Speculation: Pat Maroon working on extension with Oilers

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You dont know that. It all depends on how Maroon is used this season. You and I both know that Last season had much more to do with McDavid than anything else.
Its an outlier.
You dont negotiate a value contract with an outlier being front and center at the negotiating table.

which so far in pre-season he's been playing with McDavid...just like last year because why would they break that pairing up?

so there's no reason to think he's going to stop playing on his line

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He will get 4 x 4 somewhere for sure. Even tho I think he is primarily a product of Mcdavid.

To any team he is worth at least 3 I think.

I kind of thought he was wanting to sign somewhere in the states to be closer to his kid? Between that and this being his payday contract I doubt the Oilers can keep him.

Id sign him at 2.5 per year for 8 years and keep him McDavids sidekick :sarcasm:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Tread VERY carefully Pete. I wouldn't go more than 3x3.5 for Patty, anything more than that and Chia is cementing his reputation as a poor cap manager. I love Maroon but this is not a player you go big on term with.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Issue is Chiarelli has now overpaid for Russell, Draisaitl and Lucic (each around 750K to 1mil). Chiarellis major issue in Boston was that he overpaid for vets and each overpay added up and put the team in a bad spot. Not unfair to say there is legit concern hes doing that here.

I dont think many Oiler fans would be upset at Chiarelli if he waited till end of this season to see what type of player Maroon is and talk contract after that. Ive seen many Oil fans say they are ok if Maroon walks because some team throws 4.5-5 mil per at him, thats just the reality of have McDavid/Draisaitl costing a ton.

Ill wait till the contract is signed, but IMO its fair to say anything over 3.5 mil is an overpay for Maroon at this point in time

Those 3 players are very debateable. We are a better team with those 3 in the lineup then without them.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
This non sense of Chia not being able to nogotiate is BS.

Same guy signed Klef, Letestu, kassian and Talbotto bargains.

Drai and McDavid are worth every Penny they got.

For Klef, if I remember correctly, the framework of his contract was already in place from negotiations when MacT was around. And there was a lot of risk there, he was unproven and dealt with injuries, thankfully, it's turned out in the team's favour thus far.

Letestu and Kassian are decent contracts for 4th line players, but I wouldn't necessarily call them bargains.

Talbot in hindsight has turned into a great deal, but when he signed he was still relatively unproven.

I find Chia is good at finding unproven, buy-low type of players that will blossom into valuable NHL players. But his track record around contract negotiations in signing proven NHL players is questionable.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
$3.5M AAV is reasonable but I could see him getting $4.5M AAV. Killorn got $4.45M, Kreider got $4.625M (both included RFA years), Abdelkader got $4.25M.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
For Klef, if I remember correctly, the framework of his contract was already in place from negotiations when MacT was around. And there was a lot of risk there, he was unproven and dealt with injuries, thankfully, it's turned out in the team's favour thus far.

Letestu and Kassian are decent contracts for 4th line players, but I wouldn't necessarily call them bargains.

Talbot in hindsight has turned into a great deal, but when he signed he was still relatively unproven.

I find Chia is good at finding unproven, buy-low type of players that will blossom into valuable NHL players. But his track record around contract negotiations in signing proven NHL players is questionable.

Proven NHL players compared to what other GM's? Sorry none, just fans that think they know the NHL game and business lol

Chia planning for 3 years ahead of you, it's alright if you don't understand that, I don't expect you to.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Proven NHL players compared to what other GM's? Sorry none, just fans that think they know the NHL game and business lol

Chia planning for 3 years ahead of you, it's alright if you don't understand that, I don't expect you to.

Thanks for the condescending comment.

Drai is a prime example of overpaying. There were no comparables in the market for what he was given.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Those 3 players are very debateable. We are a better team with those 3 in the lineup then without them.

From an incredibly short sighted view, yes we are. Hell we could sign Tanner Glass to a 5 year 4 million per contract and be a better team this year with him in the line up. We have the cap space to do so. These overpays havent costed us anything yet because weve had the cap space. Its like taking a $100,000 loan from the bank. For the first year you live like a king, then when the bank comes for the money, you realize how in trouble you are

Lets revisit as soon as next year when McDavids contract extension kicks in and we have several RFAs coming up for contract with next to no cap space to do so. Itll take the first cap casualty to have fans have backlash on these overpayments

I am more than happy with Lucic/Russel/Draisaitl on this team. Just each one has a slight overpay. I do not believe for a second that if Chiarelli played a bit of hardball with them and got them down by 500K each that theyd walk away.

I wonder which player lost to cap casualty will cause the fans the most anger- Benning? Nurse? Cagguila? Letetsu?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I wonder which player lost to cap casualty will cause the fans the most anger- Benning? Nurse? Cagguila? Letetsu?

My vote is Talbot... if we can't afford him and lose him down the road... that will hurt the most.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Drai is a prime example of overpaying. There were no comparables in the market for what he was given.

This to a T. Im not expecting Chiarelli to completely lowball and **** off Draisaitl. But dam Chiarelli just blew away all comparables for Draisaitls contract. Could have atleast got him to 8 or under 8.

Barkov is a top 3 pick, #1C, extremely proven and got 5.9. Tarasenko is a similar point producer, 7.5. Not to rehash the Draisaitl deal again, but it was an overpay. Im ok with this overpay because LD will be elite. But its a death by 1000 cuts. LD is slight overpay, Lucic is, Russell is, Maroon might be. Whos next?

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Tricky because you're asking him to play on the first line alongside the best player in the west. But he's really not that good, and is certainly a product of McDavid to some extent

4-5x$3.5M would be ideal.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Chiarelli is a very good GM but procuring value contracts doesnt appear to be one of his strengths.

"Maroon is one of four Oilers slated to hit unrestricted free agency next summer. According to CapFriendly, the Oilers currently have $60.7 million committed in salary for next season with another seven players facing restricted free agency. The salary cap currently sits at $75 million."

for those who say don't worry about contracts, and there have been a few,
that part of the tsn article scares me. (especially because what you just posted is so true.)

not a lot of wiggle room there for the team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I really don't understand this line of thinking. It's basically "worse players got cheaper contracts, so Drai is overpaid".

There's no comparable contracts because no comparable players have received similar contracts in this cap setting. Let's wait to see what Eichel, Laine, etc. get before criticizing Chia for something we know nothing about.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maroon to me is a guy that we should be able to move in the next couple of years just as long as he doesn't receive a NTC/NMC.

For me a lot depends on this season. We have a lot of guys pushing for spots, but what's going to happen if we take Maroon out and now these guys have to play above their head?

It's also not as simple as saying well anyone can play with McDavid so we shouldn't worry. Hall, Eberle and Yak all had issues playing with McDavid, so we really need results before we assume.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
My vote is Talbot... if we can't afford him and lose him down the road... that will hurt the most.

Aaah yes, Talbot is the clear winner here. Dude has 2 years left on his deal and will be one of the top goalies on the market. I see a small chance we can keep him the way we are spending

In 2 years, when McDavid, Draisaitl, etc are all at their statisical peaks, we could lose our top goalie who essentially is as important as McDavid for wins. We have 2/3 promising but not proven goalies to step up and replace him. If none can, our cup window slams shut

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
This to a T. Im not expecting Chiarelli to completely lowball and **** off Draisaitl. But dam Chiarelli just blew away all comparables for Draisaitls contract. Could have atleast got him to 8 or under 8.

Barkov is a top 3 pick, #1C, extremely proven and got 5.9. Tarasenko is a similar point producer, 7.5. Not to rehash the Draisaitl deal again, but it was an overpay. Im ok with this overpay because LD will be elite. But its a death by 1000 cuts. LD is slight overpay, Lucic is, Russell is, Maroon might be. Whos next?

Tarsenko was the best comparable I could find given the term and $ given, and we still paid a full $1.0M more.

And don't take this as me not not liking or "bashing" Draisaitl. I love the player. I just think we could've gotten him a bit lower rate.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
which so far in pre-season he's been playing with McDavid...just like last year because why would they break that pairing up?

so there's no reason to think he's going to stop playing on his line

There is every reason to think that the lines will change over the course of the season.
It is very dicey to lock in a non core player like Maroon long term after an outlier year...very dicey.

Especially when you look at the core players (like Talbot) coming up in the next couple of years.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
The number will be north of $4M guaranteed.

You can barely get a UFA third liner for $3M.

If that's the number, then trade Maroon after Christmas and get some value for him before he's gone. not worth it on this team with the cap constraints.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I really don't understand this line of thinking. It's basically "worse players got cheaper contracts, so Drai is overpaid".

There's no comparable contracts because no comparable players have received similar contracts in this cap setting. Let's wait to see what Eichel, Laine, etc. get before criticizing Chia for something we know nothing about.

Tarasenko and Gaudreau were the best comparables to utilize. Players with similar point totals, and coming off their ELC. Yet we paid more.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It would be smarter to let him play for a contract.. He will probably produce a lot less if he is signed to an extension. Keep him motivated.

as for a guess on numbers... 3yr 10M @ 3.33333333333333333333333333333M per

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Tarasenko and Gaudreau were the best point comparables to utilize. Players with similar point totals, and coming off their ELC. Yet we paid more.

would you trade Draisaitl for Tarasenko, much less Gaudreau?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The chances of Maroon scoring 27+ again are pretty slim, even if he's stapled to McDavid's side the entire season. It's not like he was playing with crap in Anaheim. He's a decent player but please don't pay him like a first line winger because he's really not one of those.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Then we end up on the flip side of this :laugh: LD is not as good as Laine or Eichel so ofcourse hell be paid less. If those guys come in at 8.5 or close, well know how screwed over Chiarelli got

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad