Panthers at the 2018 IIHF World Championship, May 4th - 20th in Denmark

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
yes, i really think Haapala can help us in the future. probably as early as next year. i really liked his game and i believe he can play wing if needed although i believe he is a center. this is another player i hope they don't allow to go. he needs to get healthy and gain some muscle.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Interesting that Sateri decided to go, upcoming UFAs are usually pretty reluctant.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Didnt he go last year as well? And he was signed that year to a 1 year contract? I dont know
Last year it made sense because he was showcasing himself for an NHL contract and it paid off. NHL players that are about to become free agents usually don't go because they don't want to risk getting hurt and thus decreasing the value of the next contract. Tavares is the most obvious example of this year's UFA group.

Now Sateri isn't a big name that's about to earn millions, but it's still risky.

Reactions: Boothinator

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
didn't want dads to go. don't want anyone to go. so i guess so far dads and ekblad. hopefully that's it. maybe they withdraw.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Last year it made sense because he was showcasing himself for an NHL contract and it paid off. NHL players that are about to become free agents usually don't go because they don't want to risk getting hurt and thus decreasing the value of the next contract. Tavares is the most obvious example of this year's UFA group.

Now Sateri isn't a big name that's about to earn millions, but it's still risky.
Sateri's grin makes it look like he doesn't take stuff too seriously and will fly by the seat of his pants whatever happens....

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

This year he's showcasing himself for an even better NHL contract. A strong showing in the tourney will again pay off.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
This year he's showcasing himself for an even better NHL contract. A strong showing in the tourney will again pay off.
Even if he had a great tournament, which is very unlikely considering how weak this year's Finnish team is (zero NHL forwards so far and the d-men are AHL or NHL depth guys), I don't think it would change how teams view him. He's already a borderline NHL goalie with a small sample size, if some team really likes him, they're gonna give him a 1-way contract regardless of how he performs at this tournament.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Even if he had a great tournament, which is very unlikely considering how weak this year's Finnish team is (zero NHL forwards so far and the d-men are AHL or NHL depth guys), I don't think it would change how teams view him. He's already a borderline NHL goalie with a small sample size, if some team really likes him, they're gonna give him a 1-way contract regardless of how he performs at this tournament.
The small sample size is why I think playing will help him to possibly receive more offers for that 1-way contract. If he manages to stand on his head behind an overmatched team that's all the better for him.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Canada's lack of a true number 1 goalie might give the other teams a fighting chance, USA is kinda sketchy in that department as well.

Finland could have two of the top5 goalies in the tournament, which is pretty neat.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I find it pretty funny how people comment on how meaningless the IIHF World Championships are. Fact is that most of the NHL season is also utterly meaningless. It all comes down to money.

How is most of the NHL season meaningless? Without the regular season, we wouldn't know who qualifies for the playoffs to attain the ultimate goal, the Stanley Cup.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Its not the IHF WM is meaningless, its only the different Ways of developing in juniors. In europe without help of the national developing Programm most players doesnt have a chance to reach the NHL. That means also some kind of gratitude and social work. In North America besides NCAA who would say thanks to our nation for help to reach my Goal.

I see more selfishness in north america and self care includes Money. I think in europe with the developing you grow in a better Way. Otherwise you can´t say why barkov or other agree on Contract like we get.
On the other hand you have player like Toews, Crosby, McDavid and even Draisaitl who grow mostly in North America its all about Money, selfcare and profiling.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Its not the IHF WM is meaningless, its only the different Ways of developing in juniors. In europe without help of the national developing Programm most players doesnt have a chance to reach the NHL. That means also some kind of gratitude and social work. In North America besides NCAA who would say thanks to our nation for help to reach my Goal.

I see more selfishness in north america and self care includes Money. I think in europe with the developing you grow in a better Way. Otherwise you can´t say why barkov or other agree on Contract like we get.
On the other hand you have player like Toews, Crosby, McDavid and even Draisaitl who grow mostly in North America its all about Money, selfcare and profiling.

Why should Draisaitl get so much less than McDavid. If they hand so much to McDavid, then it is their own fault

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Btw Mamin is playing, scored a nice goal on a semi-breakaway against the Austrians (if that is actually a Challenge...)

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
didn't want dads to go. don't want anyone to go. so i guess so far dads and ekblad. hopefully that's it. maybe they withdraw.
I really didn't want ekblad to go. imagine if he gets a concussion there. it could be career threatening. I only want him playing games that matter for the panthers until a few years go by concussion free.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Dadonov looks very good so far with Datsyuk and Kaprizov. Mamin is ok as well. Scored a goall yeasterday. It was vs Austria and #6, though. But he had his moments in both first games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad