"Paper Bag Day": Saturday, March 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So I should give up my season tickets or am I misinterpreting your statement?

The feeling I get from TNSE is that they're happy insomuch as they're making money. They're looking at the economic situation and deciding that A)the Canadian dollar continues to perform poorly cutting into their bottom line and B)we have a largely captive audience so we'll just raise prices to cover our margins (plus profit, of course). If that affects any of our season ticket holders then hey, they can walk and we'll pluck someone off the wait list to take their place. Loyalty is for those inside the organization. Eff the rest of them. I'm sure they're displeased with the on-ice product as well but I've seen no outward indications of it. To the contrary I see statements that seem to imply "we're just this close to the playoffs" and we're sure everything will be ok. There's no urgency despite being a rather pathetic team, in terms of performance, for the tenure here in Winnipeg.

I'm at a loss here as to how to proceed. I'm not giving up my season tickets because I enjoy the privilege of going to NHL hockey games. Generally I enjoy them, be it to watch our guys or as of late, to watch other teams outperform our guys. My only real avenue of complaint is to fill out the end of season ticket holder survey. I'm not convinced that they take any of it to heart at all. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want management to take MY advice on how to manage the team.

We're in year six. There've been some moves made though really many not until the management has been forced to make them. The team did entirely check out on Noel. Buff threw Kane's tracksuit in the shower forcing the trade. Beyond that? No addressing of goaltending in a meaningful manner (yes, I was supportive of a Hutch/Helle combo for this year but really only in the sense of the Helle half of it) for years. We've squandered most of the Atlanta Core's better years trying to figure things out while icing GST, Mittens, Peluso and others. We are again, pragmatically speaking, out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving. Within my season ticket group I have for the past several seasons front-loaded my games so I can delude myself that we still have a shot in October, November, December.

So how do I voice those concerns as a season ticket holder? How do I convey the message that I'm not satisfied with the product on the ice? I disagree with paper bags, throwing jerseys on the ice and for the most part, booing the home team. But what avenues are available to suggest I'm largely dissatisfied with the product? If that dog's breakfast of a Tampa game was me in a restaurant eating a meal I'd have asked to speak to the manager about his/her employees' performances - the hostess was great and showed us to a nice seat, but it was downhill after that, the waiter was awful, the product largely undelivered and you want me to pay how much?

I'm well and truly ok with the notion of a growth year with youth in place. But the Jets should be better than they are showing, youth or not in the lineup. I'm not upset because we're not winning, I'm upset because they don't even look like they're trying. It's not JUST goaltending that is hampering this team, far from it. The Helle/Hutch combo was a risk that didn't work (what is preventing us from acquiring another goaltender during the season btw if we are seriously trying to make the playoffs?) The play beyond there is what could best be described as embarrassing at times for young men making millions of dollars to do what they do.

If they were losing by being out-competed by a better team that would be a-ok in my books. But that's not the case in many games. The Leafs were behind us prior to this year in terms of development. I think Matthews is one heck of a hockey player but he's not the difference between the Jets and the Leafs at the moment. And I think the Leafs are considerably further ahead of us in a very, very short time since they tore it down to start over. Year six since the team came over and we're still evaluating and in a developmental year? Oy.

There are two issues - one is the issue around rising ticket prices. That's a legitimate complaint, and you'd have to decide whether you think it's justifiable, and in the end, whether the tickets are worth it for you. I don't have enough information to assess whether the expenses have risen enough to justify the price increases, but there has been a substantial depreciation of the Canadian dollar vis-à-vis the US dollar. I know that the Jets hedge, and there are currency balancing mechanisms, but I would bet that the Jets are dealing with a worse balance sheet due to currency fluctuations.

Regardless, on balance, I still think that the season tickets are worth the money for me, but understand those who don't. Ultimately, the market will decide.

The issue of whether the team performance is adequate for the (rising) ticket prices is an entirely different matter. I've been disappointed by their performance this season, but objectively I find them just as entertaining or moreso than in the first few years when I didn't see the level of young talent the team has now. Watching Laine and Ehlers and Scheifele (and Morrissey and Trouba) is entertaining for a number of reasons.

I approached this season very differently than many others, mostly because I could see that the Jets' management were more formally declaring in words and actions a move a youthful core with bright young talents. I expected that they would struggle. However, I have been disappointed by a number of aspects of how they have played, and how they've been coached. Overall, I still think that the franchise is now on a good trajectory, and that with a few key fixes they finally have the talent and depth in the organization that might lead to a real contender.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Wouldn't it be amazing to see one game where the entire area was empty. Not a single soul In the entire place. It would be more than national news.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So ...... nothing to do with coaching then?

Probably. For me, it's not as easy to assess as it seems to be for others.

Would a different coach be able to improve Enstrom's performance, or is it more related to age and off-ice distractions?

Why did Buff have two of his best years under Maurice, and then come out "flat" this season, without the physical dominance and with a lot of loose and careless play?

Why do teams score more than twice as many goals as the Jets when Perreault is on the ice than when he's off? Has he lost something in his game with his string of somewhat severe injuries, or is he being misused or poorly coached?

I've been one of Maurice's earliest and most consistent critics (initially for his use of vets like Stu and Harrison, and thereafter for a range of other issues). However, I think this is a very unusual year and I'm having a hard time figuring it out. That includes both players' performance and coaching. I tend to be a bit of a long-range planner, so I am less inclined to favour short-term solutions, and I expect that approach might clash with how some others approach things.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
All these great and creative and surely monumental ways to protest lately. I haven't heard ideas this good since the rock monster fight in Galaxy Quest.

"Look around, maybe you can fashion some sort of.. rudimentary lathe.."

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Other protest ideas:

Beiv8q2CIAE5Gte.jpg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The feeling I get from TNSE is that they're happy insomuch as they're making money. They're looking at the economic situation and deciding that A)the Canadian dollar continues to perform poorly cutting into their bottom line and B)we have a largely captive audience so we'll just raise prices to cover our margins (plus profit, of course). If that affects any of our season ticket holders then hey, they can walk and we'll pluck someone off the wait list to take their place. Loyalty is for those inside the organization. Eff the rest of them. I'm sure they're displeased with the on-ice product as well but I've seen no outward indications of it. To the contrary I see statements that seem to imply "we're just this close to the playoffs" and we're sure everything will be ok. There's no urgency despite being a rather pathetic team, in terms of performance, for the tenure here in Winnipeg.

I'm at a loss here as to how to proceed. I'm not giving up my season tickets because I enjoy the privilege of going to NHL hockey games. Generally I enjoy them, be it to watch our guys or as of late, to watch other teams outperform our guys. My only real avenue of complaint is to fill out the end of season ticket holder survey. I'm not convinced that they take any of it to heart at all. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want management to take MY advice on how to manage the team.

We're in year six. There've been some moves made though really many not until the management has been forced to make them. The team did entirely check out on Noel. Buff threw Kane's tracksuit in the shower forcing the trade. Beyond that? No addressing of goaltending in a meaningful manner (yes, I was supportive of a Hutch/Helle combo for this year but really only in the sense of the Helle half of it) for years. We've squandered most of the Atlanta Core's better years trying to figure things out while icing GST, Mittens, Peluso and others. We are again, pragmatically speaking, out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving. Within my season ticket group I have for the past several seasons front-loaded my games so I can delude myself that we still have a shot in October, November, December.

So how do I voice those concerns as a season ticket holder? How do I convey the message that I'm not satisfied with the product on the ice? I disagree with paper bags, throwing jerseys on the ice and for the most part, booing the home team. But what avenues are available to suggest I'm largely dissatisfied with the product? If that dog's breakfast of a Tampa game was me in a restaurant eating a meal I'd have asked to speak to the manager about his/her employees' performances - the hostess was great and showed us to a nice seat, but it was downhill after that, the waiter was awful, the product largely undelivered and you want me to pay how much?

I'm well and truly ok with the notion of a growth year with youth in place. But the Jets should be better than they are showing, youth or not in the lineup. I'm not upset because we're not winning, I'm upset because they don't even look like they're trying. It's not JUST goaltending that is hampering this team, far from it. The Helle/Hutch combo was a risk that didn't work (what is preventing us from acquiring another goaltender during the season btw if we are seriously trying to make the playoffs?) The play beyond there is what could best be described as embarrassing at times for young men making millions of dollars to do what they do.

If they were losing by being out-competed by a better team that would be a-ok in my books. But that's not the case in many games. The Leafs were behind us prior to this year in terms of development. I think Matthews is one heck of a hockey player but he's not the difference between the Jets and the Leafs at the moment. And I think the Leafs are considerably further ahead of us in a very, very short time since they tore it down to start over. Year six since the team came over and we're still evaluating and in a developmental year? Oy.

Well I'm quite annoyed with this year but the Jets essentially tore things down prior to last seasons when they let vets walk and elected to go with a youth movement and traded our captain mid season. I'm pissed about where we are but if you want to look at it alongside other rebuilds that started at the same period:

Point percentage:
Columbus .694
Edmonton .589
Toronto .565
Buffalo .500
Winnipeg .466
Arizona .406
Colorado .302

Now look at the following and ask your self what the underlying difference is.

Edmonton CF% 50.75 rank 14th 5 on 5 sv% .925
Columbus CF% 50.44 rank 15th 5 on 3 sv% .927
Toronto CF% 50.34 rank 16th 5 on5 sv% .919
Winnipeg CF% 49.65 rank 18th to on 5 sv% .911
Colorado CF% 47.29 rank 26th 5 on 5 sv% .905
Buffalo CF% 46.93 rank 28th 5 on5 sv% .934
Arizona CF% 45.85 rank 30th 5 on 5 sv% .924

We are also mid table on that list in terms of pp% but bring up the rear with Buffalo on PK%.

I think it's pretty clear that we are tracking very similarly at 5 on 5 with the other rebuilds and that's with us having significantly more injuries than all the other rebuilding teams. What should be glaring is we have gotten by far the 2nd worst goaltending of all the rebuilds which is where the main discrepancy from the perceived further ahead team a is. The other glaring issue is the PK.

After doing this while I still think we should be better on a number of fronts we are tracking similarly and if Chevy shores up goaltending we will start to look like Edmonton this year.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
did the OP suggest we bring in an original gimmick?
lol.
guess most of you are too young to remember the peanut butter giveaway fiasco vs the Senators

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I see the lack of a sense of urgency but otherwise disagree with this paragraph. I don't believe there is any satisfaction with merely making money. The team has to make at least a small profit in order to survive. It can never compete unless it is also supporting the costs of competing.

There are technical aspects I am not able to judge. So exactly, precisely how to proceed I can't say. I can that, IMO there needs to be coaching changes for example, but I can't say who should replace current coaches.

We can all see a lack of specific action. We were asked to be patient when the team arrived and generally have been. Very patient in fact. We have yet to be given an estimate of how patient we should expect to have to be. We have been able to see opportunity come and go with no apparent attempt by the club to take advantage.

You list the available avenues and reject them. There are ways to contact the team. You have a ticket rep. You can ask that rep to pass on a message. You can rent a billboard, set up a protest twitter account or facebook page. I don't know of any way to speak directly to management.

I think you put your finger on at least one key thing right at the start. 6 years in there should be that sense of urgency. That is not like panic. It is just an acknowledgement that there should be more visible progress in the 6th season.

How to communicate with management is another story. At some point the frustration needs to grow to the point where you will take action you are not comfortable with, like bag heads or renting billboards. Otherwise you are left with abandoning your ST's or something along those lines.

I think a really strong message would be sent if, for 1 game all the STH would simply stay home. Don't sell your tickets. That wouldn't show up. Eat the cost of a ticket. Give them 13000 empty seats. That is a message they could not ignore.

2 problems with it though. 1)Would they get the 'right' message? 2)It would be impossible to get enough STH on board for it to work.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
of coarse we should stop the white out. we never win with it. like ever. maybe 1 series out of a dozen.

I blame it all on Dancing Gabe. The Jets were one of the best teams in hockey in 1984-1985 when he began attending Jets game under that schick.

They've never come close to replicating that success since.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Perhaps find an alternative to hockey that night in the form of I dunno... Man U vs Bournemouth!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur5fGSBsfq8

"Hegel is arguing that the reality is merely an a priori adjunct of non-naturalistic ethics, Kant via the categorical imperative is holding that ontologically it exists only in the imagination, and Marx is claiming it was offside."

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
I think you put your finger on at least one key thing right at the start. 6 years in there should be that sense of urgency. That is not like panic. It is just an acknowledgement that there should be more visible progress in the 6th season.

How to communicate with management is another story. At some point the frustration needs to grow to the point where you will take action you are not comfortable with, like bag heads or renting billboards. Otherwise you are left with abandoning your ST's or something along those lines.

I think a really strong message would be sent if, for 1 game all the STH would simply stay home. Don't sell your tickets. That wouldn't show up. Eat the cost of a ticket. Give them 13000 empty seats. That is a message they could not ignore.

2 problems with it though. 1)Would they get the 'right' message? 2)It would be impossible to get enough STH on board for it to work.

That's simply just never going to even come close to happening. Remember the strike boycotts? :laugh:

It will be interesting to see the renewal rate this year. I know three people who have outright cancelled their seats. On top of people not renewing, it will be interesting to see how many people drop off the wait list. Their precious safety net may be torn to shreds this summer.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Some of you trying to fan-shame the OP are a bit too much. :laugh: It's not a fun time to be a Jets fan, the Jets suck, the AHL team sucks, there really isn't any prospect who is really lighting it up in the minors. The OP is just an exasperated fan and well within his rights to wear a paper bag to the game. It doesn't hurt anyone or offend anyone or ruin anyone else's game experience. The fan-shaming is uncalled for

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Some of you trying to fan-shame the OP are a bit too much. :laugh: It's not a fun time to be a Jets fan, the Jets suck, the AHL team sucks, there really isn't any prospect who is really lighting it up in the minors. The OP is just an exasperated fan and well within his rights to wear a paper bag to the game. It doesn't hurt anyone or offend anyone or ruin anyone else's game experience. The fan-shaming is uncalled for

Stop shaming the shamers :soap:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Come to the game with a bag on your head and Chevy will just think you are self conscious about your looks.

Throw a jersey, burn a jersey, hold up signs, wear a bag, whatever floats your boat... but this is not worldly matters like human rights or immigration, etc. where the masses en-mass and protest and maybe the policy makers listen.... this is sports where the GM and owner know they are right and the fans are wrong.

If protesting makes you feel good, go ahead, wear your bag and have a laugh... just remember to take it off when you go to the washroom.... and just remember it won't change anything.

Do something like this...

sign-man.png

and I think everyone will have a good chuckle.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
On Saturday March 4, 2017, the Jets will host the Colorado Avalanche. Since it's the league worst team, the Avalanche, the Jets could possibly lose, as they have a bad history of mailing it in against bad teams. I propose a new gimmick night. "Wear a paper bag over your head" night.

This event could be huge. Not only would it be different (the kids will love it), but it could be a fun thing for fans, and send a message by embarrassing True North in front of a national audience (HNIC). Winnipeg fans should not accept mediocrity, and this season will be six years without a playoff win.

Let's do this! There have been cities where as many as 50-100 fans show up with paper bags over their heads. 15,000+ would look awesome on TV, and create a surreal effect. Jets fans are the best, and it's time we sent a message that we will no longer pay some of the highest prices in the NHL for an inferior product. Wear the paper bag over your head with pride.

Winnipeg deserves better.

Is this a joke?

You made a silly thread urging everyone to join you in muting the True North chant, now you want everyone wearing paper bags.

Your delusional belief that Chipman does not care to put a winning product on the ice, is out to lunch. You putting a bag over your head will only accomplish one thing, making you look like a fool.

And stop acting like you are owed something here. You are acting like you have spent decades being abused as a sports fan, when you have endured some building years. THere are several other sports fanbases that would see your distain as pathetic.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
did the OP suggest we bring in an original gimmick?
lol.
guess most of you are too young to remember the peanut butter giveaway fiasco vs the Senators

Was that with Jets 1.0 or 2.0?

I was 19 when the Jets left, so I would definitely remember this if it was big news. I've heard about orange puck giveaway night in the WHA, and how it backfired, as fans kept throwing orange puck on to the ice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

"fan-shaming"??? :laugh:

I couldn't care less if anyone wants to wear a paper bag on his head in public. I just don't think it would be a particularly innovative or effective form of mass protest.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Stop shaming the shamers :soap:

Yup, we all agree with the fact that the Jets aren't doing well this year, yet again.

Shaming because they don't agree with your theory as to 'why' is not good. Twitter is bad for that. It's like: "If you don't agree with my assessment, you're against me", ugh! :facepalm:

One thing for sure, unless there is a serious environmental or human rights issue, you get a lot more traction on a positive (white out, true north chant, etc.) or an "in-good-fun" (track suit night, helmet pardy) type of campaign than a negative (stick it to the man) campaign.

Back to my popcorn... :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad