GDT: Part II: The 2015 NHL Entry Level Draft: In L̶o̶u̶ Shero We Trust Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's a terrible draft simply because we did not do our job. There were players there for the taking who fit what we need and what will thought we were trying to do, but ee failed.

Listen, Blackwood is a I'm sure a good goalie a decent prospect. But he was not the right pick for us at that moment. I just don't get it.

It was a terrible choice once again by a group that has done a very poor job drafting for a long time now.

We added young, fast, skilled forwards. Exactly what we needed. We weren't drafting 6 forwards. It was never happening.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
It's a terrible draft simply because we did not do our job. There were players there for the taking who fit what we need and what will thought we were trying to do, but ee failed.

Listen, Blackwood is a I'm sure a good goalie a decent prospect. But he was not the right pick for us at that moment. I just don't get it.

It was a terrible choice once again by a group that has done a very poor job drafting for a long time now.

Completely agree, too many quality forwards still left and they take a goalie. I can't wait until Conte is gone.

Anything on the Rychel pursuit?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Blandisi and Kalinin have to be considered when looking at our draft as a whole. We are starved for offense and added Zacha, Speers, Blandisi, and Kalinin who all have as good a shot as any of the players drafted do.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
People are rightly peeved about taking a goalie at 42, but try not to let that color your analysis of the rest of the draft.

All the other picks were solid. It would have looked better with a great second round forward in place of the tender, but all considered it was a solid weekend. And you can't evaluate the draft without including Palmieri.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Like what Shero did this draft. Palmieri trade was very good and there seems to be a strong focus on speed as well as a BPA philosophy. It will be a few years before we can know how the picks will pan out, but overall, I'm pleased with Shero's work at this draft.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Blandisi and Kalinin have to be considered when looking at our draft as a whole. We are starved for offense and added Zacha, Speers, Blandisi, and Kalinin who all have as good a shot as any of the players drafted do.

Then add Kyle. So that is 5 young forwards with upside and mostly speed (don't think Kalinin is fast but not sure).

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Colton White is all upside by the sound of it.

What does that even mean - he hasn't shown much offensive ability yet, but he might in the future, and can play good D? Garland just showed, by production in the Q this year, that he should have been chosen early last year. His production was on par with other draft+1 players who got drafted early last year like Ehlers and Barbashev. Could have some offensive skill (White) vs does have a lot of offensive skill (Garland)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
People are rightly peeved about taking a goalie at 42, but try not to let that color your analysis of the rest of the draft.

All the other picks were solid. It would have looked better with a great second round forward in place of the tender, but all considered it was a solid weekend. And you can't evaluate the draft without including Palmieri.

I don't agree with it, but I can at least understand not liking the goalie pick for some.

I totally agree with you that it shouldn't color the rest of the draft because I think we did well with every pick, and the Palmieri trade was a great trade.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What does that even mean - he hasn't shown much offensive ability yet, but he might in the future, and can play good D? Garland just showed, by production in the Q this year, that he should have been chosen early last year. His production was on par with other draft+1 players who got drafted early last year like Ehlers and Barbashev. Could have some offensive skill (White) vs does have a lot of offensive skill (Garland)

If Garland was so good, why did he get passed over last year and last till the fifth (sixth?) round this year?

Past the second round, it's all subjective. All I want to see is the Devils draft guys with tools and upside. Whether the guy lit up the league, or he should the tools to be able to, that's what I want to see. They pick the players for more reasons than just points. It's clear Shero put a lot of emphasis on skating this draft.

I feel like the Devils have done that so I'm happy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The draft, the trade, combined with the signings by Lou/Shero shows us adding as many forwards as we could without sacrificing needs in other areas of the team.

We didn't lose any of our NHL kids.

I think we did what we set out and needed to do.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

You're harping about a midget overager? Come on man.

White is a great skater and by all accounts, yes, he does have a lot of room to grow his offensive game as his role expands. You can wish we picked Garland without hacking down the guys we picked. Speers, White, and Seney (and Zacha for that matter) were all picks with upside in mind.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
If Garland was so good, why did he get passed over last year and last till the fifth (sixth?) round this year?

Past the second round, it's all subjective. All I want to see is the Devils draft guys with tools and upside. Whether the guy lit up the league, or he should the tools to be able to, that's what I want to see. They pick the players for more reasons than just points. It's clear Shero put a lot of emphasis on skating this draft.

I feel like the Devils have done that so I'm happy.

Same reason Crouse was ranked in the top 5 for so much of this year - dinosaur-aged thought process of size, size, size. Same reason Gaudreau went in the 4th, same reason Johnson was not drafted in any of his draft eligible years.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
You're harping about a midget overager? Come on man.

White is a great skater and by all accounts, yes, he does have a lot of room to grow his offensive game as his role expands. You can wish we picked Garland without hacking down the guys we picked. Speers, White, and Seney (and Zacha for that matter) were all picks with upside in mind.

You mean the guy that just lead the Q in scoring and was named league MVP...when our #1 priority should be offensive skill? Absolutely.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
For years people were complaining about us not taking a goalie in the drafts. Then we went and took two in Cleremont and Wedgewood. I rather we pick a good one now when a good one is available then draft it as a need and get iffy prospects. We could have gotten Brandan Gallagher in that draft instead.

Last edited:

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
I wouldn't look at Colton White to become some offensive juggernaut. His numbers look good, but he also played for the second best team in the entire league.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If we needed proof we love to complain. All the consensus good picks have almost no posts. Including Zacha's thread, but Blackwood's thread. Going to fill that by the end of the weekend. :laugh:

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
I love how Conte gets blamed for the goalie pick but Ray-Ray gets love for the ones people like.

I hate the goalie pick but Ray gets the blame (or the credit). Not Lou and not Conte. He's the GM.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I wouldn't look at Colton White to become some offensive juggernaut. His numbers look good, but he also played for the second best team in the entire league.

It sounds like he didn't get ice time because the team was so good.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
@TGfireandice
Ray Shero said Devils will not try to re-sign Gomez, Bernier, Fraser, Harrold

Not sure why we would get rid of Gomez. He wasn't half bad last season. Everyone else can take a swim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad