GDT: Panthers @ Wings | 7:30PM ET | The Why is Jimmy Howard Still Starting? Edition

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Thats interference he took the goalie out with his skate but of course f*** Detroit

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Lol, he had the best chance of the game, then made a typical play, got in a pokecheck and still had his man. Where was the last man back?

No, he would have had a primary assist had he passed. Instead he wanted the goal and only passed after Mantha Reimer didn't freeze.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Question is why did AA sit at the boards for a full second and not get his stick and get back into the play?
I'd have to see it again but I don't think he was just sitting there. He slid past the goal got back up and got in the play, unfortunately too late.

Whereas there were three Panthers players around the net and the third Wings player was nowhere to be found. Curious as to what happened.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
This team is so predictably pathetic in both execution and effort. There have been worse teams in the NHL the past few years, but never one so uninspired in their play

Blashill really needs to go, it’s clear the players have given up on him. An interim coach would be good for the young guys morale. Being bad is fine, but this effort level and acceptence of failure isn’t. Losing is contagious

Reactions: Pomee and aar000n

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
No, he would have had a primary assist had he passed. Instead he wanted the goal and only passed after Mantha Reimer didn't freeze.

Lol, good to know you can see the future. Either way, that chance was several plays away from the goal against. And AA STILL got a great pass in to Mantha. Then after 2 full rushes AA can still get back into the play and prevents the breakaway shot. But let’s talk about how someone else’s man (probably Blashill being an idiot and calling for a line change from Mantha) was the guy who scored the goal.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd have to see it again but I don't think he was just sitting there. He slid past the goal got back up and got in the play, unfortunately too late.

Whereas there were three Panthers players around the net and the third Wings player was nowhere to be found. Curious as to what happened.
Mantha was on the ice and he went to the bench...

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This team is so predictably pathetic in both execution and effort. There have been worse teams in the NHL the past few years, but never one so uninspired in their play

Blashill really needs to go, it’s clear the players have given up on him. An interim coach would be good for the young guys morale. Being bad is fine, but this effort level and acceptence of failure isn’t. Losing is contagious

Would be nice to get a coach to play the young guys like Vancouver plays their young guys. You know, as the future core of the team. Instead, we have Blashill coaching like we're a contender riding the veterans. I'm obviously exaggerating a bit, but the point remains, there's no reason to not give Mantha, Larkin and AA the majority of offensive zone opportunities. We all know what Z, Nyquist and Tatar can do.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Do we have any OT wins beside the SO?!? And that goal was bullshit!! How is that not interference on Howard? Shit noncall on a OT goal.

Reactions: aar000n

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
lol, and Dekeyser overstates his man in the defensive end to boot. But let’s blame AA!!!

If that’s Zetterberg holding on tonthat puck, everyone is bitching about the late man back and not AA. The anti-AA obsession is just too much.

Reactions: 21 Savage

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Do we have any OT wins beside the SO?!? And that goal was bull****!! How is that not interference on Howard? **** noncall on a OT goal.

I have no idea Howard was clearly kicked away to open the net.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
AA was left isolated there. You can't play dump and chase in OT, so they've got to support their man there.

In other news, bar the defensive backchecking which was strong from the wings, that has to be one of the dullest, least skilled NHL games I've ever seen.

I know this is a mediocre to weak roster, but apart from that one good run of games, Blash has them painful to watch. Has anyone objectively improved on his watch. If Blash doesn't get the can before next season, I might have to start actively missing games. No puck support, no interplay in the neutral zone...just north south and perimeter and dump. Even the powerplay has gone back to people in set positions and straight lines, when it was proving more effective before when there was more rotation.

The only team element that is working reasonably well is Larkin's line driving possession and Neilsen's line frustrating other forwards. the 11/7 is now a joke, and Z's line is just bad despite all 3 players doing their best. Z needs size or speed, and he's not really got either with him.

As for our D...its either hail mary stretch passes or chip it out and dump it in. Bar decent use of speed, Blash can't stick with something more progressive, and it always reverts to all the bad bits of Babs as soon as results go badly or pressure kicks in.

I'd be astounded if another coach couldn't make this roster more entertaining to watch.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

We don’t know if he was called off the ice. Coaches utilize the length of the bench in 3 on 3. If the 3rd man got off on the opposite side of the bench, I’d bet that was a coaches call. Wouldn’t surprise me either, considering how many bench minors Blashill incurs.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Do we have any OT wins beside the SO?!? And that goal was bull****!! How is that not interference on Howard? **** noncall on a OT goal.

Wouldn’t have mattered if we had a single guy who can finish on this team. They basically had 2 good chances all night and capitalized on both, wings had tuns but nobody knows how to finish and we just made Reimer look like Patrick Roy

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Wouldn’t have mattered if we had a single guy who can finish on this team. They basically had 2 good chances all night and capitalized on both, wings had tuns but nobody knows how to finish and we just made Reimer look like Patrick Roy

Roymer.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
We don’t know if he was called off the ice. Coaches utilize the length of the bench in 3 on 3. If the 3rd man got off on the opposite side of the bench, I’d bet that was a coaches call. Wouldn’t surprise me either, considering how many bench minors Blashill incurs.

I wish there was an easy way to look up who has the most bench minors, but Blash definitely has had a ton the last year and a half.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Oof. I have a feeling he didn't hustle to the bench or the guy coming off wasn't prepared because it seems like someone coming off the bench should've been somewhere closer to the play if you make a good change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad