Prospect Info: Panthers 2018 Entry Draft Talk

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Not so IMO. Dahlin looks amazing, plenty of good dmen, plenty of good wingers too. Only looks weak at center, which actually suits us fine.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
yea dahlins not happening. and were obviously picking a d man so svechnikovs out. I guess even if we pick 3rd over 2nd its alright cause svech will go second and we'll get the other swedish D stud. wont matter unless we can get rid of the 3 defense albatrosses which will never happen

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
yea dahlins not happening. and were obviously picking a d man so svechnikovs out. I guess even if we pick 3rd over 2nd its alright cause svech will go second and we'll get the other swedish D stud. wont matter unless we can get rid of the 3 defense albatrosses which will never happen
if dahlin and svech are off the board, as much as i freaking love boqvist i dont know if id pick him. hes 5'9 (?), awesome shot and offensive skills but will hardly be relied upon for his d. i also dont believe in drafting d that high unless theyre that good (dahlin, hedman, doughty, etc) or thats what the situation dictates (ekblad). between kupari, tkachuk, wahlstrom, and zadina, theres good forwards available. you cant miss high in the draft, i say go forward. d are too hard to gauge and take too long to develop. we already have ekblad, former 1st overall, and matheson, former 1st rounder, along with mccoshen, early 2nd rounder. we've drafted most of our d-corp (weegar and petrovic too). if we need immediate d help we can look to trades and ufa signings.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
There is no chance with Edmonton been down there too and need another great D to there core. My bet goes on Edmonton 1st again. ^^
the same teams do tend to get all the best players. edmonton with gretzky, messier, mcdavid. pittsburg with mario, jagr, crosby, malkin. its like only certain teams are alowed to have the generationals. and um. yea were not one.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
the same teams do tend to get all the best players. edmonton with gretzky, messier, mcdavid. pittsburg with mario, jagr, crosby, malkin. its like only certain teams are alowed to have the generationals. and um. yea were not one.

"Seem to get all the generational players"

The league gifted Crosby to save the Pens franchise, and after 3 #1s they had to do the same in Edmonton with McDavid. Yes yes, random, draft integrity blah blah, they will not move a team that wins a Cup. Nor should you have to, but not like that.

Jagr was a case of bad drafting by other teams and having fear over whether or not he would come over. This still happens today.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
"Seem to get all the generational players"

The league gifted Crosby to save the Pens franchise, and after 3 #1s they had to do the same in Edmonton with McDavid. Yes yes, random, draft integrity blah blah, they will not move a team that wins a Cup. Nor should you have to, but not like that.

Jagr was a case of bad drafting by other teams and having fear over whether or not he would come over. This still happens today.

Lol. That is laughable that you think the league wanted Edmonton to have McDavid. They were one of the last teams the league wanted to get McDavid.
That draft should have proven that the lottery is not rigged! Unbelievable that a few still think it is!

Why did the Edmonton franchise need saving? Was their attendance bad? Nope! They have a saturated market. They pretty much sell out every game even when they are doing horribly.

If any franchise needs saving, it is obviously Arizona. Yet they missed on McDavid and Matthews! Hmmm, surely the franchise that Bettman is trying to save as best he can would give a generational player to them if the league was rigged.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Lol. That is laughable that you think the league wanted Edmonton to have McDavid. They were one of the last teams the league wanted to get McDavid.
That draft should have proven that the lottery is not rigged! Unbelievable that a few still think it is!

Why did the Edmonton franchise need saving? Was their attendance bad? Nope! They have a saturated market. They pretty much sell out every game even when they are doing horribly.

If any franchise needs saving, it is obviously Arizona. Yet they missed on McDavid and Matthews! Hmmm, surely the franchise that Bettman is trying to save as best he can would give a generational player to them if the league was rigged.
Bull, McDavid is the whole reason they ended up with the arena deal downtown. They needed an updated barn for league average in game profits. Saturated market with 500,000 people, lol. This isnt Toronto or Montreal, and all other Canadian teams are behind the 8 ball for mostly that reason the market size. They dont make huge money on TV deals, and currently its the same exact reason Calgary has taken the stance they have on their new arena proposal. I think they get something done there too though. Too much money in cow town to overlook the Flames. Also same thing in Ottawa with their new upcoming venue. Lo and behold now rumors of Melnyk wanting to sell, when he could finally flip a profit on the whole deal.

Again Arizona has won jack, they will move again, if they must.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Bull, McDavid is the whole reason they ended up with the arena deal downtown. They needed an updated barn for league average in game profits. Saturated market with 500,000 people, lol. This isnt Toronto or Montreal, and all other Canadian teams are behind the 8 ball for mostly that reason the market size. They dont make huge money on TV deals, and currently its the same exact reason Calgary has taken the stance they have on their new arena proposal. I think they get something done there too though. Too much money in cow town to overlook the Flames. Also same thing in Ottawa with their new upcoming venue. Lo and behold now rumors of Melnyk wanting to sell, when he could finally flip a profit on the whole deal.

Again Arizona has won jack, they will move again, if they must.

So which team will the NHL gift the 1st overall pick to this year?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
LOL, lets see who gets in the lottery.

Or we could discuss your theory on year after year improvements, and we could use the Oilers as an example. Gather your thoughts, I am sure this will be good.

Alright, when the lottery has been determined, we'll see who you pick. There are three teams determined by the lottery, and if there is a conspiracy, you should be able to know which teams will get those spots. :) Of course, if you pick incorrectly, you will still shout from the roof tops that the McDavid to the Oilers was fixed! LOL.

I never said every team is guaranteed to improve year on year. If you're talking about Florida, then I clearly stated we would take a step back from the division winning season. Even if changes hadn't taken place. I have to admit, I am surprised how poorly the Oilers are doing this year. But then, pretty much everyone had them making the playoffs, so I am not the only one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Alright, when the lottery has been determined, we'll see who you pick. There are three teams determined by the lottery, and if there is a conspiracy, you should be able to know which teams will get those spots. :) Of course, if you pick incorrectly, you will still shout from the roof tops that the McDavid to the Oilers was fixed! LOL.

I never said every team is guaranteed to improve year on year. If you're talking about Florida, then I clearly stated we would take a step back from the division winning season. Even if changes hadn't taken place. I have to admit, I am surprised how poorly the Oilers are doing this year. But then, pretty much everyone had them making the playoffs, so I am not the only one.

Hit me back, and I will take a stab at the draft lottery.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
One would assume we will draft our 1st and 2nd this year unless Tallon can add a top 6 forward with term for it, hopefully the last time drafting inside the top 10 for the next decade.

I'd go with a RD with the 1st pick and Evan Bouchard is my go to pick or Noah Dobson.

If possible I would trade up with the 2nd round pick to get a late first and draft another big defensive defenseman who can skate and be physical in his own end.

3rd round should be another goalie prospect and the 4th and after should be bottom 6 grinder types.

I doubt Tallon will make a bold move this year but hopefully at the draft he can grab some solid defense prospects and then we need one or both of Borgstrom and Tippett to make the team.

Offer up the 2019 1st + Pysyk for an upgrade on the 2nd pairing RD slot to give Weegar some more time on the bottom pairing. Petrovic should be traded at deadline, I don't see a future for him unless he wants to come back as the 6th-7th guy again on a one year deal.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
Obviously, want the #1 pick as Dahlin is a legit franchise changer, but if we don't get lucky I hope the Panthers stay in the top 4 of the draft because I think that next tier is the 3 wingers, Svechnikov, Tkachuck and Zadina and any of those would be a nice fit with what we have.

I want them on the team next year along with Tippett and Borgstrom, we need a serious infusion of talent and I don't care if they are rushed; they all have the offensive skill to be in the NHL and the times are a changing...more and more young players are being brought up right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad