Parise for Pouliot, Jacques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Asiaoil said:
I was pouting about not drafting Getzlaf at the start of the year when Pouliot was injured again. However, Getzlaf had 54 points in 51 games as a 19 year old - and that is just plain mediocre. Pouliot (who has finally proven he can stay healthy) had 113 points this year versus an uninspired Gezlaf with 54. I'm not complaining anymore. It's not like Getzlaf plays on a crap team or anything either.

Getzlaf has been HUGE in the WHL playoffs. He was also huge in the World Juniors. Looks to be a money player with size and attitude. Imagine what Getzlaf would do with 'the next one' Crosby as his centreman. While not impressed with his poor and somewhat hampered season, I think Getzlaf has shown up when it counts.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
dawgbone said:
I suggest you go and take a look at some of Igor's threads... then come bak and comment on who is wrong.

Being an engineer I am always interested in more data...........

In the case of this thread so many people have quoted, there is absolutely no information there.

One thing in that thread that was very revealing is that, according to Igors magic invisible formula, the only player who "played softer minutes" was Pascal Rheaume and whoever wore 24 before Gionta.......

So how can 50% of your centers, arguably your Top two centers BOTH be playing "soft minutes". This is completely illogical, does this mean Ivan Khomutov is playing all the "hard minutes".....Silly, Silly, Silly!

PASCAL IS A SHUTDOWN CENTER!!!! HE WAS ON A STANELY CUP WINNING TEAM!!!!!!! WTH is this guy talking about???

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Asiaoil said:
Say what??????

All the Oilers fans (me included) have said they like Parise and compare him to one of our favorite players - Mike York. For the 100th time - the Oilers made the trade because we already have a similar player on our roster and we need more size. Plus we had Comrie then so the situation was even more acute. The only thing any of us have taken exception to (and these people are not all Oiler fans) is the total "rose colored glasses" hyping of Parise by people calling him a combination of Cris Draper (shut down center) and Joe Sakic (elite scoring first line center). Both of those things are simply not true and are easily proven using objective measures of his performance on the ice.

You know, nobody in this thread (unless I missed it) compares him to Joe Sakic except you guys who continuely say people do. Who are these people and in what posts have they done this??? Watch, it's probably just one person if anybody at all but you're going to post suggesting it's all Devils fans, why is that?

EDIT: I found who made the first suggestion that people are comparing him to Sakic. ;)

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2714509&postcount=65

Asiaoil said:
Some of us are more interested in prospect development and how to analyze that - and the Parise hype has given us a nice case to try explain our way of doing this. If your're not interested in that and just want to be a passionate fan - so be it and good luck to ya.

So if the oilers never traded away the chance to draft Parise and kept him you guys would not be doing handstands over him instead of trying to discredit him as a top prospect which seems to be some of you guys aim? Yeaaah okay....

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
dawgbone said:
Jason MacIsaac

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2634622&postcount=33

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2636054&postcount=44

There he claimed Parise was the shutdown centre for the Rats. While he may not be poor defensively, he certainly isn't good defensively... average defensively may be a better moniker for him.
If Zach Parise knew he wasn't going to make it as an offensive center I am willing to bet money he could focus all his attention on defense and become a shutdown center, the guy is a brilliant student of the game and understands what he must do to become a defensive center. He is allready a great PK'er, the difference in his game now and in the future would be that Parise would take no chances offensivly and instead of trying to get away from the other teams center, stick to him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
paxtang said:
I don't think it's hard to sepearte a fan like Jason and other Devil's fans. I mean, Ahonen IS > than Niittymaki.

From my little experience with Parise this year agains the Phantoms, he's good defensivly. But I also see the argument that his size will be a hinderance in the defensive zone, just like the rest of the Devil's size was a problem against a the Flyers last year in the playoffs. Too many players on the smaller side is a problem, and I think the Devil's need to look at that. I like Parise a lot; I don't like Parise on the Devils.

But I also think that Parise's play this year has been better than the statistal studies done by Oiler's fans. For one thing, the AHL is a different league this year than other years. Not only are there better players, but there is a continuity with a lot of teams and their line ups that hasn't been there. I don't think you can compare stat projections from previous years and this year. I also think that while Parise coudl have had a better season and a lot of the blame for that is on himself, I don't think you can look past his teammates. I don't hvae the statistcal studies, I just have anecdotal evidence which really isn't evidence, but it seemed to me that a lot of Parise's goals against were scored while he played with Suglabov, who sucks on defense. Most of the Rats' problems have been with an inept defense, an eratic Ahonen, and young forwards not used to the NA game. The players that have been a success on both ends of the ice have been the vets they have on the team like McAmmand and Rheaume.

I think that if Parise had been on a better team, he probably would have been aroudn 70 poinds and he would have been a plus player. I think he's a good playmaker that should be a second liner. I think he isn't a great finisher. I think his size won't stop him from being a good NHLer, but it will force NJ to find some sort of physical force to counter act his, Gomez and Madden's size. I think he's good defensivly. I think he has some intangibles that have made previous players on NJ champions. But he isn't a shutdown guy, and he isn't a first liner. Which is what pretty much most NJ fans say about him.
In the past 3 weeks Ahonen > then everyone. Funny what a superstar AHL'er and an NHL quality defensmen can do for a teams defense. Now let him sit behind one of the top end teams defense like Philly and we will see what happens.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I mentioned Sakic only in Height and Weight............I never compared Parise playing ability to Sakic......And if you scour these boards, You will not find me making any prediction on Parise's future......

I only object to the idea that because Parise is 5'11 - 185 he is limited in some way. My point in bringing up names like Yzerman, Sakic, and Doug Gilmour is that they were able to be dominate centers at virtually the same size as Parise.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Asiaoil said:
I was pouting about not drafting Getzlaf at the start of the year when Pouliot was injured again. However, Getzlaf had 54 points in 51 games as a 19 year old - and that is just plain mediocre. Pouliot (who has finally proven he can stay healthy) had 113 points this year versus an uninspired Gezlaf with 54. I'm not complaining anymore. It's not like Getzlaf plays on a crap team or anything either.
So I guess Liam Reddox is the best of them all since you clearly go by stats, Liam Reddox is clearly better then Travis Zajac because Zajac plays weak minutes, is actually 5`9 and can't put the stats up that Reddox has in the CHL. I suggest you draft Yellowhorn this year over O'Marra or Brule.

You and your posse are amusing now.

PS: Parise was if anything only an inche smaller then Brown at the allstar game so I guess Brown for LA is only 5`10 instead of the 6`0 he is listed.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
JimEIV said:
Being an engineer I am always interested in more data...........

In the case of this thread so many people have quoted, there is absolutely no information there.

One thing in that thread that was very revealing is that, according to Igors magic invisible formula, the only player who "played softer minutes" was Pascal Rheaume and whoever wore 24 before Gionta.......

So how can 50% of your centers, arguably your Top two centers BOTH be playing "soft minutes". This is completely illogical, does this mean Ivan Khomutov is playing all the "hard minutes".....Silly, Silly, Silly!

PASCAL IS A SHUTDOWN CENTER!!!! HE WAS ON A STANELY CUP WINNING TEAM!!!!!!! WTH is this guy talking about???
Thats what I was wondering, Rheaume and Parise are playing the softest minutes? Khomutov is our shutdown guy I guess :)

I want to see these numbers, I plen on being an actuary and would be quite interested in "the formula" that disproves scouts across the world.

Parise isn't average defensivly, I won't settle for that. At the last WJC there was no goals scored against his line the whole tourney ES. That is a line with Murray and Werner. All throughout college he has been the best defensive player on his team and best two way player all in college. So when he has a rough start to his rookie pro season people say he is poor or below average defensivly? I don't buy it for one second.

All rookies have a tough stretch to start the season, they aren't adjusted to the speed of the game or how fast they make plays. Since 20 games in Parise has been close to even in terms of plus minus for the team. That would be 2nd or 3rd among forwards.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Jason MacIsaac said:
I want to see these numbers, I plen on being an actuary and would be quite interested in "the formula" that disproves scouts across the world.
I have asked twice, but have yet to recieve. :dunno:

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004

It's not a formula. It uses actual game data to break down who Parise is put out against (1st line/2nd line/etc) as well as who he was playing with at the time. It has nothing to do with manipulating +/- or any other statistic- what it does is put Parise's statistics into context.

I have asked twice, but have yet to recieve.

I'm waiting for a response to my PM. If I have to, I'll try to write up the script myself and compile the data from there.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Mr Bugg said:
It's not a formula. It uses actual game data to break down who Parise is put out against (1st line/2nd line/etc) as well as who he was playing with at the time. It has nothing to do with manipulating +/- or any other statistic- what it does is put Parise's statistics into context.
But even if it does (which I don't believe it does by a long shot), it doesn't put Parise play and character into context, to suggest that someone found a way to degrade his prospects based on ONE stat (that is disputable) is a little close-minded, don't you think?

Again this is a kid who is playing on a bad Albany team that has even a worse defense corp than the team as a whole, in fact it's safe to say it's the worse part of the team.

How does igor take that into account? Like I said before, numbers are decieving.

Last edited:

igor*

JimEIV said:
I'll jump into this thread, though I'm sure that I'll regret it. :)

First off, I am a big fan of coaching. Bench coaching in particular. And I watch the matchups and count the scoring chances out of habit, pretty much subconsciously. And therefore I put very little stock in the concensus of fans on the internet (a comment like that is sure to win me friends here :biglaugh: ).

Most of these kids in the AHL I know nothing about, nor do I care to. But Rheaume has been around a while. And the notion that Pascal is a 'shutdown centre' is, quite frankly, madness. And if he is somebody that should have been played that way ... nobody told Quenneville last year :) Only Low, Khavanov and Cajanek played softer minutes of the STL regulars last year.

I really don't know much about Parise at all, and I don't really care ... though these endless Parise debates have taken on a life of their own around here. :biglaugh:

A description of the system here if anyone is interested. http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=91331 a blurb a few posts down describes the methodology. This is pretty simple and just meant for general trend, though it's very close in most cases, generally speaking the true spread is even wider in the NHL because of the fact that usually the best 5on5 players from competing teams go toe to toe with each other.

For the NHL it's pretty straightforward. And meshes extremely well with the movement of the betting line when a player is a late scratch. And it is of course entirely derivative of Roger Neilsen's stuff from over 15 years ago, but now that the NHL publishes most of the information, it's pretty straightforward to do.

In the AHL we don't have icetimes ... so all I did was wrote a wee script that checks for every player that was on the ice for every 5on5 goal (for or against) and tallies up their +'s and -'s, very simple stuff. Then at the end of all that divides by the total number of goals the player was on the ice for. A lot of room for error, but it should give you a pretty good idea. For the AHL I rely on clever people to scrape this information off of the internet in a usable format every once in a while ... and have only bothered a couple of times this year, last one was recently, about 67 games into the season.

This is for 5on5 ONLY, after 67 River Rat games:

Bear in mind that the coach decides who plays against quality opposition, not the player.

Code:
#	NAME	5on5+	5on5-	opp	TEAMMATES

16	Nittel	10	23	19.5	-8.9
8	Foster	14	21	18.0	-8.3
3	DeMarchi	23	28	16.6	-5.9
17	Janssen	8	24	12.3	-7.5
27	Redlihs	17	20	11.9	-5.8
2	Allen	34	40	11.2	-5.5
7	Brooks	27	36	11.2	-5.3
22	Suglobov	29	34	11.1	-6.3
15	Khomuto	15	32	10.4	-7.8
28	#N/A	13	27	10.1	-5.2
10	McAmmo	34	32	9.5	-6.3
12	Pikkarain	21	33	8.5	-8.2
19	Voros	29	30	8.1	-5.9
20	Murphy	29	22	7.8	-4.5
11	Parise	29	32	5.2	-4.3
14	Pihlman	18	30	4.4	-7.7
21	Rheaume	34	29	4.3	-4.5
5	Schultz	32	41	3.5	-6.5
26	Kesa	28	42	2.1	-5.2

25	Hale	11	14	11.8	-5.6
6	Cole	3	4	-7.6	-6.8
24	Gionta	8	10	3.4	-7.1
23	#N/A	3	4	-4.9	-7.6
29	Skrlac	2	5	16.0	-8.1
18	#N/A	4	12	10.3	-9.2

This should get apologists of all stripes talking crap. :p:

As an aside, Dawgbone: this Ryan Murphy player - it's hard to say, because he played almost exclusively with Rheaume this year. He was on the ice for 29 GF after 67 games ... 27 of them with Rheaume.

The PK: Rheaume and Murphy get used a tonne by Ftorek here it seems, on the ice for 25 and 20 GA at 5on4 respectively. [Of course that doesn't necessarily mean they are good outscorers, or even good defensively (SEE Kariya) ... just that the coach thinks that they are good PKers]

The better young forwards on this roster play a lot with either McAmmond or Rheaume, who are fringe NHLers but clearly very good AHLers. And they struggle when playing with neither. The glaring exception is Suglobov, who is a relatively impressive EV+18, EV-21 when playing with neither.
River rats youngsters ... 5on5 outscoring when they weren't with Rheaume or McAmmond.

Code:
	EV+	EV-
Murphy	1	5
Voros	10	16
Parise	9	17
Suglobov	18	21

Facts be facts.

Edit: Shortened names on table to get columns aligned.

Last edited by a moderator:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
X-SHARKIE said:
IMO it's still Parise and New Jersey easily. No question. I still don't by Pouliot. I also don't see Jacques being more then a third liner.

I don't like Pouliot either, tries to be too flashy with the puck and gets hit everytime, his game will not translate unless he makes some major adjustments, he hits and plays defense but he needs to add some size to hisframe as he is not strong. Jaques IMO is the next Georges Laraque with a little more offense. Jacques IMO is going to be a 2nd line player but will see alot of time on the 3rd line as well, I think he will be a 40 point player who brings alot to the table, his skating is very good and his physcial and aggressive play is just awsome.

Ido like Parise as well, he is like a bulldog out there with some great offense, he is not scared of the corners and works his tail off. Plus he has a high skill level.

igor*

Lou is God said:
I am still intersted to see igrr's numbers, not that'll change my opinion at all, I just find it hard to believe that his numbers define this kid defensively in his first pro year were his defenseman have been for the most part crap until Hale got healthy (hence the Rats current hot streak). Numbers can be very deceiving, that is more fact than opinion. :p: (Sorry man, I just can't make them smile!)
Good Christmas. How many links do people have to leave for you before you make a semblance of an effort?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It's impressive - in theory. The problem is, if Parise (or Suglobov, or Murphy) aren't playing with Rheaume or McAmmond, who are they playing with?

Parise, Voros, and Suglobov played together for a little while at the beginning of the season. They produced a very effective scoring unit (as seen from your stats, because if Parise wasn't playing with McAmmond or on the defensive unit with Rheaume and Murphy he was playing with Suglobov and Voros) but a horrible defensive unit - mainly because neither Suglobov nor Voros is defensively inclined, something that both will have to get over in order to become effective NHLers... especially Voros, whose size should be an asset. Suglobov can probably make up for defensive lapses with sheer scoring ability.

So what these numbers tell me, is that when Parise was playing with Suglobov and Voros, their UNIT was ineffective defensively. Which is unsurprising.

On the other hand, Ryan Murphy is the second coming of Jay Pandolfo. From what I've seen of him, that I truly believe.

I also am uncertain where the OPP and TEAMMATE numbers come from. How do you determinee these numbers? And why is it that Cole is the only player (aside from the mystery #23) that has a negative number in the OPP column?

EDIT: looking at the thread you linked, I came across your "hardest minutes defenseman" comparison... It's interesting because Colin White is much maligned for no reason but Devils fans and non-Devils fans alike, but I can say pretty safely that he was not playing the hardest minutes for New Jersey. Scott Niedermayer was responsible for that... he and his partner, often it was White, sometimes it was Martin.

Last edited:

igor*

Cerebral said:
It makes sense if you look at who Bure was playing against and who his linemates were. Likewise, I'd guess that Bure's EV +/- isn't very impressive as a lot of his points came on the powerplay...
Bure! :biglaugh: ya he's an outscorer! Good crap, he plays some of the softest minutes in the league and still manages to put up only modest EV+/- numbers. It's a killer for the team he's playing for, because he leaves the rest of his teammates to stare down Forsberg, Federov, Modano or similar for the rest of the minutes in the game. We're talking about a guy who once scored 59 goals in a season and was STILL a minus player, and presumably against weak opp (surely no coach is stupid enough to play him otherwise). I wouldn't have even thought that possible, on any team, until Pav did it. :biglaugh: Dude was BORN to be a Ranger!

igor*

Flame_Star_Devil said:
It's impressive - in theory. The problem is, if Parise (or Suglobov, or Murphy) aren't playing with Rheaume or McAmmond, who are they playing with?
Other players. Ftorek has always shuffled lines, at least in the NHL. Mostly the set lines are figments of fans imaginations. I've never understood that.

Parise, Voros, and Suglobov played together for a little while at the beginning of the season. They produced a very effective scoring unit (as seen from your stats, because if Parise wasn't playing with McAmmond or on the defensive unit with Rheaume and Murphy he was playing with Suglobov and Voros)
WTH are you talking about. Abandon this notion ... it is an apology that has been fabricated by people here.

Voros, Parise and Suglobov combined for EV+4 EV-5 as a line ... hardly a big chunk of their icetime.

In fairness to Voros and Suglobov ... they did much better playing together with MacAmmond in Parise's place. EV+8 EV-6.

And this duo (Suglobov and Voros) were evens, on a bad team, playing with an assortment of other forwards.

Tis fact.

On the other hand, Ryan Murphy is the second coming of Jay Pandolfo. From what I've seen of him, that I truly believe.
Hard to separate the wheat from the chaff there, buddy spent so much time with Rheaume. I've never seen him play though, maybe there's something there. Time will tell. By the results Suglobov looks to be a good player even strength player though ... but he's one of these over-late Russians, no? Hard to figure with them ... you could get anything.

... looking at the thread you linked, I came across your "hardest minutes defenseman" comparison... It's interesting because Colin White is much maligned for no reason but Devils fans and non-Devils fans alike, but I can say pretty safely that he was not playing the hardest minutes for New Jersey. Scott Niedermayer was responsible for that... he and his partner, often it was White, sometimes it was Martin.
Ya, I like White. A guy I was hoping the Oilers could find a way to acquire. Burns seems to like him too, though. And Stevens isn't geting any younger, so I imagine Colin will stay a Devil for a long time yet. :(

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It is possible I'm mistaken about Parise, Voros, and Suglobov, but I know for a fact that they spent five or six games together as a unit... I remember those games very clearly. They provided great offensive punch although they had trouble finishing (for some reason, Suglobov hits the post a LOT, something which is really annoying) but were weak defensively. That's about the only thing I AM sure about, because those were the games I listened to start to finish. McAmmond has spent most of the season since with Parise, that is true.

However, saying simply that Parise (or Murphy) are leeching off McAmmond or Rheaume doesn't sit well with me. Partially because if Parise and Murphy weren't good at what they do, they wouldn't be put in that position in the first place, so obviously Ftorek has faith in them to keep up with the "NHL caliber" players on the roster.

In the case of Murphy, I believe Rheaume has benefited defensively more from Murphy than vice-versa... but it is true, they've played so much that it's hard to tell - from the stats.

The problem is, these numbers rely on McAmmond or Rheaume being the big players on Albany, the players that others feed off of. That might be true in McAmmond's case, but Rheaume doesn't make the players around him much better, IMO. From the games I've kept up with, the key players on Albany are:

1. David Hale
2. Aleksander Suglobov

These two are the most important to Albany. If they play well, Albany wins. If not, Albany loses. The fact that Hale wasn't playing for most of the season directly correlates with the team's win percentage.

These numbers simply tell me that when Parise wasn't playing with McAmmond or Rheaume, he had a worse +/- than when he WAS playing with McAmmond or Rheaume. Which is exceedingly unsurprising, seeing as the rest of Albany's forward core (with the exception of Murphy and, perhaps, the much injured Adrian Foster) is average defensively. Albany isn't breeding defensive players - they're breeding new guns to restock New Jersey with. Compound this with a complete lack of a defensive core (when Matt DeMarchi is your most consist defenseman, you've got a problem, even if he IS a decent prospect) and you're going to rack up the goals against.

If I remember correctly, McAmmond said earlier this season that Zach Parise was one of the most talented players he'd ever played with. Now, of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything - but maybe it does.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
However, saying simply that Parise (or Murphy) are leeching off McAmmond or Rheaume doesn't sit well with me. Partially because if Parise and Murphy weren't good at what they do, they wouldn't be put in that position in the first place, so obviously Ftorek has faith in them to keep up with the "NHL caliber" players on the roster.

While this is partly true, you still don't seem to understand the concept of soft minutes. Rookies and defensively inept players are teamed with better players so that that player's mistakes aren't so glaring.

igor*

Flame_Star_Devil said:
These numbers simply tell me that when Parise wasn't playing with McAmmond or Rheaume, he had a worse +/- than when he WAS playing with McAmmond or Rheaume. Which is exceedingly unsurprising, seeing as the rest of Albany's forward core (with the exception of Murphy and, perhaps, the much injured Adrian Foster) is average defensively.
+/- is NOT a measure of defensive ability. It IS a measure of how much a player outscored his opposition. Nothing more and nothing less. Though the plus/minus in the stats pages incorporates SH+'s and SH-'s ... so it's clouded a bit.

Wayne Gretzky was possibly the poorest defensive forward to ever play a shift in the NHL, yet in his prime in the mid-eighties he was a tremendous outscorer.

So worded more correctly, would you say that you are not surprised that Parise is badly outscored when he is NOT playing with one of McAmmond or Rheaume?

Fact is that, at 5on5, McAmmond without either Parise or Rheaume is EV+23 EV-23 on a team that seems to have pretty questionable goaltending and defense. Rheaume is EV+9, EV-17 without the other two and Parise EV+7 EV-12.

The answer to Aretha's musical question "who's zoomin' who?" lies in there somewhere. And the answer doesn't want to be heard.

You can chase excuses all day with the many combinations of players though. that's why the sum total in table above is there ... and the opposition numbers make the direction of the coaching staff that much clearer, at least in terms of palyer utilization at 5on5.

Bottom Line: McAmmond will still be a servicable depth forward for an NHL team when the NHL starts again IMO. Getting near the end of his career, but still a player that will probably get another shot or two. Rheaume's days as an NHLer are surely done. And Parise as a 20 year old will certainly get better, but right now he is not as good as either ... and anyone who pegs him as being better than Brendan Morrison is very likely an unabashed "facts be damned" optimist. And that's probably not a bad way to be, so long as you don't wager on your own hunches. :)

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
igor said:
Bure! :biglaugh: ya he's an outscorer! Good crap, he plays some of the softest minutes in the league and still manages to put up only modest EV+/- numbers. It's a killer for the team he's playing for, because he leaves the rest of his teammates to stare down Forsberg, Federov, Modano or similar for the rest of the minutes in the game. We're talking about a guy who once scored 59 goals in a season and was STILL a minus player, and presumably against weak opp (surely no coach is stupid enough to play him otherwise). I wouldn't have even thought that possible, on any team, until Pav did it. :biglaugh: Dude was BORN to be a Ranger!
That must explain why you love Brett Hull so much... ;)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
igor said:
Fact is that, at 5on5, McAmmond without either Parise or Rheaume is EV+23 EV-23 on a team that seems to have pretty questionable goaltending and defense. Rheaume is EV+9, EV-17 without the other two and Parise EV+7 EV-12.

Igor,

Can you point out to me how you exactly you figure all 10 players on the ice for an even strength goal.........

Can you tell me how you are keeping this data? Is it in a relational Database? I'm curious to know how you are quering who plays with whom at what time.

But the real question I have is why do you believe this data is any indication of anything?

For an example.... If Jamie Langenbrunner played 5 games with the Madden line and 5 games with Friensen and Nieuwendyk I would totally expect his EV+ and EV- to be different. Those are two completely different roles. One is expected to produce points and the other is expected to stop them......Would that mean MAdden and Pandolfo are keeping Langenbrunner a float??? Of course not.

I question the analysis of your data, and I am unclear of the collection method so I am uncertain of its [Data] integrity as well.

jcoldwell

Aug 11, 2004
Wow. To get back to the original post... who won the Parise, Jacques, Pouliot deal. I believe both teams won. The Oilers needed bigger bodies and they did that with JFJ and MAP. The Devils got a good player in Parise. It is still too early to tell who won hands down.

I am an Oiler fan and will say this...some Oiler fans overrate Pouliot and Schremp or even Deslauriers at that matter. To me Pouliot will be an above average 2nd line center with his upside being an occasional 1st line center. JFJ on the other hand if he does make it to the NHL will be a 3rd (upside) or 4th line player.

I see Parise being an average 1st line center but most likely be a Mike York and be an above average 2nd line center. Let's all be realistic.

I do have to say that all fans of every team overrates their prospects including NJ and Edmonton fans. I try and keep it in perspective. Until the Oilers have a prospect in the likes of Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr, and Messier then I am not getting my hopes up because HF rates the Oilers prospects an 8.5 or 8 To me it is just a rating at which HF sees fit to give them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad