"Paper Bag Day": Saturday, March 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
May have to make up one of my own for tomorrow night...

images

Last edited:

JohnnyJet

Feb 7, 2017
Is this a joke?

You made a silly thread urging everyone to join you in muting the True North chant, now you want everyone wearing paper bags.

Your delusional belief that Chipman does not care to put a winning product on the ice, is out to lunch. You putting a bag over your head will only accomplish one thing, making you look like a fool.

And stop acting like you are owed something here. You are acting like you have spent decades being abused as a sports fan, when you have endured some building years. THere are several other sports fanbases that would see your distain as pathetic.

He has every right so share his opinion on this team at the arena when he's payed his own hard earned $$ to be there in the first place. What he's suggested is not offensive to anyone in any way, and seeing as how we live in a free country he's entirely within his rights to speak his mind.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Having said that, the fact that what could be a fun evening is being taken so seriously is a clear indication of fan dissent. There are TNSE employees and possibly upper management reading through these forums. It's been established that members of the media do. Fan apathy is bad. Being content with a losing product, and telling those fans who are frustrated with the Jets lack of progress in the last six years to "just be glad True North brought the Jets back" is insulting to the fanbase, who spends tens of thousands of dollars on tickets, merchandise, and concessions each and every year.

I'm not asking for the Jets to be Stanley Cup contenders. I just want to see us compete. Six years is too long for a team that on paper, has the ability to become a contender. All we are asking is for True North to plug up the holes in the team. Really, how hard is it to go out and acquire a reliable veteran goalie, or a couple of reliable defensemen?

Obviously it may make sense to plug these holes after the expansion draft, but the fact that True North had a goaltending issue, almost from day one, and failed to bring in anyone to fix it leave me not only perplexed, but questioning the ability of the organization to do what is right for the team. We are the Oilers of 5 years ago. An abundance of offensive strength, with holes in the blue line and crease.

As a true Jets fan, and one who has followed the team since 1982, I would like to see the team compete and go far in the playoffs for once in my lifetime. Every other Canadian city that has had an NHL team has accomplished this. Why not Winnipeg?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I blame it all on Dancing Gabe. The Jets were one of the best teams in hockey in 1984-1985 when he began attending Jets game under that schick.

They've never come close to replicating that success since.

You could be right. I think the answer is to get him some dancing lessons. Once he learns how to bust a move (is that term still in use among you hepcats?), the Jets fortunes will follow suit.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Some of you act like this is as bad as it gets. Not even close yet.

Plenty of additional setbacks coming over the next 2 years....

Wheeler/Little UFA, Myers' value is near zero with the injuries and he'll be a UFA as well, forced to trade Trouba, etc.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think the NHL should allow every club to hoist a participation banner from the rafters,
Then everyseason we could have an awesome banner raising ceremony whereby everyone wins.
No need for protesting just praise for everyone.
Central Division 6th place participants "here come
Your Winnipeg Jets " with an apropos catchy rock anthem.
I feel better already
S'mores anyone?

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
Having said that, the fact that what could be a fun evening is being taken so seriously is a clear indication of fan dissent. There are TNSE employees and possibly upper management reading through these forums. It's been established that members of the media do. Fan apathy is bad. Being content with a losing product, and telling those fans who are frustrated with the Jets lack of progress in the last six years to "just be glad True North brought the Jets back" is insulting to the fanbase, who spends tens of thousands of dollars on tickets, merchandise, and concessions each and every year.

I'm not asking for the Jets to be Stanley Cup contenders. I just want to see us compete. Six years is too long for a team that on paper, has the ability to become a contender. All we are asking is for True North to plug up the holes in the team. Really, how hard is it to go out and acquire a reliable veteran goalie, or a couple of reliable defensemen?

Obviously it may make sense to plug these holes after the expansion draft, but the fact that True North had a goaltending issue, almost from day one, and failed to bring in anyone to fix it leave me not only perplexed, but questioning the ability of the organization to do what is right for the team. We are the Oilers of 5 years ago. An abundance of offensive strength, with holes in the blue line and crease.

As a true Jets fan, and one who has followed the team since 1982, I would like to see the team compete and go far in the playoffs for once in my lifetime. Every other Canadian city that has had an NHL team has accomplished this. Why not Winnipeg?

Are you on borrowed time buddy? It really hasn't been that long since we got them back, and I think we can all agree that the future looks far brighter now than when we inherited them. Take my previous post to heart: be strong and endure. Be a fan.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Is this a joke?

1.You made a silly thread urging everyone to join you in muting the True North chant, now you want everyone wearing paper bags.

2.Your delusional belief that Chipman does not care to put a winning product on the ice, is out to lunch. You putting a bag over your head will only accomplish one thing, making you look like a fool.

3.And stop acting like you are owed something here. You are acting like you have spent decades being abused as a sports fan, when you have endured some building years. THere are several other sports fanbases that would see your distain as pathetic.

1. I made a silly blog about renaming a highway or something significant after Manitoba-born long distance runner Terry Fox in 2013. It actually made the news. The end result was "Terry Fox Day" for August long weekend. If I could help influence the province to rename a holiday in honor of one of the great Manitobans of all time, anyone can do it. I think you are being silly by being confrontational with anyone who sees there are problems in the Jets organization, and wants True North to do something about it.

2. I never said Mark Chipman does not care about a winning product. You are putting words in my mouth. For whatever reason, True North is acting exactly how Darryl Katz and the Oilers did a few years ago. Seemingly ignoring the fans and the product on the ice, and being blindly loyal to management in the organization that played on the great 80's teams. The only fool here is someone who attacks the disenfranchised fan, only to pay whatever True North charges.

3. I have spent decades as a Winnipeg sports fan, cheering for the Bombers and Jets. With the exception of the 80s/early 90s Bomber teams, the teams have stunk for the vast majority of my adult life. And name one city in the NHL that would see a hard core fan wanting to send a message to the organization they have supported for 6 years of mediocre records, and no playoff wins, as "pathetic."

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Are you on borrowed time buddy? It really hasn't been that long since we got them back, and I think we can all agree that the future looks far brighter now than when we inherited them. Take my previous post to heart: be strong and endure. Be a fan.

I am including Jets 1.0. I endured mainly losing seasons for 15 years before they left for Arizona. I'm not so sure anymore that the future really is any brighter. Our records are actually worse now than the last couple of Atlanta Thrasher years. We have abundance of promising young forwards, but not much else. Maybe it's time to trade a couple of prospects or young NHL players for a reliable defenseman.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Or TNSE could be proactive and sell licensed JETS paper bags....
Then at the critical juncture of our national anthem you would hear paper crinkle sounds and a muffled
Tuiii Nofffff
I like it and it adds more revenue to the coffers

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Plenty of additional setbacks coming over the next 2 years....

Wheeler/Little UFA, Myers' value is near zero with the injuries and he'll be a UFA as well, forced to trade Trouba, etc.

If I was Wheeler, Little, or Trouba, I wouldn't sign in Winnipeg. Why not try the market, and sign with a team without a losing culture, that has a chance at winning something?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
If I was Wheeler, Little, or Trouba, I wouldn't sign in Winnipeg. Why not try the market, and sign with a team without a losing culture, that has a chance at winning something?

Ok, now you're just whining. Just put a bag on your head already :whine:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Ok, now you're just whining. Just put a bag on your head already :whine:

Not exactly.

That's the reason Iginla left the Flames, and there were players who vetoed trades to Edmonton for so long. The teams were not competitive. I am just being painfully honest. If I were Little, I would not exactly be motivated to sign for a team I have spend a decade playing for, with one playoff appearance, and mainly losing seasons. Trouba is from the suburbs of Detroit. Playing NHL in a small market Canadian city, with extremely cold winters must not be appealing, but a winning team could change everything. Wheeler? He will be 32 this year, and his best years are sadly behind him. He has to be thinking about playing for a team who will make a serious run in the playoffs.

That's just the reality of the situation.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Not exactly.

That's the reason Iginla left the Flames, and there were players who vetoed trades to Edmonton for so long. The teams were not competitive.

Iginla? Lol, if we can get quality players to hang around for 16 years, I'm not sure what problem we're talking about. :help:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not exactly.

That's the reason Iginla left the Flames, and there were players who vetoed trades to Edmonton for so long. The teams were not competitive.

I can agree this won't make it easy for guys to re up that do want to win.
The paper bag thing doesn't bother me one way or the other nor does the refusal to shout True North.

Next season will be really telling on what this fan base does.

Right now just sit back relax and endure.
We "likely" won't make the playoffs
We aren't likely to fire anyone
We aren't likely to make a splash on the TD
I am frustrated along with everyone else

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Wheeler and Little are key parts of the so-called "losing culture", aren't they?

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Protest any way you want as long as it doesn't include throwing stuff on the ice or likewise ruin the game experience for other fans.

I think that people are mistakenly assuming that TNSE are oblivious to the current fan disenchantment with the team. I would suggest they are aware of what's happening on social media and the call in shows, etc. they know people are not happy and nor are they happy but they rightly or wrongly are sticking to their current plan at least for now.

They know as the rest of us know now that the days of just happy to have the NHL back are long gone. They do want to win but how they are attempting to achieve that is the big question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad