GDT: Part II: The 2015 NHL Entry Level Draft: In L̶o̶u̶ Shero We Trust Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Exactly what we failed to do. One of the most risky players in the 1st round (though I'm behind the pick on that one), and safe players in the late rounds. Brilliance.

All I'm reading is the Devils took risky players with upside for basically every pick.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
and better draft picks, nothing new there. Let's wait and see what they do until we hail them geniuses.

no I was just saying compared to the Maple Leafs of old where they took Gauthier and Bigg in the first round to what they are doing is probably a welcomed philosophical change.

GhostofKenKlee

I just love the passion in the snubbing of a 7th rounder. amazing...

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
I rate it a C. The only reason it's that high is because of the Palmieri deal.

Zacha was fine, but the pick was based on need...not BPA.

We had a better set of picks to do what the Isles did for the 28th pick. With Anthony Beauvillier and Nick Merkley still on the board, we decide to hold our picks and use them on a goalie and a 3rd round defenseman...

I would have preferred to walk away with 2 forwards with first round talent.

Free Agency is weak this year so I don't see much room for improvement. I'm fine with this being a wasted year, but our prospect pool isn't loaded with developing talent and we did a poor job of stocking up.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Exactly what we failed to do. One of the most risky players in the 1st round (though I'm behind the pick on that one), and safe players in the late rounds. Brilliance.

I just did not like the Blackwood and Seney's selections. White is a late bloomer and Speers is pretty good and a speed demon.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I rate it a C. The only reason it's that high is because of the Palmieri deal.

Zacha was fine, but the pick was based on need...not BPA.

We had a better set of picks to do what the Isles did for the 28th pick. With Anthony Beauvillier and Nick Merkley still on the board, we decide to hold our picks and use them on a goalie and a 3rd round defenseman...

I would have preferred to walk away with 2 forwards with first round talent.

Free Agency is weak this year so I don't see much room for improvement. I'm fine with this being a wasted year, but our prospect pool isn't loaded with developing talent and we did a poor job of stocking up.

theres no argument to be made that Zacha wasn't BPA at 6, sorry. don't wanna hear it.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
All I'm reading is the Devils took risky players with upside for basically every pick.

"A defensive defenseman who many believe has untapped offensive potential". Re: Colton White. I consider that to be as safe of a pick as you can possibly get.

"A solid two way winger...elite speed...does all the little things to succeed" http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2015/6/27/8855929/new-jersey-devils-select-blake-speers-at-67th-overall ...again, not seeing much risk. Though I don't really hate this pick like I hate the goalie and the defenseman picks.

GhostofKenKlee

no I was just saying compared to the Maple Leafs of old where they took Gauthier and Bigg in the first round to what they are doing is probably a welcomed philosophical change.

They took Marner at fourth. You are comparing top five picks to 20-30th. overall. Totally reaches on your part.

Not a good comparison or a harbinger of a change, they took Nylander last year. Taken Kadri as well Schenn when they have had high picks.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I just love the passion in the snubbing of a 7th rounder. amazing...

who's really complaining? I'm not, Korostelev was on the same line as Zacha so they obviously have good knowledge on him. If they passed on him they passed on him, it's hard to predict 2nd rounders let alone guys in the way late rounds. I'm just glad that the Devils didn't go after the Brandon Baddock types in this draft.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Outside of the goalie we took forwards with speed and offensive upside, and a LHD that potentially could be a steal because he was hidden on a stacked team.

From what I have read, Blackwood is also a pretty good skater and can handle the puck. So maybe he has an offensive upside too LOL.

Looks like another Marty in the works. Was a forward who switched over to a goalie late.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
theres no argument to be made that Zacha wasn't BPA at 6, sorry. don't wanna hear it.

I think the argument could be made that Provorov was BPA, but it's so close it doesn't matter. There was definitely no forward available at #6 that was better.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
"A defensive defenseman who many believe has untapped offensive potential". Re: Colton White. I consider that to be as safe of a pick as you can possibly get.

"A solid two way winger...elite speed...does all the little things to succeed" http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2015/6/27/8855929/new-jersey-devils-select-blake-speers-at-67th-overall ...again, not seeing much risk. Though I don't really hate this pick like I hate the goalie and the defenseman picks.

They were both having smaller roles on a good team. Keep reading and see people who think their numbers may jump now that the overagers will be gone.

That's risk and upside, not safety. No player is actually a safe pick anyway, but both these guys may have hidden offensive numbers due to their team.

GhostofKenKlee

I agree with this. I would loved if someone dropped into their lap. But they got the very best they could at the spot for what they needed.

I can take hearing about the goalie and dropping back. But now some folks are just chest puffing. Shero even said he could traded with Columbus and he would of seen Zacha possibly drop to Philly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad