms of PP scoring since he came into the league, and that includes long stretches when he was sharing ice time with guys like Pronger/Niedermayer/Visnovsky.

If you think it should be easy for any 20 year old to come in and knock him off you're expecting a top-20 PP-running D in the league, regardless of whether you think all Cam's doing is skating around aimlessly and firing weak shots. Maybe this is the year, we'll see.
Was Cam here when Pronger/Nieds were here? I thought we got him after Scotty left the team and Pronger left before him.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

Putting Cam into context this way surprised the hell out of me.

Reactions: Yemeth
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Was Cam here when Pronger/Nieds were here? I thought we got him after Scotty left the team and Pronger left before him.

It was Visnovsky, Beauchemin, and Lydman. Also Sbisa, if you remember those conversations.
Yeah quite right. I have Cam and Scotty side by side in my mind because there was so much talk early on about how having Scotty as a mentor (and landlord, right? Didn't he leave there?) would be good for him. And how similar they were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad