Confirmed with Link: Pat Maroon to NJ for 2019 3rd and J. D. Dudek

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
One thing that sometimes annoys me at deadline time is when trading for a player from a Canadian based team, it took sometimes a week for the player to get to the team because of visa issues. No matter what country they are citizens of. I remember it happened to the Sharks with James Reimer a couple years ago and Jannik Hansen last year. Both played on Canadian teams.

I’m assuming this won’t happen with Maroon because the Oilers were in San Jose, and we’ll be seeing him tomorrow night, unless he can’t get a flight out until tomorrow and they won’t play him after flying all day. If that’s the case, they might just send him straight to Fort Lauderdale.

Apparently that's happening with Brassard now. And Shero (I think) already said it would be iffy that Maroon would be in the lineup tomorrow cause of the long flight.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He is going to get to Pitt tomorrow, but he might not play because it is a lot of travel.
That’s what I figured.

He probably has to fly out of San Francisco too, since I don’t even think they have a nonstop flight out of San Jose to Pittsburgh.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Apparently that's happening with Brassard now. And Shero (I think) already said it would be iffy that Maroon would be in the lineup tomorrow cause of the long flight.

4 games tues-sunday

totally ok with a thursday debut.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Maroon and Grabner on the same line makes sense. Play style I think it works and that way you don’t have two lines with players just learning our system.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I don’t think the goal is to contend, but to make and be competitive in the playoffs.

Shero doesn’t want us to be a cake walk for some other team.

With how physical the playoffs become, this team is going to get beat up without some more "grit" at the bottom of the lineup

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Maroon and Grabner on the same line makes sense. Play style I think it works and that way you don’t have two lines with players just learning our system.

Should be really interesting to see how the lines shake out. When and if Johansson comes back, it's even harder to predict. We might not have the top end talent, but we should be able to roll four quality lines that could compete with any team in the league.

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Maroon - Zacha - Johansson
Grabner - Zajac - Noesen
Wood - Boyle - Gibbons
Bratt - Coleman - Stafford

And Hayes as the cheerleader.

Reactions: devsfan4life

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
One thing that sometimes annoys me at deadline time is when trading for a player from a Canadian based team, it took sometimes a week for the player to get to the team because of visa issues. No matter what country they are citizens of. I remember it happened to the Sharks with James Reimer a couple years ago and Jannik Hansen last year. Both played on Canadian teams.

I’m assuming this won’t happen with Maroon because the Oilers were in San Jose, and we’ll be seeing him tomorrow night, unless he can’t get a flight out until tomorrow and they won’t play him after flying all day. If that’s the case, they might just send him straight to Fort Lauderdale.

He is also American. So he wont have a problem.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
With how physical the playoffs become, this team is going to get beat up without some more "grit" at the bottom of the lineup

The only team that we would have to worry about doing that are the Capitals.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don’t think the goal is to contend, but to make and be competitive in the playoffs.

If that was Shero’s goal, he’s done well. Grabner is a pain in the ass to play against, always a breakaway threat. Maroon has proven playoff success and is instantly one of our most physical and strongest forwards. Regardless of who we play (if we get in), if Hall brings his A+ game, he can steal a game.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I don't think there is any expectations beyond the playoffs honestly, but after adding Grabner/Maroon, there isn't much separating us from the other teams in the Metro.

At this point, I'd say either Pittsburgh or whoever gets hot in April will make it out of the Metro.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
That's true. Just making the playoffs again after a full rebuild will be an achievement. I wonder how much of this is geared at keeping Hall happy.
I think that's a part of it, as well as ownership gunning for the post season. Especially when teams like NYI and NYR might not make it.

I do think the absolute number one reason is giving players like Butcher, Nico, Pavel and Bratt playoff experience before they are even allowed to legally drink.

That's the real kicker here. I would've done just about anything to have these guys taste what post season hockey is like in their first and second years.

Even if we don't get passed the first round, what an experience. It will only make them hungry for morez

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Just watched it. It's the interview Gross, Amanda, etc. were quoting how he was excited when he heard NJ and how he knows players here.
how come you can watch it but I cant. it says "sorry this video isnt available to view in your area" I'm in NJ ???
it figures TSN uses a negative headline for the video

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Unfortunately, I think this is more evidence that Johansson will be sidelined for the rest of the regular season (at least). Just my speculation, but I don't think Shero would've spent (even what little he did) on a pure rental LW if MoJo were even remotely close to returning.

That said, I like what we have:

Hall - Hischer - Palmieri
Wood - Zacha - Bratt/Grabner
Maroon - Zajac - Grabner/Bratt
Coleman - Boyle - Noesen
Gibbons

No Stafford or Hayes, and I ****ing love it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think that's a part of it, as well as ownership gunning for the post season. Especially when teams like NYI and NYR might not make it.

I do think the absolute number one reason is giving players like Butcher, Nico, Pavel and Bratt playoff experience before they are even allowed to legally drink.

That's the real kicker here. I would've done just about anything to have these guys taste what post season hockey is like in their first and second years.

Even if we don't get passed the first round, what an experience. It will only make them hungry for morez

Also Hall and Cory. Hall has zero playoff experience and Cory’s is quite limited.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm surprised to see us buying so much at the deadline when we're running just ahead of the playoff bubble. We're not in win now mode yet, and I would have thought we'd keep the powder dry until next year. But this trade is good value, even if Maroon only ends up being a rental.

At the end of the day Shero took a calculated risk on Rykov to NYR. The other pieces aren’t anything irreplaceable. The team has logged a ton of picks the last couple of seasons so this was as good a time as any to make some modest moves to give the team a burst of enthusiasm down the stretch. Maybe one of the rentals has success and re-signs. If not it’s not a big setback.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Shero mentioning how he has time to get the pick back so say he will be looking to liquidize excess assets for picks when and where he can.

That or package those late rounders up for 2nds and 3rds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad