Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He would probably be fine with 7-8 Or even less if it was up to him but it isn't. His agent will go there to get paid, and he has all the arguments in the world to get a lot.

They aren't really allowed to go that much under market value because it would be used by other teams as a negotiation tool in everyone else's contracts. "Laine only got 6 a year" would become the new mantra for any GM entering contract talks with their players.

It's not up to Laine as much as we'd like to think it is. He will take a discount but it will be similar to what Toews and Kane took (about half a million). His contract will in all likelihood be double digits per year. Goalscorers are the most valuable asset and this guy is probably the best ever in that. And it's very likely he will lead the league in goals for most of the next 10 seasons at least. There really isn't a market example for that kind of player.

Look on the bright side, if you do get him at 10 a year, it's quite plausible there will be seasons during his contract where he is 5 million underpaid compared to true market value. A 60+50 player would already be close to that value and I think he has a higher ceiling than that
If his agent is not doing what he wants then he needs a different agent. We shall see if he keeps these numbers up next year. If he doesn't improve on them I wouldn't go higher than 7. Right now he is not showing that he is the best goalscorer ever. If he can't even drive his own line I wouldn't go higher than 7.

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
Ehlers is leading Connor by 2 goals. 2 count them. Considering how many more NHL games Ehlers has then Connor I would not say the difference is really that big. Connor is 6 goals behind Laine. When you consider that Laine has been on the first pp all season and has at least 10 more NHL games the discrepenancy is not that big. In addition Connor has been more reliable with the puck than Ehlers with fewer major turn overs that led to goals.
Wait wait, just wait...hasn't Connor played on that same PP1 all season? Not even gonna mention the fact that he has had sheltered 1st line minutes 5on5 with Wheeler and Scheifele most of the season... Connor is not a better player than Ehlers or Laine, it's as simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Wait wait, just wait...hasn't Connor played on that same PP1 all season? Not even gonna mention the fact that he has had sheltered 1st line minutes 5on5 with Wheeler and Scheifele most of the season... Connor is not a better player than Ehlers or Laine, it's as simple as that.

Pretty much that.

Connor has been great no doubt, but he has been most of the time with two best forwards for the Jets and has only 6 games less than Ehlers & Laine.

Laine has not been playing with Scheifele. When Ehlers played with Scheif he also had some multi goal games so there is a big difference if you are playing with CSW/ESW when compared to ELL. Connor has also more TOI/GP than Ehlers and marginally more than Laine has.

If Connor was better than Ehlers no doubt he should lead Ehlers with a quite margin now due to his linemates. I'm not even starting the comparison between Laine and Connor since 8 point and 6 goal difference is huge considering line mates / dysfunctional line.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ehlers is leading Connor by 2 goals. 2 count them. Considering how many more NHL games Ehlers has then Connor I would not say the difference is really that big. Connor is 6 goals behind Laine. When you consider that Laine has been on the first pp all season and has at least 10 more NHL games the discrepenancy is not that big. In addition Connor has been more reliable with the puck than Ehlers with fewer major turn overs that led to goals.
Connor will not have that many goals if he was playing with copp in the 3rd line.
Laine play pp unit so does Connor.
6 goals is significant considering deployment.

By the way i was commenting to the poster stating that 9-10 goals is not likely for Laine to achieve in 23 games.

Connor is good but copp turned into goal scorer with Schiefele and wheeler.
And Ehlers was on fire playing with them.
Limited time for Laine to judge but seeing how 26 to 55 does to other players. It would be very positive results.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Question.i only could think of Jagr.
How many Euro trained players were able to come to NHL after their draft year and play?

As an 18 years old and do well?

Thanks

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Question.i only could think of Jagr.
How many Euro trained players were able to come to NHL after their draft year and play?

As an 18 years old and do well?

Thanks
Laine, Jagr, Kovalchuk, Hischier. Those are the notable 18 year olds. Gaborik went 18g 18a in his 18 year old season too, maybe worth mentioning. Laine's season was by far the best.

Laine's 19 year old season seems to be on par with Jagr's, Gaborik's and Ilya's, give or take a few points ( Most likely take). with 60 points this season he'd be #40 on all time 19 year old scoring. Out of European players that'd be 3rd best. Goal scoring wise Ilya would be the one to beat with his 38 goals @ 19 years of age.

The short story is that Patrik is good. Really really good.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Pretty much that.

Connor has been great no doubt, but he has been most of the time with two best forwards for the Jets and has only 6 games less than Ehlers & Laine.

Laine has not been playing with Scheifele. When Ehlers played with Scheif he also had some multi goal games so there is a big difference if you are playing with CSW/ESW when compared to ELL. Connor has also more TOI/GP than Ehlers and marginally more than Laine has.

If Connor was better than Ehlers no doubt he should lead Ehlers with a quite margin now due to his linemates. I'm not even starting the comparison between Laine and Connor since 8 point and 6 goal difference is huge considering line mates / dysfunctional line.
No one said Connor was better I just said the gap was tiny. Also Connor is less of a liability than Ehlers as Ehlers has had 4 turn overs that have led to goals. You talk about no Chef, but, Little is a better linemate than Armia or Hendricks who Connor has had quite a few goals with. He in fact had a 2 goal game with just Armia and Hendricks. That is much harder to do than playing with Little and Perrault.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Laine, Jagr, Kovalchuk, Hischier. Those are the notable 18 year olds. Gaborik went 18g 18a in his 18 year old season too, maybe worth mentioning. Laine's season was by far the best.

Laine's 19 year old season seems to be on par with Jagr's, Gaborik's and Ilya's, give or take a few points ( Most likely take). with 60 points this season he'd be #40 on all time 19 year old scoring. Out of European players that'd be 3rd best. Goal scoring wise Ilya would be the one to beat with his 38 goals @ 19 years of age.

The short story is that Patrik is good. Really really good.
Great thanks

Hischier i didn't think he was euro train. Thought he was similar path as Ehlers.

But that is some company. Considering Laine should pass Kovi and Jagr played in that Pittsburgh monster team.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Great thanks

Hischier i didn't think he was euro train. Thought he was similar path as Ehlers.

But that is some company. Considering Laine should pass Kovi and Jagr played in that Pittsburgh monster team.
Passing Kovi would take 68 points & passing Jagr 70. Probably not gonna happen. It's not impossible, but it is very unlikely.

Reactions: Jetsfareast

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Passing Kovi would take 68 points & passing Jagr 70. Probably not gonna happen. It's not impossible, but it is very unlikely.
Not that i think Laine will be better than those 2. He has ways to go.
But talking just goals as under 20. I believe he will pass both.
I also think Kovi was the main offense as soon as he went into the trashers line up.

Thanks
3rd best is not too bad :)

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Not that i think Laine will be better than those 2. He has ways to go.
But talking just goals as under 20. I believe he will pass both.
I also think Kovi was the main offense as soon as he went into the trashers line up.

Thanks
3rd best is not too bad :)
Yeah, i think it's safe to say he's not going to be better than Jagr. If he could reach Kovalchuk level, that'd be pretty amazing. Who knows?

Reactions: Jetsfareast

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
28th goal was just basic PP-stuff [sic], that didn't contribute to anything. This time it took 4 seconds from the faceoff win to arrange supply chain of ammunition to the trailgun, but maybe 1 sec was wasted because Laine had to recover that 1st assist behind him before the shot. 25% of that goal can be put onto goalie's Hoover-mode.

Not the prettiest PP-goal of him this year.

Laine should play in all PPs, especially if/when Jets is trailing.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He's no Jagr and Jagr didn't even get paid that much.

He has crushed all Jagr records so far (but we can't know their trajections jet), but I don't think you can compare salaries from 25 years ago.

Comparisons to latter days Jagr are not fruitfull since Jagr might be one of a kind with his longevity, and who knows if a serious injury ends Laine's career next season.

If you set the baseline with Little getting 6.5M (and 5.3M AAV with a longish contract) and Draisaitl getting 8.5M, no doubt Laine's value in couple of years should be double digits.

I guess and expect more like 8x8 for Laine and while that is really cheap for him, that would benefit both Jets and Laine with moderate cap hit for the Jets and better Stanley Cup probability for Laine as they can keep some good depth players with the discount.

Scheifele contract was a jackpot for the Jets at 6.1M while Little contract is just way too expensive tbh and may backfire when Wheeler, Laine, Roslovic and Connor will be signed.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The consistency at which he keeps scoring on PP is freaky. Best onetimer and slapper in the league

This. Given that he gets that low amount of good one timer passes on PP his goal count is unbelievable.

Yet another goal that simply should not be a goal since he did not get an one-timer pass and goalie was ready for his shot.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Draisaitl is grossly overpaid. A deal something like Pastarnak got would be more realistic. Or maybe something in between. If i was Laine or his manager i'd maybe try to go for a 3x6 and see what i can get when older.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Laine deserves 8-10 millions per season.

I think Laine will sign in and around $ 7 to $ 7.5 mil per year -"a team friendly deal. If he didn't have a fantastic shot, his game is just ordinary, but then again he's only 18-19 years old.

If Laine was UFA -- some team would likely go around $ 9- 9.5 mil per year on him. That is what's good about the Cap--it keeps things fair, and from getting carried away, and stressing the finances of smaller franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->