Prospect Info: Panthers 2018 Entry Draft Talk

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The term generational gets thrown around too often. Just because Dahlin is the clear front-runner to be the top pick, doesn't make him generational.

Elite or franchise level? Possibly, but I'd wait until he's played his first full season with men + Olympics + WHC to evaluate him better.

Reactions: Ghoste and Chaos2k7

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
even harder to rate a defensive prospect as generational, no matter how good they are theyre still a bit harder to guage and longer to develop. id say his skill set and abilities are absolutely elite, but generational is too much.

we couldnt go wrong with #1 or #2, a possible elite #1 d or a top line big goal scoring russian rw in the mold of a tarasenko/kucherov type for that top line.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
even harder to rate a defensive prospect as generational, no matter how good they are theyre still a bit harder to guage and longer to develop. id say his skill set and abilities are absolutely elite, but generational is too much.

we couldnt go wrong with #1 or #2, a possible elite #1 d or a top line big goal scoring russian rw in the mold of a tarasenko/kucherov type for that top line.

Yeah it sucks when we drafted we didn’t have a chance to draft Tarasenko or Kucherov. Oh wait :banghead::banghead::banghead:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Yeah it sucks when we drafted we didn’t have a chance to draft Tarasenko or Kucherov. Oh wait :banghead::banghead::banghead:
well, a lot of other teams too. its easier in hindsight. huberdeau and barkov were great picks at their slots, whats killing us is wasting a 3rd overall entirely, and a 1st overall that may not be a true #1 at that position...and both were D. im not big on drafting d so high. depends on the circumstances though, unfortunately ekblad was the best pick available at #1, its just lousy lucky we had to get #1 that year. id take Dahlin #1 this year tho even with a great talent like svechnikov avilable. but in general i think you build forwards with those earliest picks. d are too hard to truly gauge and take longer to develop, mid-first round and high-second round are perfectly fine spots.with D being such a valuable position and true top line D being incredibly difficult to find or trade for, drafting is the only real solution so gm's draft high with the hopes they can become that but sometimes they dont pan out and plenty of quality can still be found in the mid-first. look at karlsson, you never know.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I want the Oilers to make the playoffs more than any other team just so they don't draft Dahlin!

Anything less than a divisional title would be hilarious.

Year over year garunteed results being what they are.

Same in Toronto.

You know with Babcock, and McLellan being "far superior" coaches than say a GG or a BB.

Last edited:
Reactions: RainingRats

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
Is McDavid generational to you? Dahlin is the best defensive prospect ever. If you compare him to Karlsson Dahlin is miles better at the same age and its not even close. Regardless they don't play a comparable style.

the best defensive prospect ever? said literally noone but u that ive seen. I dont know how u figure this. he doesnt even have a slap shot. everything else looks nice on him but not generational to me. yes mcdavid is generational in that he is the best player of his generation and noones gonna come along to challenge him in all likelihood. if they do, then they are and hes not.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Anything less than a divisional title would be hilarious.

Year over year garunteed results being what they are.

Same in Toronto.

You know with Babcock, and McLellan being "far superior" coaches than say a GG or a BB.
Yup, exactly. Very interesting to see Chicago go from finishing #1 in conference to non playoff team right now. It's almost as if previous success has no guarantee on future success in a league with a ton of parity. Minny is a good example too. LA is the opposite.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
the more u look at our roster and cap hits it really makes no sense for us not to tank this year. assuming the owners wont sell the team if we dont start some winning this year, then tanking is the only real answer here. getting dahlin would instantly change our whole look on defense and getting svechnikov would give us a real scorer. add this to our sick prospects and the not so sick ones that we can package in a deal to ship off yandle and the roster will be looking really good pretty much overnight from really bad. we have a lot of good contracts and a few terrible ones. removing a terrible one and getting our awesome new guys in plus the top 1-3 pick this year and i might remember how to not wanna kill myself. trying to win games this year is insane. its not gonna get us anywhere. if we tank, then 2 years from now we will be an amazing team. 2019-20 we would have an unbelievable roster...

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
the best defensive prospect ever? said literally noone but u that ive seen. I dont know how u figure this. he doesnt even have a slap shot. everything else looks nice on him but not generational to me. yes mcdavid is generational in that he is the best player of his generation and noones gonna come along to challenge him in all likelihood. if they do, then they are and hes not.

He doesn't have a slap shot?? lmao I'm sorry you couldn't see that in the 3 youtube videos you looked at. He is better than any defensive prospect to date. Look it up you don't want to believe it. Do some reading. This is the best defensive prospect period. He is in the same tier as Connor McDavid.

When evaluating McDavid how does anyone know if he will be the next big thing? They evaluate his skillset and what he does in regards to his peers. When you evaluate Dahlins skillset and what he does, he is head and shoulders better than any d prospect ever. Do some reading do some evaluating and lol at the slapshot comment that is hilarious.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
the more u look at our roster and cap hits it really makes no sense for us not to tank this year. assuming the owners wont sell the team if we dont start some winning this year, then tanking is the only real answer here. getting dahlin would instantly change our whole look on defense and getting svechnikov would give us a real scorer. add this to our sick prospects and the not so sick ones that we can package in a deal to ship off yandle and the roster will be looking really good pretty much overnight from really bad. we have a lot of good contracts and a few terrible ones. removing a terrible one and getting our awesome new guys in plus the top 1-3 pick this year and i might remember how to not wanna kill myself. trying to win games this year is insane. its not gonna get us anywhere. if we tank, then 2 years from now we will be an amazing team. 2019-20 we would have an unbelievable roster...
We have all heard and said this before, lol. We've also waited for nothing. I know that sounds condescending, that is not my intention.

Reactions: EnforceTheLaus

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
The term generational gets thrown around too often. Just because Dahlin is the clear front-runner to be the top pick, doesn't make him generational.

Elite or franchise level? Possibly, but I'd wait until he's played his first full season with men + Olympics + WHC to evaluate him better.

You are making an assumption that because he is a front runner he is not a generational player. Again ill echo what I told the poster above, he is the best defensive prospect ever. Do some research on the kid he is not a usual number 1 overall. He is a very very special player.

A lot of people on this board are going to wish we tanked this year or were bad enough to snag him. Svechnikov is no where close to him.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You are making an assumption that because he is a front runner he is not a generational player. Again ill echo what I told the poster above, he is the best defensive prospect ever. Do some research on the kid he is not a usual number 1 overall. He is a very very special player.

A lot of people on this board are going to wish we tanked this year or were bad enough to snag him. Svechnikov is no where close to him.
No, I'm saying that because of how he's waaaaay ahead of everyone else in that draft class, people are overestimating him because of it + the current social media era hype surrounding him. I'm well aware of the hype train around him.

Is he a top tier prospect, potential franchise level talent? Yes.
Does that instantly make him generational? No.

The league hasn't had a generational d-man since Lidstrom retired.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
McDavid doesn't have a slap shot either.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
With one clear cut nobody even close #1 pick available. Who's predicted to be available when we pick at #3?

Reactions: StrangeVision

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
assuming Dahlin and Svechnikov are out of the picture (just going by the odds), the next 4 i would be looking at are (assuming we dont go with Boqvist, although i freaking love him too, but assuming we go forward) Kupari, Wahlstrom, Zadina, and Tkachuk.

Kupari would be my pick, with the other 3 guys are tied and close behind, theyd all be great players. Kupari looks fantastic, great speed, high end skill, a great release and shot, the finns have really been pumping out quality like a factory and id imagine kek will love him. Borgstrom-Kupari would be nasty.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
We need a damn in the first round. We literally have nothing good in the system. Maybe even first two rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad