GDT: Panthers @ Wings | 7:30PM ET | The Why is Jimmy Howard Still Starting? Edition

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Despite my desire to the contrary, this feels like a game where Detroit finds an opponent who plays even uglier than they do, and the Wings get a win.

If so, I hope it's past regulation, so the Panthers get a point as well.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
We always lose against the panthers it feels like. Good thing they ditched gallant, it actually allowed us to beat them already this season.

A game between to terrible teams could go either way

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Howard got shelled the last game and has been terrible lately. We all know what Howard is, might as well let Mrazek play to see what he can do. If neither guy can make a save, then we have some decisions to make.
When both options look bad, I believe standard operating procedure is to go with the older player. Because reasons.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Despite my desire to the contrary, this feels like a game where Detroit finds an opponent who plays even uglier than they do, and the Wings get a win.

If so, I hope it's past regulation, so the Panthers get a point as well.

This is disgusting. It has never not been disgusting. "Despite my desire to the contrary, my team has a chance to win today".

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is disgusting. It has never not been disgusting. "Despite my desire to the contrary, my team has a chance to win today".
To each their own. I want this chapter of Red Wing hockey over as soon as possible, including a change at GM. YMMV.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Howard got shelled the last game and has been terrible lately. We all know what Howard is, might as well let Mrazek play to see what he can do. If neither guy can make a save, then we have some decisions to make.

It's pretty obvious neither can make a save right now. Howard has at least been good at some point this season for a stretch of time. Mrazek hasn't given a coach any reason to start him, and I say that as someone who was a big fan of him coming up.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's pretty obvious neither can make a save right now. Howard has at least been good at some point this season for a stretch of time. Mrazek hasn't given a coach any reason to start him, and I say that as someone who was a big fan of him coming up.
I don't really care about short term success, so I don't see why we should keep riding the elder goaltender (who as I have said before isn't going to be part of the new identity of the Wings) for the sake of them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't really care about short term success, so I don't see why we should keep riding the elder goaltender (who as I have said before isn't going to be part of the new identity of the Wings) for the sake of them.

The old goaltender is better statistically in every way, by a decent gap. I agree with you, but it's not us who has our job on the line.

Only way Blashill would do what you are asking for is if ownership/Holland was telling him we don't care about the record of this team we just want to play the kids, which I doubt very much is something the Wings are signing off on at this point in time.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

What does the team gain by Mrazek riding the bench and losing him next season? Let him play a string of games and if he really sucks, then we know we can cut bait with him in the offseason. I'm already ready get rid of both Mrazek and Howard.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Many of us think mrazek won't be back next season. I personally do not care who starts for us this season (or next, actually)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What does the team gain by Mrazek riding the bench and losing him next season? Let him play a string of games and if he really sucks, then we know we can cut bait with him in the offseason. I'm already ready get rid of both Mrazek and Howard.
While I agree, I think management has already made their decisions, both on priorities for this season and on Mrazek's fate.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Because I think your play has to justify it. And Mrazek's play hasn't even warranted giving him a chance. He's been awful since February.

16-17 season
Dec 16 - .876 SV%
Jan 17 - . 888 SV%
Feb 17 - .923 SV%
Mar 17 - .894 SV%
Apr 17 - .907 SV%

17-18 season
Oct 17 - .901 SV%
Nov 17 - .902 SV%
Dec 17 - .811 SV%

He's been pretty brutal for about a year now. We've seen him 60 times since the start of last year. Losing him is a non-issue at this point. Probably better than him heating up and persuading us into re-signing him when he can't maintain a high level of play.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think you are all going to be sorry if we let Mrazek walk! Kenny was and is pissed the kid questioned him. It would not matter who you stick in our net right now this team would still lose.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Because I think your play has to justify it. And Mrazek's play hasn't even warranted giving him a chance. He's been awful since February.

16-17 season
Dec 16 - .876 SV%
Jan 17 - . 888 SV%
Feb 17 - .923 SV%
Mar 17 - .894 SV%
Apr 17 - .907 SV%

17-18 season
Oct 17 - .901 SV%
Nov 17 - .902 SV%
Dec 17 - .811 SV%

He's been pretty brutal for about a year now. We've seen him 60 times since the start of last year. Losing him is a non-issue at this point. Probably better than him heating up and persuading us into re-signing him when he can't maintain a high level of play.

It's really been since around mid February 2016 that he's been mostly awful.

I think the front office made their decision on him when they left him unprotected and he's basically been viewed as a warm body to sit on the bench since they'd have to cough up assets to get rid of his salary.

The part I bolded is on point though. If he gets hot at some point this season, Holland (or whoever) probably goes into "safe mode" and hands him an extension and then we get "whining about the overpaid bad goalie 2.0" for the next few seasons.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think you are all going to be sorry if we let Mrazek walk! Kenny was and is pissed the kid questioned him. It would not matter who you stick in our net right now this team would still lose.

Actually, this is one where Holland got it right. Holland didn't think Mrazek deserved starter money after his 15/16 season that peaked hard and crashed harder, and he was 100% right.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Jimmy Howard's 14/15 season:
- Starts off hot
- Cools down
- Starts to suck
- Gets injured
- Comes back and sucks even worse

Jimmy Howard's 15/16 season:
- Starts off hot
- Cools down
- Starts to suck
- Gets injured

Jimmy Howard's 16/17 season:
- Starts off hot
- Cools down
- Starts to suck
- Gets injured

Jimmy Howard's 17/18 season:
- Starts off hot
- Cools down
- Starts to suck <------ YOU ARE HERE
- Gets injured

Mrazek might suck as well but there is the chance that he just needs to find his confidence again which he won't do while sitting on the bench. We've already squeezed all we can out of Howard so we're not losing anything by doing so anyway.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
its actually imperative that we lose all matchups with our fellow bottom feeders. I don't care if we get a few wins against playoff teams but we cant afford to beat florida or buffalo

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I can't believe we're arguing about goalies on THIS team :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's my personal opinion that we should rotate them every game until one picks it up again (ie team overall stops being absolutely terrible in the defensive zone). If you're trying to showcase Howard for a trade, give him easier games and don't overwork him to the point of breaking. If you're trying to see if Mrazek can salvage his career, then why are you not playing him more? Current scenario makes little sense to me. The team's not playoff-bound regardless of how well either goalie is playing. It just ain't happening.

More on topic, I'm feeling an OT loss. The Panthers look like the dominant team for the most part, yet we somehow manage to scrounge points against them.

Reactions: lomekian and Dotter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad