Panthers at the 2018 IIHF World Championship, May 4th - 20th in Denmark

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Not to sound like a sore loser, but I hate how the IIHF refs always let so many things slide for the host nation (this has gone in favour of Finland in the past as well when we've hosted). 3 minor penalties for Denmark in that prison hockey game is a f***ing joke.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
How it ended could only saw it till end of the 2nd, the Finn vs Denmark Game.

But yes the Refs in the IIHF WM are a joke, you have 2 or 3 okay-good and the rest you can dumb in the Trash-Can

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It would be great to keep Säteri as the number 3, but it's starting to look very unlikely with performances like this. Unless some team wants to take Reimer for whatever reason.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
It would be great to keep Säteri as the number 3, but it's starting to look very unlikely with performances like this. Unless some team wants to take Reimer for whatever reason.
Yup, he's gone. Too many teams looking for solid #2 that can afford more than we can. We're stuck with a couple of goalie's that are made of glass. Option is buying Reimer out for $4.7M but a big cap hit 20-21 of $3.3M. It could work if Lu retired 6/2019 or 6/2020 and Nucks got hit with the big Cap recapture penalty if the new CBA doesn't redo the math and dump most of it on Florida. :)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Not a good game by Ekblad, calls out Finns for diving after taking a stupid penalty and starts bragging on how much money he's making.

Maybe he should focus on his game and actually try to develop and be worth that money.

The guys has a sense of entitlement. Focused on munching twinkies after he got that pile of cash secured and still doesn't look even remotely like an elite dman in the league which that contract would indicate. #Character.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Not a good game by Ekblad, calls out Finns for diving after taking a stupid penalty and starts bragging on how much money he's making.

Maybe he should focus on his game and actually try to develop and be worth that money.
Actually he looked about the only Canadian d-man that knew what he was doing in that game. Edmundson/Parayko pairing was especially brutal and I think Peters benched them towards the end of the game.

Savinainen got under his skin no doubt (IMO should've been a diving penalty to Savinainen on that call Ekblad was complaining about, matching minors), but that doesn't mitigate everything else he did. Trash talking has been a part of the game since the very beginning.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Couldn’t have said it better. One of the bigger reasons I don’t want him wearing the C.

Reactions: BB88

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Actually he looked about the only Canadian d-man that knew what he was doing in that game. Edmundson/Parayko pairing was especially brutal and I think Peters benched them towards the end of the game.

Savinainen got under his skin no doubt (IMO should've been a diving penalty to Savinainen on that call Ekblad was complaining about, matching minors), but that doesn't mitigate everything else he did. Trash talking has been a part of the game since the very beginning.

I was more commenting on his behavior.

Trash talking insides game is fine, it's fun, but he went to cry to media afterwards about diving, when Canada took stupid penalties all game and just looked bad plainly. They failed to show up.
I also think bragging about money on Worlds games is weak, and low character, especially for guys like Ekblad.

The guys has a sense of entitlement. Focused on munching twinkies after he got that pile of cash secured and still hasn't doesn't look even remotely like an elite dman in the league which that contract would indicate. #Character.

He has gotten so much, too much in his early career just based on his draft hype.

It's time to put the work in and be that D-man Florida needs and he needs to be with that money. He didn't left money on the table.

Reactions: I am not exposed

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I was more commenting on his behavior.

Trash talking insides game is fine, it's fun, but he went to cry to media afterwards about diving, when Canada took stupid penalties all game and just looked bad plainly. They failed to show up.
I also think bragging about money on Worlds games is weak, and low character, especially for guys like Ekblad.
Idk if I'd count that as crying, if he's still talking about it the next day then yes. It was an interview he gave after a frustrating game and it's easier to put the blame on the other team/refs, than bluntly say 1) our goalies were garbage, 2) our players took moronic penalties (myself included) & 3) our captain tried to one-man-show win the game and ended up costing the team. Savinainen is a known pest, so I'm really not that surprised he managed to get under Ekblad's skin (+ I'm pretty sure there was a couple of other guys who had a half-wrestling match with Savinainen during the game too, so he wasn't the only one). I'd be more worried if Ekblad lost his cool to someone who isn't known for pulling that stuff, say Aho or Honka for example.

And I'd be willing to bet that bragging about money (or the other way around, heckling a highly paid player if he's playing poorly) is a popular trash talking topic among the players, they just don't talk what happens on the ice that often because of "the code". I also don't buy Savinainen saying "I didn't say much to him" for a minute.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Idk if I'd count that as crying, if he's still talking about it the next day then yes. It was an interview he gave after a frustrating game and it's easier to put the blame on the other team/refs, than bluntly say 1) our goalies were garbage, 2) our players took moronic penalties (myself included) & 3) our captain tried to one-man-show win the game and ended up costing the team. Savinainen is a known pest, so I'm really not that surprised he managed to get under Ekblad's skin (+ I'm pretty sure there was a couple of other guys who had a half-wrestling match with Savinainen during the game too, so he wasn't the only one). I'd be more worried if Ekblad lost his cool to someone who isn't known for pulling that stuff, say Aho or Honka for example.

And I'd be willing to bet that bragging about money (or the other way around, heckling a highly paid player if he's playing poorly) is a popular trash talking topic among the players, they just don't talk what happens on the ice that often because of "the code". I also don't buy Savinainen saying "I didn't say much to him" for a minute.

Hypothetically, Ekblad gets named Panthers' next captain. Imagine he said that in a post game presser for the Cats. That's highly embarrassing and pathetic. We don't need anything like that moving forward.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hypothetically, Ekblad gets named Panthers' next captain. Imagine he said that in a post game presser for the Cats. That's highly embarrassing and pathetic. We don't need anything like that moving forward.
That's the thing, he isn't the captain of that team, nor does he have an "A". He has an "A" with the Panthers, has he ever said something like this post game with us? Nope and I remember plenty of times where he's been critical of himself.

I'm not sure why people are trying to draw a comparison from one comment in a tournament that's only relation to the NHL is the players that go there, to why Ekblad shouldn't be considered as the Panthers captain. Trocheck arguably runs his mouth more than what Ekblad does and on top of that he does the very thing Ekblad is complaining about (hint: diving), yet he has a large following to name him the captain.

Using the media as a tool is also common, maybe not as common in hockey, but in other sports. Instead of talking how Canada's goaltending is awful and putting more pressure on them, or how McJesus is playing too many minutes, the storyline from this game was Ekblad's comment about the other team. One could say that the media took the bait and ran with it.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Mamin left the game..Crashed hard into the boards and looked he like he favored one shoulder :/

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Did anyone see the Canada game vs Russia...Ekblad was really noticeable.. Making bad plays in both zones. Got outskated by Datsyuk

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
A small surprise, but let me say it again only a small surprise. Swiss kicking out Finnland with a 3:2 win.
Both Teams has NHL additions, also both nation have strong Leagues. And the last 5 Minutes of Finnland reminded me of Florida Panthers, you play good, skate good, looks good, but in the end you are not reached your Goal.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Invidual mistakes cost Finland the game. First Swiss goal Rantanen does a lazy fly-by that opens the road from the point for Nino, Riikola does a good job blocking the rebound, but gets no help on the third chance (Koivisto just standing there like "ummm"). Second goal no idea why Nutivaara goes to follow Meier so aggressively (I mean very unlikely that he scores from there, even if he gets a slight step in play), Koivisto loses his man and another open road to the goal for the Swiss player. Third goal Tolvanen goes to check the Swiss player in the neutral zone which obviously isn't his strength, who would've known he loses that battle and a 3on2 is created. Moser goes for the Potvin special (best pass in hockey), Rantanen doesn't hustle back to cover for Tolvanen's mistake and Hoffman gets an uncontentested empty net goal.

The d-core didn't have enough experience to handle the minutes they were given (kudos for trying their best though) and the supposed best defensive d-man of the group (Pokka) got exposed badly, Honka also was in big trouble if they got stuck in their own zone. Heiskanen and Riikola easily the top2 of that group, Koivisto was hit&miss. Nutivaara made some really bad decisions at both ends for an NHL player. Kivisto was okay, but you can't play him too much with his lack of foot speed. Honka was meh, great passer to exit the d-zone, but really a ghost in the offensive end + d-zone troubles. Pokka was baaaad and I can now see why he's been stuck in the AHL.

Also I very much disliked putting Tolvanen almost instantly to the Granlund/Rantanen line. Firstly the guy hadn't played in like a month when he came to the tournament and secondly his game complemented those two poorly. Kapanen wasn't great on that line, but at least the hustle he brought created something for them. Another thing worth noting is that Salmela, the guy that got taken out of the line-up to put Tolvanen in, was the team's leading faceoff man at the time. A team struggling to win faceoffs, takes their best faceoff man out of the line-up.. makes sense.

Goalies zero criticism. Maybe Husso let in a couple easy ones in the Denmark game, but even that is nitpicking. Sateri played great the whole tournament.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
A small surprise, but let me say it again only a small surprise. Swiss kicking out Finnland with a 3:2 win.
Both Teams has NHL additions, also both nation have strong Leagues. And the last 5 Minutes of Finnland reminded me of Florida Panthers, you play good, skate good, looks good, but in the end you are not reached your Goal.
And a god awful coach.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Also I very much disliked putting Tolvanen almost instantly to the Granlund/Rantanen line. Firstly the guy hadn't played in like a month when he came to the tournament and secondly his game complemented those two poorly. Kapanen wasn't great on that line, but at least the hustle he brought created something for them. Another thing worth noting is that Salmela, the guy that got taken out of the line-up to put Tolvanen in, was the team's leading faceoff man at the time. A team struggling to win faceoffs, takes their best faceoff man out of the line-up.. makes sense..

I'm not sure why some Finnish Posters thought Kapanen was the problem on that line, his speed created chance and he was defensively responsible in the neutral zone, brought some hustle/energy to that line. Tolvanen just wasn't a fit and never looked comfortable at any point. I also thought if anything, Granlund, for the most part, was struggling the most on that line....plays were dying on his stick or he would hold onto the puck far too long. I was cheering for the Fins because of Kapanen but mostly watched the games as a neutral observer, mostly indifferent

Edit: Woops thought I was on the main boards

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
And a god awful coach.
I'm not the biggest Marjamaki fan, but this was far from his fault. Medal rounds last year (World Cup not worth bringing up, too big of a challenge and let's be honest, the roster wasn't that good either compared to the other nations), Olympics one goal quarter final loss and now a close quarter final loss in a tournament where the team clearly showed moving towards a modern quick transition game.

However, I do think Jalonen is better suited for the job.

I'm not sure why some Finnish Posters thought Kapanen was the problem on that line, his speed created chance and he was defensively responsible in the neutral zone, brought some hustle/energy to that line. Tolvanen just wasn't a fit and never looked comfortable at any point. I also thought if anything, Granlund, for the most part, was struggling the most on that line....plays were dying on his stick or he would hold onto the puck far too long. I was cheering for the Fins because of Kapanen but mostly watched the games as a neutral observer, mostly indifferent

Edit: Woops thought I was on the main boards
I think it boils down to that Granlund & Rantanen are more established NHL players (along with Granlund's previous WHC success which makes him a god among men), so they get more rope when they make mistakes. Whereas Kapanen is just a 4th liner and has a history of being a primadonna with the national team (prior to the 2016 WJCs) in the past.

Tolvanen is probably the most overhyped Finnish prospect since Pulkkinen. He has a great shot no doubt, but his overall game really isn't all that good and that shot is too easy to take away on the PP. IMO the two biggest things holding him back are 1) skating isn't good enough to create seperation in 1on1 battles, and 2) he's a poor puck protector. Funny that I mentioned Pulkkinen, since (lack of) speed is what killed his NHL career before it even started.

Reactions: firstemperor

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'm not the biggest Marjamaki fan, but this was far from his fault. Medal rounds last year (World Cup not worth bringing up, too big of a challenge and let's be honest, the roster wasn't that good either compared to the other nations), Olympics one goal quarter final loss and now a close quarter final loss in a tournament where the team clearly showed moving towards a modern quick transition game.

However, I do think Jalonen is better suited for the job.

I think it boils down to that Granlund & Rantanen are more established NHL players (along with Granlund's previous WHC success which makes him a god among men), so they get more rope when they make mistakes. Whereas Kapanen is just a 4th liner and has a history of being a primadonna with the national team (prior to the 2016 WJCs) in the past.

Tolvanen is probably the most overhyped Finnish prospect since Pulkkinen. He has a great shot no doubt, but his overall game really isn't all that good and that shot is too easy to take away on the PP. IMO the two biggest things holding him back are 1) skating isn't good enough to create seperation in 1on1 battles, and 2) he's a poor puck protector. Funny that I mentioned Pulkkinen, since (lack of) speed is what killed his NHL career before it even started.
I’m not blaming him for everything but his decisions were piss poor in this tournament. I’m not even a Jalonen fan but it take him 100/100 of this trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->