Confirmed with Link: Panarin/Motte/2017 6th to Columbus for Saad/Anton Forsberg/2018 5th

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015
Are we still on the hook for Panarin's bonuses? I'm guessing yes but hoping no.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
At least we're done with the bread nickname. I freaking hate that.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Stupid trade done to prop up washed up captain

But if Saad plays with Kane/Anisimov it could be ok

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Saad-Toews-Panik
Hartman-Anisomov-Kane

Yeah, I like that a lot right now.

I'm not sure the second line will score as many goals, but they will definitely be better defensively.

Anisimov still has to learn how to win a damn face off though.

I really hope there's another move yet to be made. While I don't think Hoss would have had the same success this season as last, he did pot 26 goals. That production is going to have to come from somewhere and the Hawks presently do NOT have another forward on this roster that can do that.

There'd better be something else coming.

Pulyx

Jun 8, 2015
Brazil
Welp.
We better hope Debrincat pans out with Kane.

I like Saad, i really do.
Wonder if the defensive/speed gain will be able to outweight Panarin's production.

I don't hate this move like Hjalmmarsson's.
But i'm bummed because i really like Panarin

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'd have to analyze further based on the contracts (i.e., Saad 4 years remaining vs Panarin 2 years).

The loss of Hossa probably forced this, but I put this squarely on the decline of the most overrated and overpaid player in the league.

The logic was probably to the effect of 'hey Kane has proven he can play with anyone, but Toews has proven he can't, so we try to get Toews back right and hope Kane can spark magic with someone'.

My concern is that, in the last 3 days, the Hawks have just lost 3 of of the 6 wingers who play on lines 1-3.

Motte absolutely disappeared the last 20 games of the season and in playoffs, but he was a bright young talent. The cupboard is quite bear now.

I surely hope they Hawks have a bunch of other moves up their sleeves.

The D corps is a disaster once again and they just lost two significant offensive point producers.

I've never really been a big 'fire Bowman' guy, but...we'll always appreciate the Cups of course, but what he's done to this roster as a result of his OWN mismanagement of the cap and contracts is a complete disaster.

The Hawks are in the predicament they are in - which is a VERY significant one - squarely because of two people - Stan Bowman - for his contracts and Jonathon Toews - for the complete decline in his play.

87 point team, first round exit. Fortunately they'll get to play Arizona, Colorado and Vegas for 12 of their 82 games.

What do you mean the cupboard is quite bear? Are you thinking somehow trading Motte has some indication on the prospect depth... because they added a equal style prospect just the same in Dauphin both bouncing NHL/AHL last year 21/22 year old guys.

I don't get the moves to call it just proping up the team when both trade moves just got the team younger on each regard. The only way it didn't was with a Motte/Dauphin swap both but the team got younger and secured in younger long contracts not like more RFA or soon UFA issues with any.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Stupid trade done to prop up washed up captain

But if Saad plays with Kane/Anisimov it could be ok

That's precisely why it was done.

Kane - the 10.5M who has performed incredibly under his new deal, loses his toy so that Toews - the 10.5M guy who has failed miserably under his deal, gets his.

This was 100% about trying to get Toews right. Maybe he lose the silly diet, close his Twitter account and focus on hockey and not global warming and living up to his contract.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
What do you mean the cupboard is quite bear? Are you thinking somehow trading Motte has some indication on the prospect depth... because they added a equal style prospect just the same in Dauphin both bouncing NHL/AHL last year 21/22 year old guys.

My bad, I was conflating Motte with Schmaltz.

Gonna be interesting. I'm walking out the door in 10 minutes to take my kids to the Fan Fest and the Draft. Apparently Toews and Kane will be there signing autographs.

Gonna be really interesting!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But $10.5 #1 cannot. Longer put forth the "no LW" to play with excuse ..If he Fails to improve back to at least "normal " production. ..that is approx. 28-30 g and approx 40-45 assists..if he comes back with 58 points again with a lousy +/- nowhere near +25 then this gambit for Saad hardly makes any difference. .The problem is Toews and his willingness to Exert some sweat ..he has given us 2 seasons of only working hard for a 6 weeks spurt on the middle of the season each of the last 2 seasons.He has zero excuses now to complain about no LW...and sulking about it..I want to see hard work alk year from Toews ..he had better not slack off or go perimeter on us again for long long syreetchesbof the season ..

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Wow, my immediate reaction was that these were bad trades, I see most agree with that. Definitely going to take a step back next season.

The big contract you all wanted gone is Seabrook, I assume. It's a really bad contract mainly due to the term (the cap hit is acceptable). Just wondering, with Hammer gone, does that increase Seabrook's value to the franchise, to the point that you couldn't stomach losing him and leaving Keith all alone on that blueline? Or does he have to go for this team to retool and move forward?

If the Leafs could get him for little more than agreeing to take on his contract, would that be smart of them, or not? Is that an unrealistic expectation of his trade value? If so, what do you expect to get?

Business aside and speaking strictly on-ice, I'd love Seabrook as a Leaf. He's not that old, right handed, has a winning history, and is just the right skill set to complement Rielly on the 1st pairing, and balance out a defense corps that is, as a whole, small and offense-oriented.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Wow, my immediate reaction was that these were bad trades, I see most agree with that. Definitely going to take a step back next season.

The big contract you all wanted gone is Seabrook, I assume. It's a really bad contract mainly due to the term (the cap hit is acceptable). Just wondering, with Hammer gone, does that increase Seabrook's value to the franchise, to the point that you couldn't stomach losing him and leaving Keith all alone on that blueline? Or does he have to go for this team to retool and move forward?

If the Leafs could get him for little more than agreeing to take on his contract, would that be smart of them, or not? Is that an unrealistic expectation of his trade value? If so, what do you expect to get?

Business aside and speaking strictly on-ice, I'd love Seabrook as a Leaf. He's not that old, right handed, has a winning history, and is just the right skill set to complement Rielly on the 1st pairing, and balance out a defense corps that is, as a whole, small and offense-oriented.

Please convince him to waive his no trade clause and you can have him for a good prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad