Tribute Paul Byron appreciation thread

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It looks like Byron's career as a player is over based on what was said at the end of season interviews today. It's sad that another player is having his career ended due to injury, especially Byron who always gave it his all for the Habs.

I'd love for him to stick around the organization in one way or another, and I'm glad he seems to want to.

Good luck in the next stage of your career, Paul, and thanks for playing your ass off for the team!

Last edited:

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
There was talk about his contract but I remember how under paid he was on his previous deal.

The goal in game one against the Leafs is as good as it gets for me. The guy was a great example on and off the ice.

Interesting that the Flames left him available, years before they gave up on another guy, Martin St. Louis. Believe he has a future in hockey somewhere if he wants it.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Interesting that the Flames left him available, years before they gave up on another guy, Martin St. Louis. Believe he has a future in hockey somewhere if he wants it.
He had a small groin injury when the Flame waived him and they needed the roster/cap space. They probably didn't expect any team to pick him up at the start of the season like that when every team are trying to dump players to the AHL.

Reactions: Canad13ns

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was their not a recent poll of Habs players that saw most of them seeing him as a GM down the line? Canadiens player poll: The biggest chatterbox, the future GMs, and more

“(Byron) is in the GM’s box. He’s surely learning!”

“Byron, 100%. He always has ideas, he’s always brainstorming stuff. I think he’d love doing management. I asked him once and he said he did.”

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
He had a small groin injury when the Flame waived him and they needed the roster/cap space. They probably didn't expect any team to pick him up at the start of the season like that when every team are trying to dump players to the AHL.
His scoring touch also didn't come until he was with the Habs. He'd get the breakaways but couldn't bury his chances at all.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The best job for him it's coach at skating. But yeah player development will be very good aswell. I really liked him. Good guy, good player and hard worker.

Given that he struggles walking 40 minutes, I'd be surprised if it was something as implicated on the ice as a skating coach.

Reactions: Oryxo

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
One of my favorite Habs during his time here. He worked his ass off and never took a shift off and had himself a very nice NHL career. Hopefully he can heal enough from his injuries so he can enjoy his time with his wife and children. Good luck Paul and thanks for giving your all every shift.

The video of Byron's son hanging out with the Habs players in the room and on the ice that was put out by the Habs a little while ago was pretty cool. Here is the video for anyone who hasn't seen it and wants to check it out.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
He's a great guy -- I'd keep him on in some capacity in player development or something.

Reactions: cphabs

Jul 6, 2016
He put his body through the ringer. Hope he can start to feel better and enjoy his time with his family.

Very sad for him. I hope he will recover to normal and have a happy life. Geez, he looks over 40 now.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Mad respect for Byron, little soldier went to war every game, weren't scared of the rough stuff even though he always was severely undersized.

Wouldn't mind one bit if he was brought back in player development, pretty sure he's respected enough for players to listen to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00