Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
rumor is Ovi kicked his ass in call of duty the night before :D

He is young, a great talent and is constantly improving. I wont be surprised to see him back on the top line sooner or later to shake things up.
But Laine's been bragging he's the best. Hahaha :)

When hockey players before drink beer on their free time. Now online games :)

Time have changed alright....

Reactions: tacogeoff

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
An agents job is to get the most money he can for his player and he does this by starting off asking for an unreasonable amount. So, JMO, Laine's agent is going to start negotiations at $10,000,000 per season. How low the Jets can get them to bend is what needs to be seen.

An agents job is to keep their client happy. If Laine says get me as much money as possible then that could be true, but it's just as likely he asks for a fair deal for long term like Scheifele did.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Regardless as to the amount of money the Jets end of giving Laine.... they have to put a clause in his contract that says... " No beards!!! "

Seriously, he gets A+ for effort but F- ( or whatever the lowest grade is ) for execution. You want a beard, fine, then at least trim it a bit so it doesn't look like some woodland creature jumped on your face and got stuck there.

Add also a clause concerning olympic participation then...

And what comes to beard, I'll miss it if he shave it. Some minor trimming wouldn't be bad thing to do, but I personally wouldn't like to see any kind metrosexual hidalgo style facial hair on his face. If it grows great. Better he will represent backwood McLumberjack or that last stand guy of Stamfordbridge than some glitter pete with oiled bush.

At bare minimum nobody touch to his beard until after last playoff game.

This comment comes from the guy who have long beard, and highlander type hair (it's possible to mosh with it), and enough age to be Patrik's dad. Why grown man should voluntarily look like a child?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
An agents job is to keep their client happy. If Laine says get me as much money as possible then that could be true, but it's just as likely he asks for a fair deal for long term like Scheifele did.

Some interesting articles from a former big time sports agent (mostly NFL). He has listed a formula and I would assume most would use something of the same but probably more updated to todays standards/advancements as he is retired and started in the mid 70s.

I guess it would mostly be up to Laine to choose his own path. In another thread I had put that I figured the agent would be out to look after Laine's long term monetary gains but based on this guys formula it seems like the athletes may have more control/say over what happens in negotiations.

"There is an obligation to truly understand a young man or woman’s greatest hopes and dreams and most limiting apprehensions and fears. This process can be initiated by asking an athlete to be internally introspective and evaluate their own goals and priorities."

How critical are values such as:
•Short-term economic gain?
•Long-term financial security?
•Family?
•Geographical location — weather, urban/rural lifestyle?
•Profile and endorsements?

Then inventory sports priorities:
•Starting.
•Winning team.
•Coaching.
•System.
•Playing surface and facilities.

"Ranking and valuing these priorities will add clarity in decision making and help the agent actualize a client’s dreams. "

How To Be A Great Sports Agent

How To Be A Great Sports Agent--Signing Prospects Part I

How To Be A Great Sports Agent--Signing Prospects Part 2

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Ehlers is leading Connor by 2 goals. 2 count them. Considering how many more NHL games Ehlers has then Connor I would not say the difference is really that big. Connor is 6 goals behind Laine. When you consider that Laine has been on the first pp all season and has at least 10 more NHL games the discrepenancy is not that big. In addition Connor has been more reliable with the puck than Ehlers with fewer major turn overs that led to goals.

Connor has played 54 games, Laine and Ehlers each 60. So, no, not "has at least 10 more NHL games." Beyond that, I think line structure has a lot to do with it -- not totally maybe, but Maurice put Connor at the top of the lineup (including PP1) pretty much since his recall and for most of the time since while stapling Ehlers and Connor to an unproductive situation, which persists even now.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Connor has played 54 games, Laine and Ehlers each 60. So, no, not "has at least 10 more NHL games." Beyond that, I think line structure has a lot to do with it -- not totally maybe, but Maurice put Connor at the top of the lineup (including PP1) pretty much since his recall and for most of the time since while stapling Ehlers and Connor to an unproductive situation, which persists even now.
Connor is also not the first option on either power play. They first look for Laine and Ehlers (pp2). I think Connor would have more success if the pp was designed for him. It won't be with the marvellous Laine there, but, something to take into consideration when looking at goals.
I also wonder whether Wheeler and Schief prefer playing es with Connor. With Connor everyone shoots, everyone passes everyone does the grunt work behind the net. With Laine the way some ppl want him to take every shot and turn everyone else into grinder or playmaker. Schief and Wheeler like shooting the puck too and are glad someone else is willing to share the grinding work. Maybe just letting Laine shoot would lead to more goals and more wins but less fun.
They also might feel that they can anticipate Connor better so they can connect better. That it's not just about sheltering the rook.
Also I clearly remember against LVGK Connor had two goals from the 4th line playing with Hendricks and Armia. This is the first time Ehlers hasn't at least had Little.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Connor is also not the first option on either power play. They first look for Laine and Ehlers (pp2). I think Connor would have more success if the pp was designed for him. It won't be with the marvellous Laine there, but, something to take into consideration when looking at goals.
I also wonder whether Wheeler and Schief prefer playing es with Connor. With Connor everyone shoots, everyone passes everyone does the grunt work behind the net. With Laine the way some ppl want him to take every shot and turn everyone else into grinder or playmaker. Schief and Wheeler like shooting the puck too and are glad someone else is willing to share the grinding work. Maybe just letting Laine shoot would lead to more goals and more wins but less fun.
They also might feel that they can anticipate Connor better so they can connect better. That it's not just about sheltering the rook.
Also I clearly remember against LVGK Connor had two goals from the 4th line playing with Hendricks and Armia. This is the first time Ehlers hasn't at least had Little.

You must not remember the good ol' Scorburn days ;)

Reactions: Ducky10

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Some interesting articles from a former big time sports agent (mostly NFL). He has listed a formula and I would assume most would use something of the same but probably more updated to todays standards/advancements as he is retired and started in the mid 70s.

I guess it would mostly be up to Laine to choose his own path. In another thread I had put that I figured the agent would be out to look after Laine's long term monetary gains but based on this guys formula it seems like the athletes may have more control/say over what happens in negotiations.

"There is an obligation to truly understand a young man or woman’s greatest hopes and dreams and most limiting apprehensions and fears. This process can be initiated by asking an athlete to be internally introspective and evaluate their own goals and priorities."

How critical are values such as:
•Short-term economic gain?
•Long-term financial security?
•Family?
•Geographical location — weather, urban/rural lifestyle?
•Profile and endorsements?

Then inventory sports priorities:
•Starting.
•Winning team.
•Coaching.
•System.
•Playing surface and facilities.

"Ranking and valuing these priorities will add clarity in decision making and help the agent actualize a client’s dreams. "

How To Be A Great Sports Agent

How To Be A Great Sports Agent--Signing Prospects Part I

How To Be A Great Sports Agent--Signing Prospects Part 2

Nice post!

I think something that isn't mentioned as much is the "Nordic" mentality. Comparatively to other athletes in his country he is going to be making a boatload of money regardless of what he signs for. There isn't as big of a culture for being money hungry as there is in North America. I think he will take what most consider a fair contract for both sides and can't really see him trying to push for every last cent.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Add also a clause concerning olympic participation then...

And what comes to beard, I'll miss it if he shave it. Some minor trimming wouldn't be bad thing to do, but I personally wouldn't like to see any kind metrosexual hidalgo style facial hair on his face. If it grows great. Better he will represent backwood McLumberjack or that last stand guy of Stamfordbridge than some glitter pete with oiled bush.

At bare minimum nobody touch to his beard until after last playoff game.

This comment comes from the guy who have long beard, and highlander type hair (it's possible to mosh with it), and enough age to be Patrik's dad. Why grown man should voluntarily look like a child?

I'm sorry but suave villain moustache Laine is where's it at.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Nice post!

I think something that isn't mentioned as much is the "Nordic" mentality. Comparatively to other athletes in his country he is going to be making a boatload of money regardless of what he signs for. There isn't as big of a culture for being money hungry as there is in North America. I think he will take what most consider a fair contract for both sides and can't really see him trying to push for every last cent.

We like money in Finland too. It’s a status symbol sqnd all that. But really, between 6 and 8 mil it’s not about status anymore for athletes, at least in public opinion.

Have you heard of studies where richer folks are greedier than the poor? Many such studies have failed to replicate in Europe. Culture plays a big role. I expect he will take a fair contract, not so small as to say he was screwed over and not so big as to make it seem he squeezed every penny.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
We like money in Finland too. It’s a status symbol sqnd all that. But really, between 6 and 8 mil it’s not about status anymore for athletes, at least in public opinion.

Have you heard of studies where richer folks are greedier than the poor? Many such studies have failed to replicate in Europe. Culture plays a big role. I expect he will take a fair contract, not so small as to say he was screwed over and not so big as to make it seem he squeezed every penny.

I think you are right:) Big enough that it's "fair" (another important Nordic trait) but small enough that he doesn't appear greedy.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hopefully Connor gets only 4-5 mil as he's not as good at Ehlers at 6 and nowhere in the same class as Laine 8+

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Truth is you cant pay Laine enough for what he'll bring with his Hammer. The man is Thor and we need to sign him before we win a cup and he goes back to Asgard.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think you are right:) Big enough that it's "fair" (another important Nordic trait) but small enough that he doesn't appear greedy.
I do agree with this Nordic mentality that you pointed out here. Of course there are also exceptions, as we see within the Nordic businessmen. But in general people have this quite neutral approach towards money. Of course it’s important to have enough of money, or even a bit more than that, but still most of the Finnish people would really settle for just having enough money to not have to worry about it, even if it wouldn’t mean that you would be driving fancy cars and boats.

In my opinion Laine seems like having this type of Nordic mentality, so I would be really surprised if he wouldn’t settle for 7-8 millions per season. I would be at least quite surprised if he would demand more. But I find it also quite hard to believe that he would settle for less than 7 millions per season, as he still knows quite well what his value is for the team as the clearly best goal scorer already at such a young age.

Reactions: GNP and DashingDane

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I do agree with this Nordic mentality that you pointed out here. Of course there are also exceptions, as we see within the Nordic businessmen. But in general people have this quite neutral approach towards money. Of course it’s important to have enough of money, or even a bit more than that, but still most of the Finnish people would really settle for just having enough money to not have to worry about it, even if it wouldn’t mean that you would be driving fancy cars and boats.

In my opinion Laine seems like having this type of Nordic mentality, so I would be really surprised if he wouldn’t settle for 7-8 millions per season. I would be at least quite surprised if he would demand more. But I find it also quite hard to believe that he would settle for less than 7 millions per season, as he still knows quite well what his value is for the team as the clearly best goal scorer already at such a young age.

First time in my life I appreciate the "Jante" law lol. It might allow the Jets to save a boatload of money:)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
First time in my life I appreciate the "Jante" law lol. It might allow the Jets to save a boatload of money:)
I could see really a dynasty being built, if the youngster’s salaries end up to around what both of us have been estimating here. And that would be really wonderful of course! :)

Reactions: DashingDane

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's sitting on a big year next season. Not that he has been bad this year, he is still leading one of the best NHL teams this season in goals. But there is so much more in his game that we already have seen glimpses in his first 2 seasons. As a teenager, it would be hard pressed to find many that have been better. Can't wait for the playoffs. Have a feeling he is one of those players that will elevate his game when the games are more important. As he has proven with his Kurri award. Very happy with his progress this year that had him rated so highly from the 2016 draft.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
My bet is he signs an identical contract to Ehlers.
:crossfing
If it would be out of my pocket, group: Sheif, Wheels and Laine in 1mil range from each other. After them, group: Little, Nic and Buff same +/- mil, but 20% less than the S,W,L group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln