Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
I was just coming here to post this. Great article. Love some of the quotes.
What struck me most was the comment from Scott Gordon about Bergeron's time in Providence during the 2005/05 lockout.

"Perhaps most impressively, Bergeron displayed zero sense of entitlement after a year of chartered flights and five-star hotels in the NHL."

Speaks volumes about character and being grounded. Entitlement sinks a ton of careers, not only in sports but in the real world as well.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
There is an error in the article though. Forgot to mention the mild (thank goodness) concussion he suffered during the clinching game with Philly in 2011 that caused him to miss the first few games against Tampa. I was so stressed at that game I couldn't enjoy the sweep or the handshake line, all I could think about was Bergy.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
What struck me most was the comment from Scott Gordon about Bergeron's time in Providence during the 2005/05 lockout.

"Perhaps most impressively, Bergeron displayed zero sense of entitlement after a year of chartered flights and five-star hotels in the NHL."

Speaks volumes about character and being grounded. Entitlement sinks a ton of careers, not only in sports but in the real world as well.
This one got to me:

Jones was suspended only two games — the hit would draw at least 20 today. Bergeron didn’t play another game for 11 months, giving him far too much time to mull scary possibilities. “I had a chance to go see him a number of times during that stretch when he was at home and recovering,” says Zdeno Chara, who’s been the Bruins captain since 2006. “I could see that he had strong doubt in his mind if he would ever be able to recover and play at the same level.”

Chara certainly saw evidence of an internal battle. “You could tell he was careful and very much [it was still] in his head to worry that [if he got] hit again, that would be it,” he says. “Credit to him that he was [eventually] able to really block that little worm in his head, that little voice telling him, ‘Hey, be careful, be careful.’ I mean, he was careful, but he was not shying away from it [and it didn’t] affect his game.”

When you hear about guys who are never able to recover from concussions, to see him do what he has done since the Jones hit is really pretty incredible.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I believe they announce the Selke finalists today... Does Bergy make the list? :popcorn:

(In my opinion, he should win again, but I'm a homer and have no facts with which to back up my opinion :sarcasm:)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I believe they announce the Selke finalists today... Does Bergy make the list? :popcorn:

(In my opinion, he should win again, but I'm a homer and have no facts with which to back up my opinion :sarcasm:)
They do but not sure what time.

Fingers crossed for Bergy. Flyers media are already going crazy about Couturier and saying how it will be a travesty if he doesn't get nominated.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
They do but not sure what time.

Fingers crossed for Bergy. Flyers media are already going crazy about Couturier and saying how it will be a travesty if he doesn't get nominated.
I have a feeling I'm going to need to avoid the main board and Twitter tonight, regardless of who the finalists are. The whining about all the trophies this year has been unbearable. But if I have to hear one more time about the Selke being a reputation award, I'll scream. And possibly throw things. :laugh:

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I have a feeling I'm going to need to avoid the main board and Twitter tonight, regardless of who the finalists are. The whining about all the trophies this year has been unbearable. But if I have to hear one more time about the Selke being a reputation award, I'll scream. And possibly throw things. :laugh:
I'm with you 100%.

Even with his absence, Bergy's numbers held up well.

We shall see

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

It's almost like he's good, or something.

Not that the stats from these games factor into the Selke voting, of course.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Glad he's still getting the recognition for an incredible year. I'll be surprised if he wins it after missing so much time. Such a shame. I think he had a real shot at MVP.

I think he's got a shot still, prior to his injury he was ranked 2nd in the hart trophy NHL mid season tracker if i recall correctly, and he came back and hit 63 points, definitely good enough to take another one home.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Glad he's still getting the recognition for an incredible year. I'll be surprised if he wins it after missing so much time. Such a shame. I think he had a real shot at MVP.
Friedman at least said he was his Hart winner until he got hurt. Stupid broken foot. :(

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Pet peeve.... Why do they sometimes call it the Selke "award"? It's a trophy!! They don't say defensemen win the Norris "award."

The things I will complain about... :laugh:

Reactions: Alicat

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Friedman at least said he was his Hart winner until he got hurt. Stupid broken foot. :(

He finished on a goal scoring pace of 38. Had a real shot at 40 with the way he and his line mates were playing. I said all year that I thought he needed to be around PPG to have a real shot at MVP. He finished 5th in voting in 2014 with 30-32-62 in 80 games.

Hopefully he follows up with the same level of play next year.

Reactions: BiGBear8

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I will be surprised if Bergeron wins it, actually. It'll be interesting to see who voted for whom this year, I am glad they are doing that.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
He finished on a goal scoring pace of 38. Had a real shot at 40 with the way he and his line mates were playing. I said all year that I thought he needed to be around PPG to have a real shot at MVP. He finished 5th in voting in 2014 with 30-32-62 in 80 games.

Hopefully he follows up with the same level of play next year.
Yep. Although to be honest, I'd be just as happy to see him win the fifth Selke as I would to see him win a Hart.

Mostly I'd just like to be able to watch him play for another ten years or so. :laugh:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
He’s just perfect.

I have to laugh at Lazarus. He’s a Blackhawks writer who goes out of his way to puff up Toews no matter what.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I really think he gets it despite the games lost.

Voters are gonna look at the Bruins success and defensive stats and say "ok, someone needs recognition for that"

there are no Hart finalists on the team
there are no Norris finalists on the team
there are no Vezina finalists on the team

Im thinking they give Bergeron the Selke because of that.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I really think he gets it despite the games lost.

Voters are gonna look at the Bruins success and defensive stats and say "ok, someone needs recognition for that"

there are no Hart finalists on the team
there are no Norris finalists on the team
there are no Vezina finalists on the team

Im thinking they give Bergeron the Selke because of that.
I wouldn't give the voters that much credit. Regardless of Bergeron deserving it, a lot of voters probably just look at it like, "Oh yeah, Bergeron has won 4 of those things, here's another vote."

To me, I think it's very obvious that Kopitar will win, even though I think Couturier would be waaaaaaaay more deserving.

I'm hoping for/would vote for this:

1. Bergeron
2. Couturier
3. Kopitar

But am expecting this:

1. Kopitar
2. Bergeron
3. Couturier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events