Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope?

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
He said today in interview he hopes that he plays in Columbus next year. Its about how the team spirit is not just about having the best roster i think.

that's also called professionalism and he is getting used to it

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I didn't find the game day thread on Minnesota game.

Two "nice" knee-on-knee hits on Voracek & Laine, both mostly unintentional. I am really worried that Laine misses most of the remaining season.

What a Pyrrhic victory for CBJ that was.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I didn't find the game day thread on Minnesota game.

Two "nice" knee-on-knee hits on Voracek & Laine, both mostly unintentional. I am really worried that Laine misses most of the remaining season.

What a Pyrrhic victory for CBJ that was.
GDT was nuked with migration.

Reactions: Halberdier

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
In today's AP article, Laine was quoted (talking about a Finnish OL Jarmo was helping OSU make feel comfortable in Columbus):

That’s a big, big boy,” Laine said with a big smile. “Hopefully he comes (to school) here so we can get a little more Finnish presence in this town."

Just another comment that makes you feel like Laine is comfortable with the idea of staying in Columbus.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
In today's AP article, Laine was quoted (talking about a Finnish OL Jarmo was helping OSU make feel comfortable in Columbus):

That’s a big, big boy,” Laine said with a big smile. “Hopefully he comes (to school) here so we can get a little more Finnish presence in this town."
This guy?

Reactions: Viqsi and Doggy

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
This guy?
I don't follow football but I remember seeing that guy on a random yt video 2-3 years ago. Said his favorite NFL team is Browns so choosing OSU shouldn't be a big surprise I guess...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This guy?
Yep. He got to meet Kekalainen and Korpisalo and Laine earlier.

img_2581-1-scaled-e1647140169240-1024x645.jpg

Item No. 1: A football Finn

It’s not every day that Blue Jackets 6-foot-5 forward Patrik Laine looks up to make eye contact. He’s a towering figure in most NHL dressing rooms, but that changed this week when a mountainous 18-year-old walked through the doors.

Olaus Alinen, a 6-7, 315-pound offensive lineman from Finland, spent a few days last week with Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen and his family. Kekalainen is friends with Finnish football legend Klaus Alinen, Olaus’ father.

It was all part of an unofficial visit to Ohio State, which is one of more than 40 FBS programs with scholarship offers on the table for Alinen. He’s currently a senior at Loomis Chafee School, a college prep boarding school in Windsor, Conn.

“I was really impressed with him,” Kekalainen said. “I’m not a football expert, and I’m not going to try to be, but I was impressed with him as a person, just how mature he was and how he seemed to be handling the process he’s going through, with so many scholarship offers.

“Hopefully he comes to Ohio State and makes us football fans, too. It was an unofficial visit, but I was happy to help. Finns stick together.”

Early last week, Kekalainen went to OSU with Alinen to watch a spring practice and take a tour of the facilities.

“It was really a great experience,” Kekalainen said. “Wow, what a freakin’ facility they have. Just unbelievable. I’ve been in NFL locker rooms, I’ve been in baseball (clubhouses) — it’s been a little while — but I’ve never seen anything like that.”

Kekalainen then brought Alinen into the Blue Jackets’ dressing room to meet Laine and goaltender Joonas Korpisalo, the two Finns on the club. Korpisalo and Alinen are both from Pori, on the west coast of Finland against the Baltic Sea.

“(Olaus) wears a size 17 shoe,” Kekalainen said. “He played goalie when he was younger, but they couldn’t get him big enough skates anymore, so he had to quit playing hockey.”

He seems to have made the right choice. Alinen, considered a four-star prospect, has offers from Alabama, Georgia, Miami, USC, Stanford, Ohio State and others. He’s making more unofficial visits in the coming weeks.

“That’s a big, big boy,” Laine said with a big smile. “Hopefully he comes (to school) here so we can get a little more Finnish presence in this town.

“It would be fun going to the games now and then to see a Finnish guy play. He’s in a great position where he can choose wherever he wants to go. If he decides to come here, I could try to help him out, if he has any questions.”

Klaus Alinen, a tight end, played in a few preseason games with the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons, but mostly stayed in Finland, where he had a Hall of Fame career. Finland has its own seven-team league, the Vaahteraliiga, which was founded in 1980.

No Finnish-born player has ever played in an NFL game, Kekalainen said, “but Olaus might be the first.”

Alinen is expected to make an official visit to Ohio State this summer. He told The Athletic that he had a great first visit to Columbus.

“It was seriously awesome to meet those players and have Mr. Kekalainen help during my visit,” he said. “(Laine and Koripisalo) are players I’ve watched growing up, doing great things, and I think really highly of them. It was really cool to meet them.

“I was able to see both Columbus and Ohio State on my visit. It’s a really good thing to have that Columbus connection. If I choose Ohio State, that could be really helpful.”

If Kekalainen helps Ohio State land their next great offensive lineman, you wonder if/how the Buckeyes might repay the favor. Maybe they’d let Kekalainen’s hockey team use that football stadium for an outdoor game some year.

(You just know that if he does come here, Herbie is going to absolutely love that story and tell it any chance he gets...)

Feb 4, 2017
Stockholm
Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Starting to look like the Bluejackets have solved their issue of players not wanting to stay here . Give Jd credit, also coach Larsen . JD Has brought a steadiness , calming presence , that there is an actual plan we are following now … and Larsen, the way he handled the Kivi situation showed what type of man he is and brought the room together , not to mention he’s brought in a top 10 offense , where players know they can play to their skill set , and even a game plan that focuses around utilizing their strengths .. Also, you have to give credit to Jarmo .. the outlook for this franchise is vastly different if he wasn’t able to swindle Chicago .. that was a game changer which allowed them to bring in Bo and Bean, Sillinger , and whomever they draft this yr.. last yrs draft was franchise altering … And I think Larsen and Jd balance out Jarmos no nonsense , some may say cold/cutthroat approach

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I think it is more that shots are finding the back of the net. The team as a whole has a higher shooting percentage. They are almost 3 percent better than last year. While Laine is enjoying a career best shooting percentage, his percentage of shots that get through is only .2 pecent better than last season, and is the 2nd lowest for his career. Shots that weren't going in in past seasons for the team are going in this year. I'm not seeing any difference in where the shots are coming from, the top scorers are all shooting from places they always have, they are going in this year. They may be selling out more for offense, but they are paying for it on defense. The numbers are up, but not as high as other seasons to the point we can just say the coach is letting them play to their strengths more.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think it is more that shots are finding the back of the net. The team as a whole has a higher shooting percentage. They are almost 3 percent better than last year. While Laine is enjoying a career best shooting percentage, his percentage of shots that get through is only .2 pecent better than last season, and is the 2nd lowest for his career. Shots that weren't going in in past seasons for the team are going in this year. I'm not seeing any difference in where the shots are coming from, the top scorers are all shooting from places they always have, they are going in this year. They may be selling out more for offense, but they are paying for it on defense. The numbers are up, but not as high as other seasons to the point we can just say the coach is letting them play to their strengths more.
Yeah.. we will just have to disagree… their passing, tempo , breakouts, and just the style they now play is a Night and Day Difference . Allowing players to play their game , not over think, not being afraid to make a mistake , makes a huge difference .

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
What's not to like? That FOW% could be better. No other complaints. A huge 200 feet game against Ottawa, even with "only" two helper points.

1647496327945.png

Reactions: Garbox

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Saila is a great follow on twitter if you're looking for CBJ content from Finland. Mostly Laine or Jarmo stuff, but very interesting to read IMO.
I second that. She will engage as well. Granted she is just a fan but she does have a lot of history with following Laine. I've been trying to get more info from her on Mikael Pyyhtia as well. :)

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Front loaded 6 years. Gives us cap felixibity in the prime of our win window. Gives him a chance at a second shot at a big contract at like 29 years old or so

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad