Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine’s point totals against the top 10 teams (currently, most points) this season:

Colorado: 2 points, 1 game.
Carolina: 2 points, 4 games.
Tampa: 0 points, 1 game.
Florida: 2 points, 1 game.
Toronto: 2 points, 1 game.
Pittsburgh: 1 point, 2 games.
New York Rangers: 2 points, 2 games.
St. louis: hasn’t played them yet.
Calgary: 1 point, 2 games.
Boston: hasn’t played them yet.

12 points in 14 games this season against the top 10 teams in the league.

pretty, pretty damn good.
Florida 3 points - 3 games.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
The Jenner line usually seems to play best-on-best anyway, so it's not like they feast against easy match ups against any team. Even the weaker teams in the league mostly have respectable 1st lines and top pairs, so I don't think there's many teams in the league where you look at the rosters on paper and have the CBJ come up as the clear favourite. Goalies of course are always a factor, but they are more game-by-game whether hot or cold.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The Jenner line usually seems to play best-on-best anyway, so it's not like they feast against easy match ups against any team. Even the weaker teams in the league mostly have respectable 1st lines and top pairs, so I don't think there's many teams in the league where you look at the rosters on paper and have the CBJ come up as the clear favourite. Goalies of course are always a factor, but they are more game-by-game whether hot or cold.

I haven't seen recent stats, but at some point it was so that the Jenner line was not only facing usually the best opposition, but they also had a high number of defensive zone starts, so they are relied upon on tough situations.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't seen recent stats, but at some point it was so that the Jenner line was not only facing usually the best opposition, but they also had a high number of defensive zone starts, so they are relied upon on tough situations.

Right, not as many d zone starts as Robinson-Kuraly-Texier, but right after them.

They have a difficult job, and by many of the fundamentals they don't do very well (Laine and Jenner are both in the bottom 5 of forwards leaguewide in chances against), but so far they've been getting 92.5% goaltending, and on the offensive side the shooting talent is there to outscore the opposition even if they lose the possession battle.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Laine’s point totals against the top 10 teams (currently, most points) this season:

Colorado: 2 points, 1 game.
Carolina: 2 points, 4 games.
Tampa: 0 points, 1 game.
Florida: 2 points, 1 game.
Toronto: 2 points, 1 game.
Pittsburgh: 1 point, 2 games.
New York Rangers: 2 points, 2 games.
St. louis: hasn’t played them yet.
Calgary: 1 point, 2 games.
Boston: hasn’t played them yet.

12 points in 14 games this season against the top 10 teams in the league.

pretty, pretty damn good.

Wow those are some kick ass stats that bode well for the future, especially given that the first line has played a lot against the best lines in the show.

I’m equally impressed with almost all of Laine’s goals and the large majority of his points having come on 5 vs 5. When the CBJ get a good power play going he’ll win some hardware and the team will go far.

And all this while elevating other players. He’s not playing with stars that are carrying him.

Very very good stuff. I’m happy for him.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I feel that Patrik would appreciate being UFA, and rather take bit shorter deal with lower pay rather than going to upside salary with longer deal. 3 years 7.5M, leaving some cap for other players I hope. I mean who cares if u make 7.5 or 8.5M? :P He seems happy in Columbus though, not like he wants to get out or anything. It'd be just the UFA status and chance to win cup some day if things dont pan out well in Columbus.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I feel that Patrik would appreciate being UFA, and rather take bit shorter deal with lower pay rather than going to upside salary with longer deal. 3 years 7.5M, leaving some cap for other players I hope. I mean who cares if u make 7.5 or 8.5M? :P He seems happy in Columbus though, not like he wants to get out or anything. It'd be just the UFA status and chance to win cup some day if things dont pan out well in Columbus.

Yes it such a joy to play with most skilled players in the league

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
So far this season, has Laine been the best player in Blue Jackets? If you guys are thinking of paying him 9+ million then he very well needs to be the best player on that team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So far this season, has Laine been the best player in Blue Jackets? If you guys are thinking of paying him 9+ million then he very well needs to be the best player on that team.

It's hard to really say if he has or hasn't. Boone Jenner has unquestionably been more consistent and very good this year. Nyquist, after a rough start, has been the Gus Nyquist we needed. Voracek was probably in the running at one point, but he had a major slump (along with the rest of the team) in the December/January months. Elvis was hard carrying the team at the start of the year too.

Laine has been the most consistently dangerous offensive player on the team. He's got the unquestioned most offensive talent on the team by a long shot. He's a genuine threat any time he's in the offensive zone and he's really cutting back on the Laineisms (my affectionate nickname for some of his glaring mistakes such as turning the puck over while trying to deke through 5 guys instead of dumping it in, getting the puck stripped in the NZ, or standing still in the DZ, among other things) on this hot streak. Against Boston tonight he was the best player on the ice IMO and he made tons of plays.

9.5 is rich, but its getting harder and harder to say he doesn't deserve that type of pay with his production right now. If he continues this stretch through the end of the season, he might just price himself out of Columbus' range. But if he's realistic and is genuine on his high interest in staying (which I believe he is) I hope he'll take a modest "discount" of 8.5-9 million to stay.

Reactions: Stubu

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Disagree, superstar money on the market today is 11-13 million.
Just think what Gaudreau would get from the open market this summer.

You can absolutely pay 9M to a guy who can score 40, already today. In few years time that would be a steal.

With Laine the consistency of course will be a question but he’s young and will have better roster around him moving forward

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I made stats forwards 5:5 - CBJ, TML, CGL, EDM, CAR, FLA, COL, NYR and the best 30 from these teams. Patrik Laine is the 10th. None of our other players are in the TOP 30. Of course I know it`ll still change but now if he`s over Draisaitl, McDavid, Barkov, Aho or Panarin, it`s very good.
004dac58a803.jpg

Reactions: Halberdier

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's hard to really say if he has or hasn't. Boone Jenner has unquestionably been more consistent and very good this year. Nyquist, after a rough start, has been the Gus Nyquist we needed. Voracek was probably in the running at one point, but he had a major slump (along with the rest of the team) in the December/January months. Elvis was hard carrying the team at the start of the year too.

Laine has been the most consistently dangerous offensive player on the team. He's got the unquestioned most offensive talent on the team by a long shot. He's a genuine threat any time he's in the offensive zone and he's really cutting back on the Laineisms (my affectionate nickname for some of his glaring mistakes such as turning the puck over while trying to deke through 5 guys instead of dumping it in, getting the puck stripped in the NZ, or standing still in the DZ, among other things) on this hot streak. Against Boston tonight he was the best player on the ice IMO and he made tons of plays.

9.5 is rich, but its getting harder and harder to say he doesn't deserve that type of pay with his production right now. If he continues this stretch through the end of the season, he might just price himself out of Columbus' range. But if he's realistic and is genuine on his high interest in staying (which I believe he is) I hope he'll take a modest "discount" of 8.5-9 million to stay.
I don't think it's possible for Laine to price himself out of Columbus. I don't think Jarmo would have any problem opening up the vault for him. You he's showing signs of becoming an all around player and potentially some leadership. And all of this while he's still younger than Panarin when he came over to the NHL...and we were ready to hand the keys to the city over to Panarin. I think Jarmo is comfortable enough with Laine considering how long he's known him, that he would have no issue offering him a long term deal.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
First, he has been. Recency bias works both ways. People seem to forget all the times Panarin and Nash screwed up and took chances that didn't work out. Laine has been the biggest threat and most noticeable player on the team IMO. Take him out and the only threat (based on skill & history) is Bjorkstrand and while he's pretty elite himself, there's NO ONE behind them.
Secondly, I don't think 8, 9, 10 or 13m requires you to be the best player on a team. Does that mean Werenski HAS to be the best player on a nightly basis? Putting a lot of pressure on just one person (hockey is a team game) based on the business side of the game.

Laine would be an excellent guy to pair with a first line center. Doesn't really matter if that center is a 1A or 1B to make a NHL worthy topline. Plus he seems to be trying to be "the guy" on the ice and plays with lots of energy.

He's worth 10m to CBJ

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
IMHO, players like that should improve the team, lead it. I think this can be a challenge for the players.

Of course you are right, but talking was about if he is liking to be here. You have to remember he was drafted to Winnipeg and traded to Columbus, and reality is there is teams which will suit so much better for him.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Yes it such a joy to play with most skilled players in the league
He said today in interview he hopes that he plays in Columbus next year. Its about how the team spirit is not just about having the best roster i think.

Reactions: Marioesque

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think it's possible for Laine to price himself out of Columbus. I don't think Jarmo would have any problem opening up the vault for him. You he's showing signs of becoming an all around player and potentially some leadership. And all of this while he's still younger than Panarin when he came over to the NHL...and we were ready to hand the keys to the city over to Panarin. I think Jarmo is comfortable enough with Laine considering how long he's known him, that he would have no issue offering him a long term deal.

I didn’t mean it in a sense of us saying “we can’t pay him” rather than “we don’t want to pay him” at that money.

I just have a hard time believing jarmo would pony up 10+ million for Laine. He CAN do it, as evidence by Panarin and maybe even Bobrovsky’s contract offers, but WILL he? That’s where my questions come.

Anywhere from 8-9 million is a pretty easy call. Anything above that? It’s tougher.

Reactions: CBJx614

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
That magic double digit ceiling, so real you can almost see it!
"but what about the threads of OVERPAID"
"it's Nash all over again, he needs a center!"

I don't know what's going on in some people's head. Jarmo's is smart enough to know Laine is a unique talent. He did Werenski right and I'm pretty sure he would've taken Laine over PLD at the draft given a choice. Maybe since he didn't develop here people are defensive? Either way, we don't have Dumbass or Howson in charge anymore, Jarmo probably believes he can find Laine a center, through drafting or trading.

And I'm starting to believe he can do it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That magic double digit ceiling, so real you can almost see it!
"but what about the threads of OVERPAID"
"it's Nash all over again, he needs a center!"

I don't know what's going on in some people's head. Jarmo's is smart enough to know Laine is a unique talent. He did Werenski right and I'm pretty sure he would've taken Laine over PLD at the draft given a choice. Maybe since he didn't develop here people are defensive? Either way, we don't have Dumbass or Howson in charge anymore, Jarmo probably believes he can find Laine a center, through drafting or trading.

And I'm starting to believe he can do it.
Laine had great chemistry with Jenner. He doesn't need a great center. Btw where is written he would play better with better center than Boone?

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Laine had great chemistry with Jenner. He doesn't need a great center. Btw where is written he would play better with better center than Boone?
Not saying he will go from being a PPG to McDavid numbers. More in regards to the teams goal differential, creating space, PP etc. And if Laine and Jenner work, then put Bjorkstrand with a #1C? IDK, can never have enough #1C...I assume.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Not saying he will go from being a PPG to McDavid numbers. More in regards to the teams goal differential, creating space, PP etc. And if Laine and Jenner work, then put Bjorkstrand with a #1C? IDK, can never have enough #1C...I assume.
Boone plays in front of the net in PP, he's a master at it.
Of course it's good to have 1C. I'm just writing that Laine doesn't necessarily have to have him, as he has great chemistry with Jenner. Of course, it's possible to move Boone to wing and a center between them.

Reactions: Dumais

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad