Tribute Paul Byron appreciation thread

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
His last contract was a big overpayment given his production during the deal. But given how injuries derailed his career, I am happy he got paid prior to retiring given he spent most his career on league minimums prior to that contract.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
3 cup appearances with 2 wins over 7 years.... Not many teams have had a run like that. We weren't the firewagon hockey team that we used to be but God damn... Gainey, Carbo, Skrudland, Robinson, Chelios, Roy... we were impossible to score on. We were the Devils before they were the Devils.
Perhaps. But we are not many teams. We are the Montreal Canadiens. In the 1983 Playoffs against the much superior New York Islanders, the great Bob Gainey was playing with two separated shoulders. It was a feat of great courage. In the final game, just before the team left the dressing room, Gainey stood up and addressed the team with one simple sentence: ‘We are the Montreal Canadiens.’ Nothing more needed to be said. This team is not satisfied with four Cup final appearances in nearly half century.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In the interview, the reason Byron hasn't officially announced his retirement yet is because he has a few different answers from different doctors. So he's a bit in a "not sure if it's over or not" head space right now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Perhaps. But we are not many teams. We are the Montreal Canadiens. In the 1983 Playoffs against the much superior New York Islanders, the great Bob Gainey was playing with two separated shoulders. It was a feat of great courage. In the final game, just before the team left the dressing room, Gainey stood up and addressed the team with one simple sentence: ‘We are the Montreal Canadiens.’ Nothing more needed to be said. This team is not satisfied with four Cup final appearances in nearly half century.
Hab clubs of the 80s and early 90s were great. 70s or not, great clubs.

Now? It’s a completely different league. You will never see a 1970s Hab team ever again. The best you can hope for is to assemble what Tampa did.

All that being said, no excuse for the incompetent way the teams’ been run for the past 30 years. Bergevin’s tenure was particularly frustrating btw…

Anyways, hope for the best going forward.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Cup run really did end the careers of several players eh?

Price
Webber
Byron
Gallagher :sarcasm:

Edmundson and armia were never the same either.

But for some of these guys, it wasn't just the run.... It was an accumulation over the years, and the recognition that this playoff would be their last opportunity.

Byron, weber, and price fall into this category.

Gallagher hasn't been the same since he came back from injury that year. He was already bad when the playoffs started.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
As others have said, Byron is still seeing if he can play, but mentions he played softball just before the interview and felt pretty sore the next day, so I'm thinking that's an indication he's likely done, but might be waiting to see if someone gives him a pto. Maybe the Habs do

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Sorry but no. The 80s Habs teams were great. The 93 cup is a bit of a fluke but that club was still pretty good.

Irrlevant for 30 years... sure. :laugh: Irrelevant for 40? No.

93 team finished with over 100 points (albeit an 84 game season but no loser point back then either). It was good for 5th or 6th best in the league... Can't remember exactly, but I believe they also finished the year with a losing streak so it bumped them down a bit.

That is with Roy having a pedestrian season up until the playoffs. Now, when Roy turna on his switch, that 6th place team gets even better.

So I don't think I'd call it a fluke. It was a good regular season team that elevated in the playoffs when their best player turned it up a notch.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
93 team finished with over 100 points (albeit an 84 game season but no loser point back then either). It was good for 5th or 6th best in the league... Can't remember exactly, but I believe they also finished the year with a losing streak so it bumped them down a bit.
That is with Roy having a pedestrian season up until the playoffs. Now, when Roy turna on his switch, that 6th place team gets even better.
So I don't think I'd call it a fluke. It was a good regular season team that elevated in the playoffs when their best player turned it up a notch.
I'm still speechless that people call this a fluke.

Muller 26 years old 959 career points - 108th all time
Damphousse 24 years old 432 goals and 1205 career points - 50th all time in points and 76th all time in goals
Bellows 28 years old 485 goals and 1022 career points - 51st all time in goals and 88th all time in points
Denis Savard 31 years old yeah he had slowed down but he was still a perfectly capable 2nd line center
LeClair 23 years old 406 goals and 819 career points in only 967 games - yeah he had not reach his prime yet but he was not playing a lot on a 2nd line and pretty much no PP. He was already a monster along the boards.
Desjardins finished top 10 norris voting 5 times. Was 4th in norris voting in 1999-2000. He was only 23 and had not reached his prime yet but he was good.
Schneider finished top 10 in norris voting twice. 743 career points which rank him 24th all time. He was also a vicious player very unpredictable and certainly not fun to play against. Was only 23 so had not reached his prime yet but already very good.

Roy.

Very underrated team imo. Good depth. Lot of physical players. Guys with loose cables like Schneider and Damphousse. Intimidating team to play against for sure. I wish young fans could have seen LeClair play. The guy was something even in Montreal. The the payoffs of 92-93 he was slowly starting to reach his prime and it was a beauty. Guy was built like a **** tank. Anderson is a care bear in front of LeClair.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm still speechless that people call this a fluke.

Muller 26 years old 959 career points - 108th all time
Damphousse 24 years old 432 goals and 1205 career points - 50th all time in points and 76th all time in goals
Bellows 28 years old 485 goals and 1022 career points - 51st all time in goals and 88th all time in points
Denis Savard 31 years old yeah he had slowed down but he was still a perfectly capable 2nd line center
LeClair 23 years old 406 goals and 819 career points in only 967 games - yeah he had not reach his prime yet but he was not playing a lot on a 2nd line and pretty much no PP. He was already a monster along the boards.
Desjardins finished top 10 norris voting 5 times. Was 4th in norris voting in 1999-2000. He was only 23 and had not reached his prime yet but he was good.
Schneider finished top 10 in norris voting twice. 743 career points which rank him 24th all time. He was also a vicious player very unpredictable and certainly not fun to play against. Was only 23 so had not reached his prime yet but already very good.

Roy.

Very underrated team imo. Good depth. Lot of physical players. Guys with loose cables like Schneider and Damphousse. Intimidating team to play against for sure. I wish young fans could have seen LeClair play. The guy was something even in Montreal. The the payoffs of 92-93 he was slowly starting to reach his prime and it was a beauty. Guy was built like a **** tank. Anderson is a care bear in front of LeClair.

Yeah, I think the defense at the time was very young, so maybe at that specific point, it didn't quite get the recognition it deserved.

But when you look at that defense in retrospect, those youngsters all went on to play for a very long time.

Desjardins played over a thousand games, and would be a guy you would find playing on team Canada in best on best tournaments.

Schneider played over a thousand games and was one of the better offensive dmen of his time.

Odelein played over a thousand games, and was a member of the 96 world cup team for Canada.

Brisebois played over a thousand games. I know it was a bumpy ride with him, but I don't think he was that bad. If he had been used as a #4 and a PP QB, I think it would have been more suited to him, and his montreal stay would have been smoother. I thought he was actually pretty good in a smaller role when he finished his career in Montreal.

Sean Hill didn't quite reach 1000 games. His journey took the long route but once he settled in, he became a decent nhler as well.

Aside from that you had depth guys like deigneault who was okay, but even he was only around 26 at the time and was a veteran compared to the guys I mentioned.

The only other guy worth mentioning is haller, who is the one person on that defense who kind of fizzled, and didn't have much of a career.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
No Cups in over 30 years with the only two Cups won in the last 44 years having been ‘backed into’ because the prohibitive favourites (Oilers in 85/86 and the Penguins in 92/93) were eliminated by other teams, is the very definition of being irrelevant. We have become the Cleveland Browns of hockey. I come from a time when if the Canadiens didn’t win a Cup there were calls for a Federal Inquiry. Or worse. I always hoped that I would live long enough to savour one more championship or at least see us become relevant. Until the recent change in management, that hope was a bit forlorn. Now, I see the possibility of progress to a brighter future for this legendary team. We have been in out in the wilderness of mediocrity for a long period. I suspect things are going to change. And change quickly. Good management can accomplish a lot.

This is an unhinged post. Even in recent history, there is zero comparison to make between the Cleveland Browns and the Montreal Canadiens. Even in the 21st century, I'd venture to guess that Habs results have been above-average league wide.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
This is an unhinged post. Even in recent history, there is zero comparison to make between the Cleveland Browns and the Montreal Canadiens. Even in the 21st century, I'd venture to guess that Habs results have been above-average league wide.
That’s the problem: you seem to be satisfied with being above average. How many Cups have we won with our being above average?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That’s the problem: you seem to be satisfied with being above average. How many Cups have we won with our being above average?

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I've said.

Of course I want a Cup. Doesn't mean that you dismissing two Cups and comparing us to one of the worst run franchise in sports is an absurd comparison that's ultimately really silly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad