Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I'm not well versed in the cap situation, but I would imagine it's not going to be problem for the next few years. So a 5-year deal would seem to make sense even if the money was a bit on the high side. It would give the Jackets enough of a window to get the team into a competitive spot within that time frame.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I don't see anyway he doesn't come in at 9+

People can dissect Laine's game/personality and focus on the weak parts of his game all they want, but as a whole player; he's ELITE! More elite than PLD, Johansen and yes, even more elite than Nash. Panarin is the only player (IMO) CBJ has ever had that was better. And taking into account his age, history and other contracts (Marner, Skinner and most importantly; Matthews and Werenski) it wouldn't surprise me if it goes 10+.

And I'm ok with that.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Everything will depend on how Patrik continues. Of course nobody expects him to continue a similar pace, it's not possible, players are not robots. See his play against Florida in Columbus and now. But he can't have too much fallout, lose the puck often, play bad defense. And he has to create some chances even when the plays don't go in

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Got to think his contact comes in at 10.5 to 11.5 of the cap based on comparables like Kuzy and Ovi.

That's 8.5 to 9.4. Got to think it will be closer to the high end.

AmishLandJackets

Jun 5, 2021
The more I think about it... I'm probably comfortable waiting until the off-season to work on the long term extension. I don't think there's a real rush at this point. We all know he is on a HEATER out of this world right now. I'm very pleasantly surprised by his all around play as well. I certainly hope he continues to play like this. Screw the damn TANK at this point. But, I do want to see how the rest of the season plays out. I noticed Matthew Tkachuk is a RFA as well. I fully expect/am comfortable going 9.0-9.75 million a year. Things start to get a bit worrisome over the 10 million mark, but if his play keeps up like this- I think you have to go with it and pay him.

Will say- I hope a long term extension gets done. I was on board with trading him earlier this calendar year. But, I think I was just a damn idiot. I do think Jarmo has to come away with a long term deal with Laine though. I can't imagine trying to explain to the fans/franchise that you couldn't get a long term deal done with Laine. It'd be very tough news for the franchise.

Judging from the comments from both camps- I do think a long term deal gets done.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The problem I see with Jarmo waiting until the summer to try to sign him is that he's losing all of his leverage. He could offer Laine the world next summer like he did with a past player and Laine could just play out next year and walk to wherever he wants for nothing. This is why a contract extension/this years trade deadline is important. Apparently not to Jarmo.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Of keen interest is that Laine will be just 24 when signing his next contract. Assuming he’s not thinking another one year deal, will he prefer an 8 year that takes him to 32 or a five year deal that allows him possibly another big dollar deal at 29? Either probably works for the Jackets; it’s then more about the AAV…..Still liking $8.0 - 8.5, but will he?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Of keen interest is that Laine will be just 24 when signing his next contract. Assuming he’s not thinking another one year deal, will he prefer an 8 year that takes him to 32 or a five year deal that allows him possibly another big dollar deal at 29? Either probably works for the Jackets; it’s then more about the AAV…..Still liking $8.0 - 8.5, but will he?
Either way...

PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Hmm. To me this second quote isn’t the most encouraging insight.

Where Patrik Laine fits in long-term remains to be seen. The star winger is an RFA this summer and obviously, the Blue Jackets hope to sign him to a long-term deal. If that’s not doable, then some decisions might have to be made there. But that can wait until then. It’s pretty clear that the Blue Jackets GM is none too pleased that trade rumors have surfaced regarding Laine ahead of March 21 because it sounds as though Kekalainen hasn’t brought up his name once to any of his GM colleagues, as far as I can tell.

“Yeah it bothers me because people make up shit, that’s what bothers me,’’ Kekalainen said. “I understand that sometimes from conversations you have (with teams) some of it may leak out, and a name gets in there, but this is not a case like that. This is just somebody making shit up from their own speculation of what we might do. They make it up and hope for the headlines and hope for the clicks. I think that’s unethical. And I don’t have any time for it.’’

As for Laine, we’ll see what happens this summer.

“I’ve said this before about Laine, we have no rush, we have his rights for this year and next year,’’ Kekalainen said. “When the time is right, we’re going to sit down and look at all the options together and see if we can come to a solution that he will stay for us for a term that fits the need of both sides and for the dollars that meet the needs of both sides.
“Let’s see if there’s a marriage that we can get into. And if not, you know, that’s hockey. I always say, every player that gets into the time frame when they can become (unrestricted) free agents, they can do that if they want to. And there’s not much we can do about it. The only thing we can do is sit down and talk about all the options and present what makes sense for us, listen to what makes sense for the other side and see if there’s a deal to be made.’’

Reactions: tunnelvision

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I would love to be a fly on the wall when they finally do sit down to talk. Between Jarmo's no-nonsense businessman approach and Laine's unfiltered responses; I bet a deal get's done. Probably won't be the smoothest meeting but a little fire never hurt anyone...

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Glad to see Jarmo giving the impression he's taking his time with Laine. If he said anything along the lines of "can't wait to get a multi-year deal done as soon as the offseason starts" based on 1-2 month long hot streak, I would be questioning their entire retool strategy and be seriously afraid of the future for this team.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Glad to see Jarmo giving the impression he's taking his time with Laine. If he said anything along the lines of "can't wait to get a multi-year deal done as soon as the offseason starts" based on 1-2 month long hot streak, I would be questioning their entire retool strategy and be seriously afraid of the future for this team.
Hes got a large body of work to look at filled with highs and lows. I think what Jarmo and really all of us needed to see was some buy in and some offense without the stars around him in Winnipeg. We knew he had the tools but we needed to see him produce in this enviroment and now hes doing it.
I dont know what all this equates to in $ value but I dont know how anyone couldnt be more comfortable now with a big deal than they were month or 2 ago

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I've noticed with Laine that he tends to dominate smaller teams, as expected, but yet still has been effective against good teams.That is very encouraging. While the team is playing better and Boone is having a career year, I still don't think he has insane talent around him.

He is "the guy" teams are focusing on and yet he is still producing, that leads me to believe he will continue to improve as he ages.

For those who are against 10 Million a year, or even 9+, let's remember he's doing all of this at the age of 23. That's pretty insane to think about what he will be in his prime years where he hopefully develops a more tenacious forechecking game. I don't have as much fear as some of the other do about paying him Kuzy/Ovie money as one poster mentioned.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't see any way Laine comes in under $9.5AAV on a long term deal. I suspect his deal runs 5 or 6 years to cash in on another deal. He has one RFA year and then any added years are UFA years the CBJ will be buying. If any of us think he's getting < $9.5AAV on the open market I think our heads are in the sand. Now he appears to love Columbus but he's still going to want to be paid somewhat fair market value and he's a 40 g scorer that continues to show he has elite skill. He's streaky but most scorers are. He's added more to his 200ft game but will never be a Selke candidate. He's started to add some checking to his game but he'll never be confused with Boone Jenner. You know what you are getting and you know what you'll lose without him. It impacts the entire team structure. Just like Panarin did. It isn't just what he brings but what he allows others to bring by taking on the higher level competition.

I imagine a 5 year , $49MM type deal.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Laine’s point totals against the top 10 teams (currently, most points) this season:

Colorado: 2 points, 1 game.
Carolina: 2 points, 4 games.
Tampa: 0 points, 1 game.
Florida: 2 points, 1 game.
Toronto: 2 points, 1 game.
Pittsburgh: 1 point, 2 games.
New York Rangers: 2 points, 2 games.
St. louis: hasn’t played them yet.
Calgary: 1 point, 2 games.
Boston: hasn’t played them yet.

12 points in 14 games this season against the top 10 teams in the league.

pretty, pretty damn good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad