Panthers at the 2018 IIHF World Championship, May 4th - 20th in Denmark

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Bob the first to be confirmed, we'll probably find out about the players at the exit meeting tomorrow. My guess is Borg, Bjugstad & Dadonov. Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau, Vatrano & Malgin probably skip due to injuries, Ekblad & Matheson already have gold. Maybe McCoshen depending how good the team is, Mamin is tough to say because the Russians don't really pick depth guys from the NHL.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
stay away Bjug.

Last thing we need is an injury off a meaningless game

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Please stay healthy?
I can just see it - someone slams his head against the boards and we're back where we were two years ago...
To be fair, the chances that he gets nailed there are far less than in any regular season NHL game. NHL players are the best in the world when it comes to protecting themselves and being aware of opposing players that are out of their vision.

There isn't going to be a whole lot of physical play compared to the NHL, the big rink just doesn't suit that.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
To be fair, the chances that he gets nailed there are far less than in any regular season NHL game. NHL players are the best in the world when it comes to protecting themselves and being aware of opposing players that are out of their vision.

There isn't going to be a whole lot of physical play compared to the NHL, the big rink just doesn't suit that.

I think in a way the chances are actually higher he gets cheap shot. We've seen plenty of scrubs make dirty hits in WC

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
LoL people here start, meaningless Games are you dont want to represent your nation with the best as you can, or is this america first mentality.
International Tournament is always well visited, people no matter if the have Gold or not, mostly play for there nation. Most of the Players are proud to represent the Nation born with. But maybe its only a european thing.

finnishflash

Mar 19, 2018
I find it pretty funny how people comment on how meaningless the IIHF World Championships are. Fact is that most of the NHL season is also utterly meaningless. It all comes down to money.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think in a way the chances are actually higher he gets cheap shot. We've seen plenty of scrubs make dirty hits in WC
From what I remember, it's usually been European league players that get hurt (goes back to the point I made about NHL players being more aware, receiving hits is a huge problem in Liiga too). I can't think of any NHL players that got run over in the recent years. Though often the guilty party is an NHL player, like when Edler kneed that poor Swiss player in the final like 5 years ago.

I find it pretty funny how people comment on how meaningless the IIHF World Championships are. Fact is that most of the NHL season is also utterly meaningless. It all comes down to money.
Well in the grand scheme of things, the WHC isn't as highly regarded in the sport. It's tough to rate a tournament where the winner hinges on who gets the best NHL additions, or if Canada bothers to take it seriously.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Not sure if it was the World Championships but Bergenheim (aggravated existing groin) that led to his falling out with the Cats. Kopecky (concussion) and Tavares (knee) were both seriously injured at the Olympics. :(

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Well in the grand scheme of things, the WHC isn't as highly regarded in the sport. It's tough to rate a tournament where the winner hinges on who gets the best NHL additions, or if Canada bothers to take it seriously.

But you cant get into the triple Gold club without playing World Cup, also for some Player who missed the PO winning a Tournament and a gold medal is good for the own mental, including the media interviews and show visiting after a Gold medal win, means more Money. ;)

Most of the Player like Barkov and other also said in the Interview the play the Game cause they love the Sport, so for those Hockey season is not done and they can play a little bit more Hockey.
For Injurys , im not sure how other teams handle this, but if an NHL Player only mention he could get hurt by a check or is in Pain after a Check, they sit him out or directly go home. So if not Kovalchuck make another knee to knee check in an international Game, the Chance for real serious Injuries is low. Beside Goalies, cause those Injuries happen mostly without any influence form outside.

Reactions: Sportpsych90

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Hopefully Barkov doesn't play. His shoulder was injured and I, and I am sure others too, don't want him to subject himself to a more serious shoulder injury.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
if i remember correctly the last time ekblad went he got concussed.and the following season with the cats was atrocious. i would prefer he rest and work on his game and skating along with trochek, barky, vatrano, etc. i assume reimer is a no go as well. at least i hope so.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
But is a nice Question can they Club decide if they allowed or not? Cause the Season is done what they do in the Offseason for the NHL could belong to the Player or did the Team you sign also say when you play and where you play. Have someone more insight what the contract saying or rules about it. Im wondering, cause mostly they Player was only asked if they want, not the Club decided if they can. Did something change?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, the club can decide, I don't know the exact wording, but each club can say no. Normally you talk to each other and if there is a player who is injured or banged up no (good) national coach would call him to play a WC.
I don't know what's the reason behind Malgin not being allowed to play. It's been communicated by the Swiss federation that he's not allowed to play by the Panthers.
NHL-teams tend to forget that no player who is playing in the NHL right now would be there without the work of federations which are doing so much to grow the players when they are young (and promote the game, by the way). Sometimes you have to give back something. (All that saying without knowing what's the problem with Malgin, there could be a good reason for it).

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
if i remember correctly the last time ekblad went he got concussed.and the following season with the cats was atrocious. i would prefer he rest and work on his game and skating along with trochek, barky, vatrano, etc. i assume reimer is a no go as well. at least i hope so.
That was the World Cup of Hockey and just a week before training camp opened, and those games were played in Toronto on a regular NHL sized rink.

Reactions: Ratsreign

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Yeah, the club can decide, I don't know the exact wording, but each club can say no. Normally you talk to each other and if there is a player who is injured or banged up no (good) national coach would call him to play a WC.
I don't know what's the reason behind Malgin not being allowed to play. It's been communicated by the Swiss federation that he's not allowed to play by the Panthers.
NHL-teams tend to forget that no player who is playing in the NHL right now would be there without the work of federations which are doing so much to grow the players when they are young (and promote the game, by the way). Sometimes you have to give back something. (All that saying without knowing what's the problem with Malgin, there could be a good reason for it).
He was injured for a couple weeks and then was in&out the line-up the last 10-15 games, so I think he wasn't 100% when he came back. No other reason to keep him out of the line-up when he'd been a regular (IIRC he wasn't a healthy scratch after being re-called from Springfield) for most of the season.

It makes sense that the Panthers want to keep him out, same thing happened to Barkov in 2014.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
what is happening with the other forward from finland. barkies buddy. he looked really good when he was up and even though he was small he played a good defensive game. what's happening with him? glad malgin is out as well.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
what is happening with the other forward from finland. barkies buddy. he looked really good when he was up and even though he was small he played a good defensive game. what's happening with him? glad malgin is out as well.
Haapala is still playing in the Liiga playoffs and the national team doesn't announce players that are still playing. If they want him, we'll hear about it somewhere between the 23rd (game 4) and 28th (potential game 7) this month, depending how long the final series takes.

However he's missed some games, which is more than likely related to the same injury/injuries he had in Springfield. So I doubt he's going there, Panthers could say no like they did with Malgin too.

Reactions: harv33173

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad