• Paul Coffey

Votes: 184 72.4%
  • Erik Karlsson

Votes: 70 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Taking lesser performances in injury riddled seasons is irrelevant to a conversation about peak and/or hypothetical peak performance given different eras.

You seem to be arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point.
We are going to agree to disagree as you seem to think that your projections are valid when it's pretty clear that there is a huge underlying problem with them.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Was going to say Ben White must be Karlssons HFB burner account but Kevin8se7en is giving him a run for his money.
9B2E981F-D191-4F7D-823C-B919353EAEFD.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Still have idiots going with the dumb narrative of "herppp derrrpppp he played with Gretzky and Lemieux I could've put up 100 points playing with them !!1!1!!!"

He can be better than Karlsson and also be the luckiest player in NHL history.

Coffey managed to play with Gretzky AND Messier AND Kurri AND Lemieux AND Francis AND Gretzky again AND Yzerman AND Fedorov AND Lindros AND Francis again.

There are a ton of guys who went an entire career without playing with the likes of one of those guys, including Karlsson until now.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Coffey managed to play with Gretzky AND Messier AND Kurri AND Lemieux AND Francis AND Gretzky again AND Yzerman AND Fedorov AND Lindros AND Francis again.

There are a ton of guys who went an entire career without playing with the likes of one of those guys, including Karlsson until now.

Of course - my whole point was people like to say the only reason he has 3 Norris' and scored a lot is because of great players.

When infact others in this thread have [pointed out he produced just fine without them.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

apparentlyclueless

Dec 29, 2019
This is a good start in terms of adding some math to the discussion. I'm not totally sold on the adjusted stats from hockey-reference.com, but let's use them as a starting point. Here's a table showing the best five seasons for 25 of the top defensemen from the 1980's to today (plus Bobby Orr):

View attachment 744998

Karlsson ranks third, which is very impressive. Coffey is 14.7% ahead of him. Karlsson is only 4.3% ahead of 4th place (Leetch), 8.2% ahead of 5th place (Bourque), 11.9% ahead of 6th place (MacInnis), and 13.0% ahead of 7th place (Burns). (I just realized I didn't include Denis Potvin, who comes in at 79.0).

This is where the conversation turns to semantics, so I'll bow out. Does 15% qualify as "same tier"? I'll let the linguists debate that. But the size of the gap between Coffey and Karlsson (14.7%) is larger than the gap between Karlsson, Leetch, Bourque, Potvin, MacInnis and Burns. If we argue that Karlsson and Coffey are close, we'd have to conclude that Karlsson and Burns are close, and that doesn't feel right.

(EDIT - we should also consider the context and maybe an argument can be made that, considering team environments, Karlsson's lead over some of those players is more impressive than Coffey's lead over him. But it's still an uphill battle based on a lot of speculation).
Thanks, good stuff here! Based on gut feeling I kind of agreed with the poster ( @Matsun ) who said these three (Orr, Coffey, Karlsson) are all on their own tiers and everybody else comes after. I'd say that's pretty accurate based on this. I guess you could make an argument to put Leetch on Karlsson's tier as well based on these numbers but that's a moot.

I certainly feel like Karlsson would be closer to Coffey than Leetch here but these numbers just show how amazing Coffey truly was. I don't see how this is a detraction from Karlsson (as many of his adamant defenders here seem to think) - just appreciate true greatness. It doesn't take anything away from Karlsson to admit that there have been two guys better than him in league history, while Karlsson could still be put in a tier of his own, just below these two.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Larry Murphy probably had more luck but that's a side point.

Also luck is one thing capitalizing on it is another.

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Damn this guy fell off a cliff this year. So... what's the excuse now?
Mike Sullivan neutered him.

That said I think he's been great. On pace for 55 points and a +25. And Karlsson-Pettersson have the absolute best even strength metrics in the league of any pairing. If the pens pp wasn't so useless his stats would look nicer.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Damn this guy fell off a cliff this year. So... what's the excuse now?
Do you actually watch the games or just stats watching? He’s actually been really good however still acclimating to his new team and he fundamentally hates to share #1D minutes and deployment with another Dman. He’s playing with less confidence and a much more conservative game than last season. He is getting older but “falling off a cliff” isn’t an accurate description. Wouldn’t be surprised if he bounces back in the offensive number’s column heavily at some point this season.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
People say Coffey is the luckiest defenseman ever, but let’s be real it’s Charlie Huddy

Guy has 5 cups and can’t stand up on skates

Reactions: Voight

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

That said I think he's been great. On pace for 55 points and a +25. And Karlsson-Pettersson have the absolute best even strength metrics in the league of any pairing. If the pens pp wasn't so useless his stats would look nicer.

Perhaps it could be worded as... Sullivan turned him into a defenseman.

Some might call it "fundamentally hates to share #1D minutes and deployment with another Dman". How on earth that can be validated is certainly a question.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Perhaps it could be worded as... Sullivan turned him into a defenseman.

Some might call it "fundamentally hates to share #1D minutes and deployment with another Dman". How on earth that can be validated is certainly a question.
Well just look at what happened with or without Burns in SJ, and now

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Do you actually watch the games or just stats watching? He’s actually been really good however still acclimating to his new team and he fundamentally hates to share #1D minutes and deployment with another Dman. He’s playing with less confidence and a much more conservative game than last season. He is getting older but “falling off a cliff” isn’t an accurate description. Wouldn’t be surprised if he bounces back in the offensive number’s column heavily at some point this season.
Well I guess Coffey has him beat as he acclimatized right away in good situations right?

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009

But none of that matters. Is he top dog? Is he leading the league in assists? I've learned in this thread that that's the only way to gage Karlsson.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

All those players were lucky to play with Coffey

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I was going to vote Coffey. Then I saw that someone bumped this thread because Karlsson has "fallen off a cliff". In a season where he's on pace for 60 points and +20 with outstanding fancy stats at 33 years old. So if that is Karlsson falling off a cliff he's clearly better than Coffey.

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad