GDT: Part II: The 2015 NHL Entry Level Draft: In L̶o̶u̶ Shero We Trust Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
They took Marner at fourth. You are comparing top five picks to 20-30th. overall. Totally reaches on your part.

Not a good comparison or a harbinger of a change, they took Nylander last year. Taken Kadri as well Schenn when they have had high picks.

Yeah they took Luke Schenn number 5, do you see their new managment doing that? I'm talking about their later picks too dude. Even if they don't pan out I'm sure Leafs are going in with a better thought process. Nylander was under Shanahan too.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I think the argument could be made that Provorov was BPA, but it's so close it doesn't matter. There was definitely no forward available at #6 that was better.

I would have been happy if we had gotten Provolov, if anything just so the Flyers didn't get him but we needed a guy like Zacha so I'm glad we got him. Provolov might have been the safer pick though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I rate it a C. The only reason it's that high is because of the Palmieri deal.

Zacha was fine, but the pick was based on need...not BPA.

We had a better set of picks to do what the Isles did for the 28th pick. With Anthony Beauvillier and Nick Merkley still on the board, we decide to hold our picks and use them on a goalie and a 3rd round defenseman...

I would have preferred to walk away with 2 forwards with first round talent.

Free Agency is weak this year so I don't see much room for improvement. I'm fine with this being a wasted year, but our prospect pool isn't loaded with developing talent and we did a poor job of stocking up.

Shero flat out admitted he tried to trade up into the 1st again and couldn't get a deal done. So he traded for Kyle.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Shero flat out admitted he tried to trade up into the 1st again and couldn't get a deal done. So he traded for Kyle.

Sounded like he could have gotten into the first round but had to choose between jumping into the first and chose Palmieri instead.

GhostofKenKlee

Yeah they took Luke Schenn number 5, do you see their new managment doing that? I'm talking about their later picks too dude. Even if they don't pan out I'm sure Leafs are going in with a better thought process.

Luke Schenn was highly touted. I don't care how teams fare drafting top five. That's all something we can do here.

As far as how good/great the GM or the situation, I'm probably a bit older than you and remember the talk of the next regime being superior to the previous one. From Fletcher and others to Burke to Nonis and now the Shanahan regime.

I'll take a wait and see to it all, I just disagree about how smart their front office is at this point.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We had a better set of picks to do what the Isles did for the 28th pick. With Anthony Beauvillier and Nick Merkley still on the board, we decide to hold our picks and use them on a goalie and a 3rd round defenseman...

They did practically that trade for Palmeri

Isles flip 33 and 72 (third this year) for 28
We flip 41 and a third next year for Palmeri

And the defenseman was picked in the fourth round, we got another forward with offensive upside in the third.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Luke Schenn was highly touted. I don't care how teams fare drafting top five. That's all something we can do here.

As far as how good/great the GM or the situation, I'm probably a bit older than you and remember the talk of the next regime being superior to the previous one. From Fletcher and others to Burke to Nonis and now the Shanahan regime.

I'll take a wait and see to it all, I just disagree about how smart their front office is at this point.

That's fair, wait and see.

GhostofKenKlee

That's fair, wait and see.

I will say this, Shanahan is a winner and Hunter seems to have a good grasp of what's happening in the OHL. The knock on Toronto in the past led by Don Cherry was how the "local" boys where not getting love in Toronto. At one point, Burke had Toronto looking like team USA.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They did practically that trade for Palmeri

Isles flip 33 and 72 (third this year) for 28
We flip 41 and a third next year for Palmeri

And the defenseman was picked in the fourth round, we got another forward with offensive upside in the third.

And I like the forward we took in the third.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
They were both having smaller roles on a good team. Keep reading and see people who think their numbers may jump now that the overagers will be gone.

That's risk and upside, not safety. No player is actually a safe pick anyway, but both these guys may have hidden offensive numbers due to their team.

I don't see any risk in that, outside of the standard chance that you take on all drafted players...because you don't know where they'll be in 3 years. But taking a player who currently "does all the right things", but doesn't put up offense, in the hopes that he "might" be able to put up good numbers later on is not actual risk. It's a regular pick. Taking a player with elite skill with the puck and vision/creativity, but other holes in his game (a player who is either a top 6 player or not in the league) is an actual risk. And that's what should be done in later rounds for a team that's #1 need BY FAR is top 6 forwards.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't see any risk in that, outside of the standard chance that you take on all drafted players...because you don't know where they'll be in 3 years. But taking a player who currently "does all the right things", but doesn't put up offense, in the hopes that he "might" be able to put up good numbers later on is not actual risk. It's a regular pick. Taking a player with elite skill with the puck and vision/creativity, but other holes in his game (a player who is either a top 6 player or not in the league) is an actual risk. And that's what should be done in later rounds for a team that's #1 need BY FAR is top 6 forwards.

Who are you talking about? Speers was over a PPG this year in the OHL.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

You're just wanting a different type of risk taken. The 2 guys you listed have offensive tools but not numbers, you want offensive tools with numbers. Neither type of guy is more or less likely to be an offensive impact player at the NHL level.

Neither of these 2 players was taken to fill a defensive role, they were taken because of potential offensive ability. At least that's how I read things.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
The last few years there was always wasted pick on a tough guy who can't score. This year we go all speed and skill and people still complain? lol And the goalie has a lot of potential too.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
It's a terrible draft simply because we did not do our job. There were players there for the taking who fit what we need and what will thought we were trying to do, but ee failed.

Listen, Blackwood is a I'm sure a good goalie a decent prospect. But he was not the right pick for us at that moment. I just don't get it.

It was a terrible choice once again by a group that has done a very poor job drafting for a long time now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's a terrible draft simply because we did not do our job. There were players there for the taking who fit what we need and what will thought we were trying to do, but ee failed.

Listen, Blackwood is a I'm sure a good goalie a decent prospect. But he was not the right pick for us at that moment. I just don't get it.

It was a terrible choice once again by a group that has done a very poor job drafting for a long time now.

We literally drafted/traded for three forwards with speed and upside in the top 67 picks including one NHL player. They got plenty that fit what they needed, as much as they were going to with only six picks at least.

It's really amazing how some of the same people (not you neccesarily) who were BPA at all costs with the #6 pick are so up in arms over BPA with the #42 pick.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The last few years there was always wasted pick on a tough guy who can't score. This year we go all speed and skill and people still complain? lol And the goalie has a lot of potential too.

That is what I don't get. I feel like mostly they did exactly what the majority have been WANTING the team to draft.

We drafted/traded for forwards with speed who can score and HAVE scored.

We added three forwards with 6 picks. Did people really think we were going to draft ALL forwards? (because that was never happening).

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Who are you talking about? Speers was over a PPG this year in the OHL.

The 3rd rounder I'm ok with. Seems like a potential 2nd line guy, and could turn into something more.

The goalie in the 2nd put my on edge, and the ****ing safe defenseman in the 4th when Garland was still available pissed me the **** off. I haven't been this pissed over a pick since Tedenby over Carlson.

I'm cautious but happy with Zacha, Speers could turn into a good pick, and I like getting Palmieri. But with the other bull**** in this draft, I consider it a giant missed opportunity.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The 3rd rounder I'm ok with. Seems like a potential 2nd line guy, and could turn into something more.

The goalie in the 2nd put my on edge, and the ****ing safe defenseman in the 4th when Garland was still available pissed me the **** off. I haven't been this pissed over a pick since Tedenby over Carlson.

I'm cautious but happy with Zacha, Speers could turn into a good pick, and I like getting Palmieri. But with the other bull**** in this draft, I consider it a giant missed opportunity.

Colton White is all upside by the sound of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad