Speculation: Pat Maroon working on extension with Oilers

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Honestly, if he wants to stay and term, give him 7 years and $21M, He gets security of term, Oilers get a reasonable cap hit.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I would be shocked if Maroon gets 3m or less. Not with those numbers (plug or no plug)

Eaves just signed a contract this offseason for $3.1 X 3.

He score 32 goals and 51 points.

I would expect Maroon's contract to be about the same.

A guy like Maroon I wouldn't give anymore than 3 years to either.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Chia hasn't even signed a contract and posters on here are mad LOL... OMG some of you are never happy. Overpay - mad. Negotiate - mad. Don't negotiate - mad. Let him walk - mad. Wait - mad. Luckily posters on here sit at keyboards and couldn't be a GM for more than 2 mins.... Reality is that production costs money, and securing vets who score costs money. If he walks, who replaces him?? Winning teams PAY their contributing players, and Maroon was a BIG part of last years success. IF he rides McD's coat tails this year and pots 30, he'll ask for and get $6 Mil.... Then what? EVERY option is a risk, so I'll take the option that keeps solid players here.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Is he? How do you know that this is all about a value contract?

why else would he try to sign him now?

he's clearly going to play on McDavid's line...so seeing him score 25+ goals isn't that much of a stretch

if they leave it until the end of the year, the asking price will be even higher...like Draisaitl's was

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He's a nice complimentary player, but definitely not part of this core. I'm still uneasy about the big contracts Chia handed out this off-season, but atleast McDavid and Drai project to be core players to build around long term.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I think Chia is trying to figure out what the Maroon camp is thinking here. If they are way off, he will be traded at the deadline or before and we'll get some value for this asset. If it's close, we would rather keep him for a playoff run as he makes this team better. I think these early discussion benefit the team going forward.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hopefully Maroon doesn't look at Lucic as a comparable. I mean he did outplay and outfought Lucic.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
That's kind of risky doing it after his career year. 3 million would be fine. More than 3.5 is not good.

extension should be done only after about half a season, if not the end of season... the chances of maroon having as soon of a year again are pretty slim.... maroon isn't going to have a 15.2% shoot% again this year, at least that isn't very likely

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I think Chia is trying to figure out what the Maroon camp is thinking here. If they are way off, he will be traded at the deadline or before and we'll get some value for this asset. If it's close, we would rather keep him for a playoff run as he makes this team better. I think these early discussion benefit the team going forward.

I think either way, he's here until the end of the year. We're looking to make a playoff run, so I don't see us selling pending UFA's.

To be honest, I thought he'd be looking to find a spot closer to his son.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It's worth at least starting the discussion, we can lock him in around 3 million and he has another big year this season the deal will look good. He and McDavid have good chemistry lets let our Crosby keep his Kunitz

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Chia hasn't even signed a contract and posters on here are mad LOL... OMG some of you are never happy. Overpay - mad. Negotiate - mad. Don't negotiate - mad. Let him walk - mad. Wait - mad. Luckily posters on here sit at keyboards and couldn't be a GM for more than 2 mins.... Reality is that production costs money, and securing vets who score costs money. If he walks, who replaces him?? Winning teams PAY their contributing players, and Maroon was a BIG part of last years success. IF he rides McD's coat tails this year and pots 30, he'll ask for and get $6 Mil.... Then what? EVERY option is a risk, so I'll take the option that keeps solid players here.

exactly

risky signing him now and just as risky waiting until the end of the season should he score like he did last year

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Eaves just signed a contract this offseason for $3.1 X 3.

He score 32 goals and 51 points.

I would expect Maroon's contract to be about the same.

A guy like Maroon I wouldn't give anymore than 3 years to either.

Very good comparable.

3x3 would be perfect

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Hopefully Maroon doesn't look at Lucic as a comparable. I mean he did outplay and outfought Lucic.

Hopefully not, and I mean, Maroon's best season this past year was 42 points. Lucic is consistently a 50+ point player, with season above 60. They really aren't comparables.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I can understand some people's concerns over the price and being careful not to overpay for Maroon... but I'm surprised at some people's comments saying Maroon is a plug, etc. He's given just as much or more to this team than Lucic has. Maroon scores, hits, fights, sticks up for his teammates and is a huge part of why this team is tough to play against. If he can replicate last season, I"m pretty confident that some team would be willing to pay him more than ~3.0 million per year on the free market.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
why else would he try to sign him now?

he's clearly going to play on McDavid's line...so seeing him score 25+ goals isn't that much of a stretch

if they leave it until the end of the year, the asking price will be even higher...like Draisaitl's was

You dont know that. It all depends on how Maroon is used this season. You and I both know that Last season had much more to do with McDavid than anything else.
Its an outlier.
You dont negotiate a value contract with an outlier being front and center at the negotiating table.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
This non sense of Chia not being able to nogotiate is BS.

Same guy signed Klef, Letestu, kassian and Talbotto bargains.

Drai and McDavid are worth every Penny they got.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
This non sense of Chia not being able to nogotiate is BS.

Same guy signed Klef, Letestu, kassian and Talbotto bargains.

Drai and McDavid are worth every Penny they got.

I agree with you. Our highest paid bottom 6er is Kassian at $1.95.

Treliving gave Troy Brouwer a 5 year $4.5 million albatross contract just last summer.

Brouwer is half the player Maroon is.

If Chia gets Maroon to sign for less than $3 million, that is one helluva bargain. Almost criminal, given how much Maroon would be leaving on the table.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Issue is Chiarelli has now overpaid for Russell, Draisaitl and Lucic (each around 750K to 1mil). Chiarellis major issue in Boston was that he overpaid for vets and each overpay added up and put the team in a bad spot. Not unfair to say there is legit concern hes doing that here.

I dont think many Oiler fans would be upset at Chiarelli if he waited till end of this season to see what type of player Maroon is and talk contract after that. Ive seen many Oil fans say they are ok if Maroon walks because some team throws 4.5-5 mil per at him, thats just the reality of have McDavid/Draisaitl costing a ton.

Ill wait till the contract is signed, but IMO its fair to say anything over 3.5 mil is an overpay for Maroon at this point in time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad